cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many accounts before Synchrony sends you the blue envelope?

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: How many accounts before Synchrony sends you the blue envelope?

There's lots of speculation on this because every time we thought a common thread had been found somebody else would get a 'blue envelope' that didn't fit the pattern. 

My own speculation - for a while, anyway - was that people who were approved for multiple Syncrony cards in a short time span were being focused on, but then there were people who had been with Synchrony for years who were impacted so obviously it's more than that.

A few people also reported getting the 'blue envelope' after adding an AU to a Synchrony card, although I tend to think (hope?) there was more at play in those cases as well.

For more backround, here's a thread from back when the 'blue envelope' drama first started:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/What-the-heck-is-going-on-with-Synchrony/td-p/4669682

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the blue envie has a lot to do with financial responsibility to pay. Your actual income. I have seen people say that they sign up for these cards telling a little white lie (Gross income on one app might be 70k, and then 90k on another, 100k on another, etc.) to get big limits. When in fact, their income (maybe, say $40k) in no way can support these limits, should they wind up maxing them out.

Just think, $25k x 10+ cards is a lot of money/exposure.
So, you do know that banks, in the background, always (monthly) run a SP on your credit report and financial history.

No one can honestly vouch for anyone on a bulletin board, on the internet. You can't always believe what you read when people tell you about their finances, etc.

Who really knows what the criteria is. All I know is that I have run thru each and every one of my synch cards with actual use and have paid them all off to a $0 bal.

Message 12 of 13
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the blue envie has a lot to do with financial responsibility to pay. Your actual income. I have seen people say that they sign up for these cards telling a little white lie (Gross income on one app might be 70k, and then 90k on another, 100k on another, etc.) to get big limits. When in fact, their income (maybe, say $40k) in no way can support these limits, should they wind up maxing them out.

Just think, $25k x 10+ cards is a lot of money/exposure.
So, you do know that banks, in the background, always (monthly) run a SP on your credit report and financial history.

No one can honestly vouch for anyone on a bulletin board, on the internet. You can't always believe what you read when people tell you about their finances, etc.

Who really knows what the criteria is. All I know is that I have run thru each and every one of my synch cards with actual use and have paid them all off to a $0 bal.

DavioKanuri your input is very much appreciated and encouraged.  However I think it'd be a good idea for the thread to not steer the conversation towards others misrepresenting themselves or their financial situation to lender.  While this can certainly be a factor, I just know that conversation of such tend to take threads like this particular one downhill at a very fast pace.   Right now there are a lot of variables surrounding Synchrony and their request for financial verification but nothing specific has been pin-pointed.  I would encourage anyone who has their products to continue to use their cards responsibly and don't worry much about the unknown. 

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.