cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many credit cards should I have?

tag
RushXTC
Established Contributor

Re: How many credit cards should I have?

@score_raiser wrote:
I was wondering how many credit cards should one have? I have only department store cards and planning for next step in six months or so.. How many department cards should I have? Please tell me how to garden them so limits will be increased? I always pay then by due date. Is there a better way? Thanks.

Whatever you do, Don't ask Ron!

Message 11 of 13
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

I always have this question too.  I think outside of fico members, an average person should have a max of three MAYBE four cards.

I never know if I should count my Dillards Amex as a store card, or a regular cc.  If I count it, it makes me have four (if you ignore that I do technically have 5 at the moment, but will be closing one as soon as I get Amex to call me back). 

This is one of a few reasons it is stopping me to get the Sallie Mae Card. And I really want the Sallie Mae Card. But I don't see a reason to have five cards.

Message 12 of 13
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@hizzaah wrote:

On that note, do you have any store card recommendations? I know it depends one which one you'll use, but does anyone here have any favorites?

only store card i have is walmart, because at the time they were only ones offering free fico scores. Since you already have Discover you are getting free fico , so probably not worth the HP

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.