Reply
Regular Contributor
Posts: 165
Registered: ‎03-08-2012
0

Re: How many GE Capital Retail Bank cards can/do you have?


kimmiller112 wrote:

To the two people who asked about combining limits, GE will not let you do that.  You also can't product change - you have to apply for a new card.

 

I have two paypal accounts.  I have Bill Me Later on one of them and I got the Paypal MC on the other one.  You cannot have both on one account.  


I have all 3 (PPSC, PPEXMC, and BML) across 3 different Paypal accounts.......Using my same info just different Email Addys. 

New Visitor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎08-18-2013
0

Re: How many GE Capital Retail Bank cards can/do you have?

In my experience,GE Capital has a vast array of credit cards.They pull from Experian.There cards range from gas cards to Lowes.They have virtually any card you could ask for,and dont have to have a 750 score to be approved.

  Trans Union:712  Experian:698 Equifax:679

Lowe's 3500,Sams Club Discover2500,Amazon2500,Wolfs Furniture3500,Discover1000,Wal-Mart Discover2300Paypal smart connect 3200,Discount Tire1200hevron

 Guess i"ll get a Chevron card next.

  Ride Safe

New Visitor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎08-18-2013
0

Re: How many GE Capital Retail Bank cards can/do you have?

My understanding is if you have a Paypal smart connect account.You do not qualify for  Ebay or PayPal credit card

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 314
Registered: ‎09-04-2013
0

Re: How many GE Capital Retail Bank cards can/do you have?

I currently have a PayPal SmartConnect they gave me for $500 a few years ago which I NEVER use. I hate that thing.

 

But, I also have a CareCredit card which was at a $3500 CL, but I just called today and got it bumped to $5500!

 

I want to get another card from GE, but not sure what my best bet was for something with a high CL. I was thinking about the Walmart Discover, Amazon, Dillard's Amex, or PayPal MC, but I got the Smart Connect last time I applied for PayPal MC and don't want the INQ if I'm going to get declined for that again.

 

Any insight or advice?

 

Thank you!

Top 3: NFCU Flagship Sig Visa ($20k) | Chase IHG MC ($9k) | Amex PRG |

Less loved: Lowe's ($12k), USAA ($7k), Amex BCE ($5.5k), CareCredit ($7.5k), HHGregg ($4.5k), Cap1 QS ($4.5k), Cap1 QS2 ($2.5k), CU ($5k), Chase Freedom ($3.5k), NFCU goRewards ($5k), WF ($4.6k)

Starting scores 600-640 (2013), current 680-720 (2015); It is possible!

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 474
Registered: ‎04-09-2012
0

Re: How many GE Capital Retail Bank cards can/do you have?


nitrov wrote:

I currently have a PayPal SmartConnect they gave me for $500 a few years ago which I NEVER use. I hate that thing.

 

But, I also have a CareCredit card which was at a $3500 CL, but I just called today and got it bumped to $5500!

 

I want to get another card from GE, but not sure what my best bet was for something with a high CL. I was thinking about the Walmart Discover, Amazon, Dillard's Amex, or PayPal MC, but I got the Smart Connect last time I applied for PayPal MC and don't want the INQ if I'm going to get declined for that again.

 

Any insight or advice?

 

Thank you!


 

I don't know for sure, but I am guessing that if you have Smart Connect associated with a Paypal account, you are not going to be able to get the PayPal MC unless you apply for it under a different PayPal account.  If you tried using the one Smart Connect, that would probably be the reason why you were declined.  If you tried under a different account, then you may need to refer to the reasons you got denied for.  If that is the case, you may want to consider Walmart Discover - if you don't get approved for that, they may offer you the regular Walmart store card.  I also think that Amazon is a good way to go if you buy things from Amazon.  In my case, I had Bill Me Later (which is not GE) associated with my PayPal account.  When I decided to apply for my PayPal MC, I opened a new PayPal account using a different email address and applied through it.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 314
Registered: ‎09-04-2013
0

Re: How many GE Capital Retail Bank cards can/do you have?


kimmiller112 wrote:

nitrov wrote:

I currently have a PayPal SmartConnect they gave me for $500 a few years ago which I NEVER use. I hate that thing.

