Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many Credit Cards do you have?

tag
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

How many Credit Cards do you have?

I've just finally noticed that 6 credit cards is too much for me to handle.

I really hope that I'm not the only individual with this much credit cards...Smiley Indifferent

Just out of curiosity, how many credit cards do you have and what's your primary card?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 1 of 58
57 REPLIES 57
andre181
Established Contributor

Re: How many Credit Cards do you have?

Too many, but I just can't stop apping! Smiley Surprised

11 to be exact. I don't have a "primary card". Chase, Discover, and BoA are SD'd. FNBO and Barclay both have large balances from recent large purchases and will be paid off within 3 months, so I'm not using those right now. 

I am still anxiously waiting for my US Bank card to arrive in the mail. Once I get that, US Bank, Citi, WF, Amex, FNBO, and Cap1 M/C will be the only ones I will carry, and all the rest will be SD'd for a while.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 2 of 58
JMN
Frequent Contributor

24 or so, with a total combined credit limit of around $250k or so.

Despite my employment in the banking industry, any and all views contained in this post are purely my own, and do not represent any financial institution, nor constitute as financial or investment guidance or advise.
Message 3 of 58
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I have 5 currently and I know that I could get by with 3 if I had to. 

Message 4 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have currently have 2:

BankAmericard Cash Rewards-$2,000 cl

Citi Dividend Platinum Select for College Students-$4,000 cl

I had others but closed them due to low credit limits or high interest rates. Probably stupid, but I've already done it. I'm now going to stop apping and garden as I have too many inq's on my reports. I really don't need any more credit for my income as a college student and I'm sure these two cards will grow with me.

Message 5 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have twelve and I generally use Am Ex unless there is a special with some other card.

Message 6 of 58
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

9 total, and revolve 2 each month <3% util

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 7 of 58
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Message 8 of 58
ChampagneWishes
Valued Member

I have 4 now.  Just added Zync a month ago, and that's my primary.  Then have a Cap1 with a $2500 limit - it's my oldest card at 6.5 years, and no AF so I'll probably keep it forever.  Then Orchard ($500) and HSBC Best Buy MC ($400), both of which I will most certainly ditch when the time is right. 

4-5 cards is my goal, so I'm slowly switching out my sub-prime cards for better rewards and CLs.  Next app won't be till May or June...maybe Citi Forward?

Photobucket
Message 9 of 58
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

10, 3 of which are store cards.

I'm getting ready (have been for a year, lol) to combine the limits on my USAA cards and close the AmEx, and I'd be willing to close another, but so far they're all filling one niche or another in my budget, so there's no really obvious candidate. My plain-Jane AmEx Blue might get replaced by the Costco True Earnings in an attempt to get some real rewards.

I have each one earmarked for a separate purpose (gas, groceries, purchase protection on big-ticket items, etc.) so I only use maybe four during any given month, depending on who's doing which rewards now.

Since I balance my checkbook every morning, I also review the dates on each card at that time to see who needs to be paid. This works out well for me, but you definitely have to stay on top of things!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.