cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many Cards do/can you actively manage at any one time.

tag
cjradinfo
Valued Member

Re: How many Cards do/can you actively manage at any one time.

I really like this post because I was just thinking to myself yesterday "Man...I've got a lot of different cards that I keep track of..." after logging into 3 sites to double check balances and due dates. 

Ultimately, my goal is to have and manage only 2 cards (CSP for daily spending and Freedom for 5% rewards but all going into the same points pool), while also keeping my hotel and travel cards on rotation based on where I'm staying or if I'm planning a trip in the future.  This gives me the flexibility of transferring UR points as needed to travel partners while also maximizing my points earned per stay and trip for hotels/airlines. 

Unfortunately, still working on hitting those sign-up bonus spending limits so my balances are all over the place right now : /

EX: 743 as of 11/14/14
Chase: CSP $15.9k | Chase Freedom $2.4k | Fairmont $5k | Marriott Premier $2k | Hyatt $1.1k | IHG $1k
AMEX: AMEX Platinum NPSL | Hilton HHonors $6k | SPG $4k | Delta Gold Card $2k
Citi: Hilton HHonors Reserve $5.6k
Barclaycard: Arrival+ $2.5k
Capital One: VentureOne $10k
Others: Discover it $1600 | Jared $7.6k
Message 21 of 77
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I do not have any closed tradelines and use all 8 of my cards. Already at the beginning I was very stubborn and applied only for the cards I wanted and not for the cards that were offered to me via pre-approval. I am happy with my selection and each card has its purpose. Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 77
NotUsher
Contributor

I manage all of my cards, most have monthly activity, but a few store cards are a little less used.

Main Cards

Fidelity AMEX: This is my everyday card. Most day-to-day expenses go on this as well as utility bills. Sees a few days in the sock drawer so that everything can post and I can PIF right before the statement cuts.

Barclay Arrival (no AF): Travel and dining (when Amex isn't accepted or if that card is sock drawered for post/pay period), current have the intro 0% so this gets some random shopping activity as well.

Penfed Platinum Rewards: Gas (and groceries when the Amex is on time-out).

Nordstrom Visa: Netflix and anything from Nordstrom.

USAA World MC: Basically just my monthly USAA insurance bills go here.

Store Cards

Restoration Hardware: This card used to be used a lot more when I was furnishing my apartment. Put like 20k through it in two years using their 0% for 12 months. Worked like a charm, especially since they give you rewards (5%) even when using the special financing. Now it's mostly the occasional purchase (consumables for the most part, but sheets/towels on occassion as well).

Pottery Barn: I usually get a $25 off $50 every few months, so that'll help keep this active. Pretty decent rewards when not using financing promo as well (10%). Haven't needed furniture lately, so this card hasn't seen too much activity lately.

I'm rather pleased with my system. I've been pondering the Amazon store or Chase card, but my monthly spend there isn't so much as to make the rewards that much better than just using my Fidelity Amex.

Message 23 of 77
sccredit
Valued Contributor

This is often a conversation between DW and I.

CSP - Everyday meals, etc

BCP - Groceries, Gas

Cap One Spark Miles - Business (being replaced by Chase Ink Cash)

Freedom - 1/4 categories

Discover it - 1/4 categories

Message 24 of 77
USF813
Frequent Contributor

I have three cards to manage. I typically only use one of them on a regular basis. Not difficult at all.

Message 25 of 77
chwebb1
Established Contributor

I personally regularly use four of my five cards. The fifth card will probably go away if Barclaycard gives me a CLI in December.

The order in which they get used:

American Express BCE: Used at almost every merchant that takes Amex

Citi Dividend: Used at places that don't take Amex, and also to show them some love every month.

Barclaycard Ring: I essentially use this as a glorified line of credit. The free balance transfer checks that can be written to anyone is a great feature of this card. And the 8% APR makes this even better.

Discover It: Used for the 5% categories.

I occasionally show my BB&T card some love, but I've only made one charge to it in the last three months. The rewards rate on this card is less than 1%, so I just don't see the point in using it.

I also have BML, but I don't use it too frequently. I think I've made one charge to it in 6 months.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 26 of 77
negg
Frequent Contributor

Cràp 1........Netflix only
Citi.............everyday stuff
Chase.......W/E the 1/4 5% is
FNBO........Amazon prime
BofA......... Cable bill & car insurance
Disc...........1/4 5% or sits
Barclay......Bal transfers only 0% for 18 months
Amex.........everyday, everything

All cc are due between the 14th and 18th. All set up for minumun payment. But on the 1st I set up manual PIF's.
CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 27 of 77
shanac
Frequent Contributor

I have 5 that I pay on each month and 5 that are put away. If they get any use, I PIF before statement cuts.

CSP (dining/everyday spend/always PIF)

Freedom (paying down 0% BT)

Citi Dividend WMC (paying down 0% BT)

Amex BCP (6% groceries-PIF/carrying a BAL due to unexpected expense but am in 0%APR period)

Nordstrom Visa (Nordstrom purchases)

iPhone. iTypos. iApologize

Current Score: EQ FICO 764 TU FICO 776 EX FICO 753
Goal Score: 800
Message 28 of 77
youngman1234
Established Contributor

Currently managing mine & my brothers: 22 cards all together. 18 mine 4 his
Message 29 of 77
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

I use all my 8 cards. It is not hard to manage them. Smiley Wink
Message 30 of 77
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.