cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many credit cards did you have in college?

tag
kogama
Valued Member

Re: How many credit cards did you have in college?

@DigitalArk wrote:

@kogama wrote:

@DigitalArk wrote:

@kogama wrote:

@DigitalArk wrote:
None! I tried very hard to apply everywhere, but no one wanted to open an account for me who had no credit history back then.
Now my credit scores are always staying above 800 with no baddies. So I am receiving invitation letters for credit cards from a lot of banks all the time.
It's kind of annoying to deal with those junk mail often. Smiley Sad

....How did you start hitting the 800s and how old were you then? I know it all depends on how you manage credit but approximately how long. Also what was your average age of accounts at that time if your remember?

3 years after I graduated from collage. I have have only two credit cards for a long time until last two months. I have added 3 more.

I have been using my credit cards as debit cards. I never have a late payment for anything, it does not matter big or small like a dollar 50 cents.

I don't remember my AAoA then. Smiley Frustrated Now it's 5~6 years, since I just added 3 more.

You are basically what I am aiming for. I want one of those 800+ scores : ) 

Did you take any student loans out? One of the things I saw one a denial letter a long time ago was that my student loans had a high balance 

No student loans at all.

....How lucky...But for me that is where my credit score began,

Message 31 of 101
missjae
Established Contributor

@kogama wrote:

Hey I wanted an updated version of this topic. 

When you guys were in college or if you are in college now how many credit cards did/do you have. Wish I could post a poll : (

I have 4 cards and an amazon store card.

I was in college back when reps sat on campus with paper applications and credit cards were given out like candy.

Can't remember the exact number, but I believe I had over 10 and plenty enough to ruin my credit.  There was Ikea, Express, plus bank cards and more.  Guess I loved the free t-shirts and water bottles lol.  A lot of those banks don't exist anymore.

If I knew then what I knew now....glad that is way in my past and I recovered from all the negative TL's.

Message 32 of 101
kogama
Valued Member

@missjae wrote:

@kogama wrote:

Hey I wanted an updated version of this topic. 

When you guys were in college or if you are in college now how many credit cards did/do you have. Wish I could post a poll : (

I have 4 cards and an amazon store card.

I was in college back when reps sat on campus with paper applications and credit cards were given out like candy.

Can't remember the exact number, but I believe I had over 10 and plenty enough to ruin my credit.  There was Ikea, Express, plus bank cards and more.  Guess I loved the free t-shirts and water bottles lol.  A lot of those banks don't exist anymore.

If I knew then what I knew now....glad that is way in my past and I recovered from all the negative TL's.

eeeek glad they are not allowed around here anymore!

Message 33 of 101
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

I have read some article online that said mortgage/loan officers would frown on borrowers carrying more than 5 credit cards. So I am trying to just keep the 5 I have and no more.

The article is: How many credit cards is too many? by Marilen Cawad (Since I am not allowed to link it, you can google it. It's under point  4. You are having a difficult time getting a loan)

Message 34 of 101
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Believe I had 8 before I graduated High School Smiley Happy I turned 18 Novemeber 25th and I wasted NO TIME! I probably had 5 of those before December 1st Smiley Tongue

Message 35 of 101
kogama
Valued Member

@Creditaddict wrote:

Believe I had 8 before I graduated High School Smiley Happy I turned 18 Novemeber 25th and I wasted NO TIME! I probably had 5 of those before December 1st Smiley Tongue

....I have never even heard of that

Message 36 of 101
CollegeStudent530
Regular Contributor

Credit cards are in my signature. I will be entering my 3rd year.

Freshman year: Golden 1 Secured Visa Card (closed after 3 months), Golden 1 Student Visa Card, Discover It

Second year: Chase Freedom, American Express Blue Cash Everyday, and Bank of America Better Balance Rewards

Third year and fourth year: Garden, garden, and garden! I will do my best to resist though sign-up bonuses! Even though I always pay in full each month, I'm super content with my wallet at the moment. No need to get another card. I will be focused primarily on credit limit increases only.

Congrats on all your cards... and to all the other college students with cards too. It was a hassle getting them without AU/Cosigners, but it feels good accomplishing it by myself and the resources available online.

Message 37 of 101
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:

I have read some article online that said mortgage/loan officers would frown on borrowers carrying more than 5 credit cards. So I am trying to just keep the 5 I have and no more.

The article is: How many credit cards is too many? by Marilen Cawad (Since I am not allowed to link it, you can google it. It's under point  4. You are having a difficult time getting a loan)

You know what, let me start a new post to ask what myFICO community think.

Message 38 of 101
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

I was in college 79-83 in Illinois - that was a very different time.  We didn't have folks set up on campus and the only folks I knew with bank cards were AU's on their parents cards.  I worked from the time I was 14 years old and I think during college I had a Sears card and a Carson, Pirie, Scott & Co.  Don't remember having any other cards.  In grad school I got a Macy's card and around that time I probably got my first prime cc.

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 39 of 101
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Posted by mistake. Deleted.

Message 40 of 101
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.