Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many cards to let report a balance?

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

How many cards to let report a balance?

As it stands, I have 17 open cards. I currently have balances on four of them. I can pif two of those four and I try to have Amex report zero balance.

I've literally noticed no difference in my FICOs between  having three or seven cards reporting a balance.

I know that the ideal util for FICO scoring is about 9%. I'm around 12% atm.

So how many cards should I let report a balance? Please refer me to a post if this has been posted somewhere. But I think each situation with regard to number of cards is unique LOL...

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
RnJ
Contributor

Re: How many cards to let report a balance?

How many months have you played out different scenarios with util?

My scores are in their best shape with only 1-2% total util (total, usually only letting 1-2 cards out of 9 report).  The last 5 months, all reported 0 balances and I still saw 1-3 point increases.  So, when I let one or two report a balance again, I can almost depend that they aren't going to be affected by more than a few points (from looking at a full 6-12 month past history).  I also have an average set spend on them (i.e., category spend, etc), so that helps keep me on track.

Try a lower util on just a couple cards for one month to see what happens.  If you're spending on all 17 cards each month, I can see how that might be difficult to manage, but if you can do it as an experiment, might be worth it?

Message 2 of 10
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

As it stands, I have 17 open cards. I currently have balances on four of them. I can pif two of those four and I try to have Amex report zero balance.

I've literally noticed no difference in my FICOs between  having three or seven cards reporting a balance.

So how many cards should I let report a balance? Please refer me to a post if this has been posted somewhere. But I think each situation with regard to number of cards is unique LOL...

I get the best score with only 1 card reporting with 1% uti

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 3 of 10
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

It's okay to let one or two report as long as the range is between. 1-9%. Seeing you reporting at 12%, you need to lower that Utility a Lil bit for best results.

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 4 of 10
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

I have roughly the same number of credit cards, and from my own experience, the "under 10% total," along with just one card, and upwards of four showing a balance really didn't change the score dramatically (point or two).

Message 5 of 10
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

21 accounts here, with 2 reporting a $300 combined bal.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 6 of 10
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

21 accounts here, with 2 reporting a $300 combined bal.

Since the algorythms are a forbidden mystery, I'm guessing that the increased "payment OK's" listed each month/per card, offset the ding of a multiple card balance posting, up to a certain point, that goes beyond the typical 3 to 5 card holder.

Message 7 of 10
shakalaka
Established Contributor

I have two reporting (around 3%). Only one reporting gave me a 5 point jump ... so I really don't mind. And for my CSP approval I had 3 reporting (one is a charge card).

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 8 of 10
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I played around SW and tested the impact with number of accounts reporting a balance with 1% total util. My heavy ding on Fico score is when over 50% report a balance. Tested with 1$ balance reporting on 8 of 8 accounts last year and lost 45+ points. That was a shocking result for me but glad that Fico has no memory..LOL

Message 9 of 10
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the info yall!!

I could get it down to just two balances. I do still have a BOA card with an $8000/10000 balance. I'm going to get this under 80% util soon and maybe ask for a cli in two or so months. 

I would test the waters and see what happens when I have more than that reporting a balance, but I feeel like that would be risking AA. All it takes is one creditor using an outdated report as they often do to make a real time AA decision!! lol Amex seems to love using a two month old report on me. heh

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.