cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many applications with only one cc?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How many applications with only one cc?

If I see this correctly, I should have applied for the Amex and the Discover card at the same time, but unfortunately I didn't. Does it now make any difference if I apply for the Discover card now, a few days after I got approved for the Amex, or one or three months later? Should I wait or go ahead?

I'm aware that this would be some blind application. I have no idea what my Experian score is, and I think Amex and Discover both pull that one.
Message 21 of 33
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
If I see this correctly, I should have applied for the Amex and the Discover card at the same time, but unfortunately I didn't. Does it now make any difference if I apply for the Discover card now, a few days after I got approved for the Amex, or one or three months later? Should I wait or go ahead?

I'm aware that this would be some blind application. I have no idea what my Experian score is, and I think Amex and Discover both pull that one.

AmEx takes a while to show up on your reports, although their inquiry should be showing. If all else is healthy, I don't think that you should have to wait to app Discover.

I'm impressed at the self-control involved in app'ing these two without knowing your EX score, and a little bit dismayed as well. I would absolutely want to know the score and what's on that report first. If you Google fico discount coupon code, you should be able to save at least 15% on an EX score pull. It will also show if the inq and new account are showing up yet.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 22 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are right. I don't have enough information and expect you to give advice. I guess I have to apologize for that.

I also think that I did not articulate my real question very well. I was asking more along the lines whether it would be better to thrash my credit score now with several applications and have all cards age at once, or whether it's better to apply in certain intervals. I lost years with doing nothing in this regard. Now I see that it might take many years if I take a slow approach. I don't see needing any credit within the next 9 months at least, probably much longer. But I'd like to build up a basis that I won't have to touch anymore in some shorter period, even if this means some drop in the scores.

Anyway, enough talk. I just applied for the Discover and got approved, too. I guess that's it for better cards at the moment Smiley Very Happy.
Message 23 of 33
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

So there you go!

I did an app frenzy for some of the same reasons. I knew what I wanted, and I was willing to accept the one-year score tank. (I'm in month seven now.)

Depends so much on where you are, and where you want to be.

So, tell us, what did you get?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 24 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied online for the Discover More, with that 60 seconds approval. I have no idea about the conditions, but they don't really matter. It won't be my main card. I'll tell you more when I get the cards.

I was considering the "Open Road", but I spend maybe $50 a month on gas, if at all, and the Amex will yield 3% off that.
Message 25 of 33
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:

I did an app frenzy for some of the same reasons. I knew what I wanted, and I was willing to accept the one-year score tank. (I'm in month seven now.)

In Apr thru Jul of this year I app'ed for and was granted, in order, BofA Amex, PenFed and Discover. Since I started this process my FICO's have gone up - now over 700.
Message 26 of 33
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

You stopped at a good place. I had more accounts. Smiley Wink

My scores are back within about 20 points of where they were. It will be worth it in the long run; it's just a pain, waiting it out.
Message 27 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote: You stopped at a good place. I had more accounts. Smiley Wink
So, how many accounts did you apply for at once Smiley Happy?
Message 28 of 33
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
You stopped at a good place. I had more accounts. Smiley Wink
So, how many accounts did you apply for at once Smiley Happy?

Let's see; on one Saturday, PenFed gas card, Chase Borders VISA, BofA Plat Plus MC (for a BT), Citi Home Depot store card, PenFed gas loan.

About three weeks later, American Express Gold Rewards Plus.

A few evenings after that, in a spirit of what-the-heck, Barclays Barnes and Noble MC. (My only impulse app, and like many impulsive things that you do in the evening thinking what the heck, I regretted it the next morning. Smiley Wink )

Another 3 weeks after that, accidentally got the HSBC store card after a thread was reporting that you could do a pre-app without a hard on their site. I was deeply curious about this one, and I must have been holding my mouth wrong or something, because I wound up with an unneeded store card and my 4th inq on EQ, which EQ did not accept graciously. I classify this one to moderator research. Smiley Happy

So seven cards and a car loan in a span of not quite 2 months. I started with 5 cards, a mortgage, and a HELOC, so I more than doubled my number of active TL's. EX went from around 750 to 675 (gulp), and the others were about as bad, but they're mostly back now, and once everything is over 12 months, I'll be where I was or better, with a much better credit profile.
Message 29 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting story. Thanks for sharing!

7 cards and a car loan are quite a lot for 2 months. On the other hand, you already had 5 cards, which somehow attenuates the effect of the new accounts on the average account age. I managed to shorten my total average history to one and a half years with only two new accounts.

I'd like to get a Chase Freedom at some point, but I'll better wait some time in order not to lose the new Costco Amex card.
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.