Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many cards is too many?

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

How many cards is too many?

So i was just curious on what you all think on how many cards is too many cards? Do you count store cards as being a card or no? 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: How many cards is too many?

That is a question that will have a different answer with each person. To me, I have too many cards and will want to prune at some point. However, that is personal preference and not based on any type of credit theory.

Once I grow my limits with Chase, Amex, and Discover, I will most likely prune US Bank and Citi. That will leave me with NFCU, CSP, Amex SPG, and Discover IT. Four cards would be perfect for me. 

Message 2 of 21
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

@azguy13 wrote:

That is a question that will have a different answer with each person. To me, I have too many cards and will want to prune at some point. However, that is personal preference and not based on any type of credit theory.

Once I grow my limits with Chase, Amex, and Discover, I will most likely prune US Bank and Citi. That will leave me with NFCU, CSP, Amex SPG, and Discover IT. Four cards would be perfect for me. 

Right i know i will get different answers everytime, but i thought i really only need 2 more cards and they will be revolving ones and i think im set. bringing me a total of 7 including store so maybe like 4 revolving. I was just wondering everyones personal opinion. Im too nervous too prune because the cards i want to prune are my oldest which is obviously not the smartest idea but on the bright side my other cards are close in history to it, so maybe down the road i will prune the oldest.

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 21
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Too many is if you cannot handle on-time payments anymore Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 21
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

@azguy13 wrote:

Right i know i will get different answers everytime, but i thought i really only need 2 more cards and they will be revolving ones and i think im set. bringing me a total of 7 including store so maybe like 4 revolving. I was just wondering everyones personal opinion. Im too nervous too prune because the cards i want to prune are my oldest which is obviously not the smartest idea but on the bright side my other cards are close in history to it, so maybe down the road i will prune the oldest.

Well, if you close them they will still be calculated in your AAoA for 10 years. By the time 10 years from now hits, it shouldnt be a problem if you have handles your profile responsibly (i.e. not doing a 15 credit card app spree once a year or osmehting else ridiculous) 

Message 5 of 21
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Well im not too worried about my AAOA in the future mainly because since my cards are all close and depending if one of the limits rises or not it will get closed, but if i have a few cards with similar age it shouldnt affect my AAOA too much correct? Also as for On-time payments - never missed a payment nor do i plan on it, i might have to use auto pay then XD

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 6 of 21
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

Well im not too worried about my AAOA in the future mainly because since my cards are all close and depending if one of the limits rises or not it will get closed, but if i have a few cards with similar age it shouldnt affect my AAOA too much correct? Also as for On-time payments - never missed a payment nor do i plan on it, i might have to use auto pay then XD

Honestly, as long as you are not adding a crazy amount of new TLs each year, you will be ok and will not have to worry about AAoA. I guess it all really depends on your credit profile. 

I use autopay for EVERYTHING. I just have it set at paying the minimum payment, but it will prevent those accidental late payments. It has yet to happen, but I will do everything I can to make sure it doesnt. 

Message 7 of 21
RushXTC
Established Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

Too many is if you cannot handle on-time payments anymore Smiley Sad

^ This.

I found it was easy keeping up with 6-8 cards, But for some reason I went up to 14 ACTIVE cards and the payments are sort of killing me... lol.

Anyways, I think in the future, I will be keeping only 3-4 of my best cards and trying to raise the CL as high as possible so I don't have to keep the rest.

Message 8 of 21
zeedakay

i think you have too many when you can't remember the credit line and rates for each one

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Current Scores: EQ FICO 685 (03/25/2014), EX N/A, TU FICO 697 (04/14/2014)
Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 12/2013 - No apps until 2015
Starting Score: 535
Current Score: 697
Goal Score: 750

Message 9 of 21
PowerMan572
Contributor

If you're actually using the cards, I think anything more than 4 is too much. I'm all about earning miles and points. A person can only have so many purchases in a month. If you're spreading them across this many cards, it's going to take a while to earn the rewards. 

I have 3 cards. 1 card I put all legitimate purchases on with very minimal manufactured spending (you can guess who issued the card.) Then my other 2 cards I put just a couple purchases on each month, but then manufacure spend quite heavily on them. 

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.