 

But, I also have a CareCredit card which was at a $3500 CL, but I just called today and got it bumped to $5500!

 

I want to get another card from GE, but not sure what my best bet was for something with a high CL. I was thinking about the Walmart Discover, Amazon, Dillard's Amex, or PayPal MC, but I got the Smart Connect last time I applied for PayPal MC and don't want the INQ if I'm going to get declined for that again.

 

Any insight or advice?

 

Thank you!


 

I don't know for sure, but I am guessing that if you have Smart Connect associated with a Paypal account, you are not going to be able to get the PayPal MC unless you apply for it under a different PayPal account.  If you tried using the one Smart Connect, that would probably be the reason why you were declined.  If you tried under a different account, then you may need to refer to the reasons you got denied for.  If that is the case, you may want to consider Walmart Discover - if you don't get approved for that, they may offer you the regular Walmart store card.  I also think that Amazon is a good way to go if you buy things from Amazon.  In my case, I had Bill Me Later (which is not GE) associated with my PayPal account.  When I decided to apply for my PayPal MC, I opened a new PayPal account using a different email address and applied through it.


That's not a bad idea about the new PayPal account, but don't you think they'd be able to figure it out through your SSN? I was contemplating closing the Smart Connect account anyway, but I don't know how long I'd have to have it closed before I can reapply for the PayPal MC. I'm thinking the Walmart Discover may be the way to go even though I despise Walmart Smiley LOL

Top 3: NFCU Flagship Sig Visa ($20k) | Chase IHG MC ($9k) | Amex PRG |

Less loved: Lowe's ($12k), USAA ($7k), Amex BCE ($5.5k), CareCredit ($7.5k), HHGregg ($4.5k), Cap1 QS ($4.5k), Cap1 QS2 ($2.5k), CU ($5k), Chase Freedom ($3.5k), NFCU goRewards ($5k), WF ($4.6k)

Starting scores 600-640 (2013), current 680-720 (2015); It is possible!

New Visitor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎10-31-2013
0

Re: How many GE Capital Retail Bank cards can/do you have?

[ Edited ]

kimmiller112 wrote:

To the two people who asked about combining limits, GE will not let you do that.  You also can't product change - you have to apply for a new card.

 

I have two paypal accounts.  I have Bill Me Later on one of them and I got the Paypal MC on the other one.  You cannot have both on one account.  


The store-specific nature of these GE Capital retail financing program accounts has become quite confusing and frustrating for me.  And not for the reasons you normally hear about this creditor.  Let me explain.

 

The basic rule and general understanding is that each GE Capital (GE Money) retail account is store-specific, so you need to get a separate account for each store.  That is usually true, but apparently not always.  More particularly, each store participates under a specific "program" associated with the account, and you need to have a separate account for each program.  The program name is prominently displayed on the mailer that your new card comes in, as well as in the very top left of every monthly bill, above the account upon login to the online account access website, but usually not on the card itself.

 

Every big name store (like Walmart, eBay, etc.) surely has its own GE Capital card program, however I recently found out that is not necessarily true for smaller stores.  If two stores are in the same program, you not only can use the same account in both stores, you also must!  GE Capital in fact denied me a new card account because the new card at the new store would have been in the same program as an existing account card we already had!  But how would I know that?

 

That creates a real problem, because the people who work in the retail stores have been trained to only process cards that have been applied for through them for purchases, and they usually know nothing what GE financing program the store participates through (or even that there is a program associated with the card).  The card itself doesn't show the program name either.  The application doesn't show the program.  And the real kicker, but it shouldn't surprise anyone, is GE Capital customer service itself also has no idea that the card program exists or what it is for a given account, and also has no way to find out what program a store is part of.  Closing the old account also does not immediately release you from membership in the program either!  And the store is not obligated to accept a card obtained from another store even if it is in the same program, they can force you to keep re-applying for an account you actually already have!  What a mess and what a joke!

