Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many cards do I need?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How many cards do I need?

As mentioned before, 3 cards is ideal for credit reporting, and more than enough for most people's spending purposes.  There are quite a few debtor's anonymous candidates on these boards that hold upwards of 50 credit cards or more, but they're thankfully not the norm.  

For my own purposes, the Chase Freedom is my primary card.  I'll likely be dropping the CareCredit and Walmart cards when I get on board with some other CCC's like Discover or AMEX along with the CSP to go along with the Freedom (or roll Freedom into the CSP if I don't like the category choices, I won't lie the 4th QTR category choices blow chunks this year!)

Message 11 of 12
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: How many cards do I need?

@Anonymous wrote:

I received my first ever credit card today, the Capital One secured for $200. My question is, can I build good credit history by spending only $10 a month on it? I've been told that I should keep my utilization at 9% and open at least one more secured account with another bank. Should I open another secured account? I was originally hoping to get a discover or Amex card at my 6 month mark and cut up Capital One. I read too many horror stories of CO being a preditory lender and it kinda scares me to stick with them for the long haul.

Congratulations on getting started.

Use the $200 limit for regular spend, just don't go over the limit. You can pay it frequently if you like, but I would disregard the idea of trying to spend only $10 per month on it. It is simply not realistic, and you are building a credit file. The FICO scores will follow, and utilization effects on your score are only for today. You can decide to optimize your score at any point in the future, pay the card a bit faster to lower utilization, and see the few points boost in your score. Or not worry about it, because it is only a few points due to utilization.

I would not close the Capital One Secured card. Rather, when you get further along, see if you can get a regular Capital One Platinum or Quicksilver with no AF, and only after that, consider closing the Secured card, but take that decision slow. I've had a Capital One card since 2003, it was a Platinum card, always $10k limit, always 10.9% APR, and even when other lenders were running CLD on my other accounts, Capital One never blinked, never gave me any static. Capital One may not be the flashiest CCC, but they are, in my opinion, one of the most stable, and a good card to have in your wallet forever. My observations of others experience here; it is better to have a Capital One card in your wallet, then apply for a higher tier CapOne card when you want to jump up in credit line. That is the experience of many who were frustrated with the stuck limits on QS and Platinum cards, then applied for Venture and are happy with the significantly higher CL. This tends not to happen, the really big CL don't often appear, if someone had a CapOne card, then closed it and did not have a CapOne card in hand when they applied for Venture. Not to say new applicants cannot get a good Venture, they can, but to have the best chance, have a Capital One already in your wallet and not closed.

Apply for the other cards after 3 to 6 months, the Freedom card is a good choice, AMEX Every Day or Blue Cash, a basic Citi card as well. You mention not wanting holds on payments, and that implies you want to pay the card to zero quickly. That isn't really necessary, just arrange it so you don't go over the credit line, and if you want to pay in full, time that so the payment is done by the payment due date on the statement. Paying before statement cuts is overdoing it, in my opinion.

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.