cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many citi cards can you use for balance transfers ?

tag
ShiningDown
Frequent Contributor

How many citi cards can you use for balance transfers ?

If my limit was low on my new citi card will I be able to apply for a second card to use for another balance transfer ? Is there a certain time period to wait to apply again for a second card ?   Does a credit limit increase inquiry count as a inquiry on your credit report when they do a hard pull to check your credit history ? Is it the same weather you are approved or denied for a limit increase

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How many citi cards can you use for balance transfers ?

If your limit was low on your first Citi card, why would you apply for a second thinking they are going to give you a higher CL? Hard inquiries are hard inquiries. Doesn't matter if it's an approval or not. You can use as many cards as you want to do balance transfers.
Message 2 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would not apply for a 2nd for at least 6 months especially if the first was really low... and what is low to you?

Also in my experience usually just a soft when applying for CLI but I have seen a lot of talk were some people did get hards so it's a risk I guess.

Message 3 of 5
KLGFCG
New Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

I would not apply for a 2nd for at least 6 months especially if the first was really low... and what is low to you?

You'd think it'd work this way, but it didn't for me. I received a Citi Dividend MC in August with a CL of $1700... my lowest limit. This month, I decided to app for a Plat Select specifically for BT purposes and they gave me a CL of $5900, my highest limit ever granted on approval and my second highest overall. I don't have scores from August (they're around 730 now), but there were no significantly different factors (in fact, util was probably a little higher when I app'ed for the second card) and definitely no change in income. All I can think of is that I'd maxed and PIF'ed the Dividend card a couple times, so they could see a good payment history, but there shouldn't have been anything else that caused them to give me the higher CL. YMMV, obviously.

Message 4 of 5
ShiningDown
Frequent Contributor

You asked how low is low, it was 1500. It  is low compared to how much I really need to transfer, I can use my us bank card 0 apr for balance transfers for 12 months. Credit limit is 1,000. Im still waiting for both cards to get here.  Does everyone usually get a limit increase around 6 months ? Is there an average increase for the people starting  at 1,500 limit .    What is easier to get a cit diamond preferred card or citi platinum select master card. I told someone to apply for the platinum select rather than the diamond preferred because I thought it was easier to qualify for but I may be totally wrong, which I told them before they applied.  

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.