 

So my evolving rules of GE Capital retail accounts are getting a bit complicated:

  1. You usually can only use an open account only at the store where you applied for it, but there are exceptions, depending on the program the store actually participates in. 
  2. You can have many accounts, however, depending on your credit.  But you cannot at any time have two or more accounts with the same store (program). 
  3. GE will not re-brand or product change or otherwise revise the store (program) the card belongs to.  You have to apply for a new separate account, a separate credit inquiry and credit review and credit reporting.
  4. GE will not combine multiple accounts or limits.  Each is treated independently.  You can close the accounts you don't want and must open new accounts that you do want.
  5. Once you close a GE retail account, you cannot re-open it, even the next day.  You must re-apply for a new account, subject to a new credit decision.
  6. If you are not instant approved, you could have to wait up to 45 days for a letter explaining the decision. (they took about 14 days in our case)
  7. Decision letters do not contain a phone number.  Customer service can transfer you to the credit review department, but their credit review people really don't seem to have the discretion to do anything except re-run the instant approval program.

The company itself seems to run mostly on auto-pilot, and any place where human intervention is needed (such as a manual credit review on a new account application), nobody knows what to do except say sorry.  Bottom line, GE Capital is really an awful credit card company, but it flourishes because it has a huge market share and some very appealing financing offers for consumers.  It charges the stores some pretty high percentages for processing financing payment offers for purchases (such as 9% on a no interest 24 months financing plan, none of which can't be assessed on the purchasing consumer), and also high percentages on consumers if you ever have the slightest payment problem.  Merciless.  The end result is the price of everything in the store likely includes a markup to cover that cost, in case you do use the financing.

New Visitor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎10-31-2013
0

Re: How many GE Capital Retail Bank cards can/do you have?

[ Edited ]

Really would appreciate it if future posts would include the "Program Name" associated with the GE cards...  The Program Name can be found on the mailer your card came with, at the very top left of each monthly statement, and above the account in the online account access website (gogecapital.com).  It is not the store name printed on the card itself.

 

Here's my info:

 

Crutchfield (SONY FINANCIAL SERVICES/GECRB) 4000 CL

Appliances Connection (GECAF/GECRB) 4000 CL (store name printed on card is "1 STOP  ELEC INTERNET")

Sleepy's (SLEEPY'S/GECRB) 6500 CL

Legacy 1 Furniture (HOME DESIGN - NAHFA/GECRB) 6500 CL

Country Willow (HOME DESIGN - NAHFA/GECRB) DENIED for duplicate program attempt.

 

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 256
Registered: ‎07-04-2008
0

Re: How many GE Capital Retail Bank cards can/do you have?

I have a few GE cards. I can't say they have been instrumental in my rebuilding, but I can say I like using them and the easy CLI process. Paypal Smart Connect - $2,000 Gap Store Card - $1,200 Walmart - $2,000 Dillard's AmEx - $5,000 (joint) I probably use Walmart the most because it is convenient. Dillard's AmEx sees a gas purchase every once in a while. I pay for myFico purchases using the SC.
Cards I Carry
$1K$1.1K$7.5K$10.1K$23K$12k$5k$6k$12.5k
Total Available Credit: $85.2k | FICOS: EX 643 | EQ 621 | TU 678
Store: Nordstrom Retail $6k and Target $800. Recently acquired: U.S. Bank Cash Rewards Visa $1k.
Established Contributor
Posts: 930
Registered: ‎07-30-2011
0

Re: How many GE Capital Retail Bank cards can/do you have?

I just have one GECRB card: my Walmart Discover.  The rewards are pretty terrible (0.25% cashback on purchases, 22.99% interest), but it does provide a free TU08 score, so it is worth keeping.  GECRB is wonderful at offering high CLs, so they are terrific for people rebuilding their credit even though their terms aren't the best.


Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.