Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many CCs is a good number? Also general raise Credit Score pointers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How many CCs is a good number? Also general raise Credit Score pointers

@darkariel7 wrote:

I would keep if they removed the AF when it became unsecured. I want to cancell it because they told me that they wont. Again though if Discovery IT is better why get so attached to one that I need to spend about 3900 on just to come out even. I get that building credit takes time. But why use an inferior card to do it?

If you already paid the AF for the year, At least keep it till the next AF is due, then try to get it waived and if they won't. Then cancel!

Message 11 of 22
negg
Frequent Contributor

That $39 will pay dividends in about 3 years. I'd pay it and play it year by year. 

GL

CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 12 of 22
darkariel7

Pretty much what I am planning at this point.

But on to the actual question. Is there any good number of CCs one should strive to keep? I also dont really have anything other than CCs building up my credit. Should I?

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@darkariel7 wrote:

Pretty much what I am planning at this point.

But on to the actual question. Is there any good number of CCs one should strive to keep? I also dont really have anything other than CCs building up my credit. Should I?

From what i've read 3-4 is supposed to be enough to maximize FICO score.

I personally have 9 Major CC's and 2 store use cards.

Im also an AU on 7 Major CC's, and 3 store use cards.

Message 14 of 22
Chris679
Established Contributor

$39 fee is not going to pay "dividends" in three years it is going to cost you $117. The account will report as a positive trade line for at least 10 yrs even if you close it now. If you can PC it and remove the fee before it's due then great, if not close it and move on.
Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also suggest you continue to pay the AF. The card will grow, unsecure and in another 6 months to year, call and request an upgrade to a non-AF card. BoA has some really nice credit cards.

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I also suggest you continue to pay the AF. The card will grow, unsecure and in another 6 months to year, call and request an upgrade to a non-AF card. BoA has some really nice credit cards.

+1

Message 17 of 22
darkariel7

They will not do that. I asked them if they would.

Message 18 of 22
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

@darkariel7 wrote:

They will not do that. I asked them if they would.

No bank (or very few banks) will unsecure a CC after 6 months.  Especially since it was your first card.   However, there is an excellent chance they will unsecure it at 1 year.  Give it time.  In the mean time, you might be able to PC it to the 321 card.

Message 19 of 22
darkariel7

No I mean even when it becomes unsecured they will not waive the fee. I asked specifically that.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.