Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many credit card is too many?

tag
brother7
Established Contributor

Re: How many credit card is too many?

I have 10 and I wish I had less, maybe 7.

I created a vertical calendar in Excel with rows 1-31. Next to each row, I write "Citi Forward due", "AMEX due", etc...

Of the 10 cards, 2 are sockdrawered. But I always get a nagging feeling that I left an automatic annual renewal on them, so I always check online to make sure the balance is zero.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 21 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: How many credit card is too many?

Once you are out of the madly apping phase, that usually means you don't need to micromanaging your FICO score with utilization concerns.  

So then what you do is set all of your cards (whether 2, 10 or 200) to autopay in full on due date.   (This of course assumes your spending is under control, if not, the number of ccs isn't the problem you should be focusing on!)  Then with no effort, everything is taken care of, no late fees, no interest charges. 

I think everyone should do this for safety as default anyway, and then, if you are apping/applying for loan or mortgage/just want to present best score,  you can make early payments to make the balance 0.  But unless you are apping, no need to do this much!

Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.