cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many cards give HHonors Gold Status?

tag
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

How many cards give HHonors Gold Status?

I'm staying at a few Hiltons next year, and a Westin.  I'm thinking of adding an SPG or a HHonors card to my portfolio.  I'm interested in knowing what the best Hilton cards are across all the issuers, and which cards offer complimentary Gold status.  I know that the Platinum Amex offers it, but I'm not interested in that card.  Thanks in advance.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

Re: How many cards give HHonors Gold Status?

AmEx's Surpass and Citi's Reserve cards both come with Complimentary Gold Status.

Message 2 of 19
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@Platinum wrote:

AmEx's Surpass and Citi's Reserve cards both come with Complimentary Gold Status.

Yes and no.  Amex is only gold for the first year.  They do have different types of reward structure.  Cant remember what the two are called but certain redemptions are cheaper using AMEX while others are cheaper using Citi.  Ive been thinking about getting HH card as well. 

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 19
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

AmEx's version has $75 annual fee and Citi's version has $95 annual fee.

Message 4 of 19
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

@Platinum wrote:

Yes and no.  Amex is only gold for the first year.  They do have different types of reward structure.  Cant remember what the two are called but certain redemptions are cheaper using AMEX while others are cheaper using Citi.  Ive been thinking about getting HH card as well. 

What is the source of the above statement f you don't mind please ?

Message 5 of 19
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

@Platinum wrote:

I thought that too "Amex is only gold for the first year", BUT after reading this post went on AMEX and it says Gold status until you close the account....did this change with the AMEX Hilton card?

Message 6 of 19
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

From the T&C:

Gold Status 
For more information about Gold status, visit HHonors.com/Terms. If your Hilton HHonors Surpass Card is cancelled for any reason, your complimentary Hilton HHonors Gold status will be cancelled. American Express reserves the right to change, modify, or revoke this offer at any time.

Message 7 of 19
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@Platinum wrote:

From the T&C:

Gold Status 
For more information about Gold status, visit HHonors.com/Terms. If your Hilton HHonors Surpass Card is cancelled for any reason, your complimentary Hilton HHonors Gold status will be cancelled. American Express reserves the right to change, modify, or revoke this offer at any time.

THAT is new, I had the Surpass card a year ago and it was only gold for the first year, then changed to silver, That is why I went to Citi Reserve, that was gold as long as you have the card....Wonder what is going on with Hilton and AMEX lately....LOL  now AMEX Platinum has it so maybe I can dump the Citi card. 

Message 8 of 19
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

@odd_dog wrote:

@Platinum wrote:

From the T&C:

Gold Status 

THAT is new, I had the Surpass card a year ago and it was only gold for the first year, then changed to silver, That is why I went to Citi Reserve, that was gold as long as you have the card....Wonder what is going on with Hilton and AMEX lately....LOL  now AMEX Platinum has it so maybe I can dump the Citi card. 

LOL Dump Citi now, get new one and the bonus in aprox. 18 months. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 19
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Amex Platinum will give you gold at both Hilton and SPG.
Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.