Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many credit cards should I own?

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: How many credit cards should I own?

@Anonymous wrote:

My oldest account age is 8.2; average age of accounts is 5.0 (EX), 4.4 (EQ),  5.0 (TU). Not sure if that is good or bad? I guess you should take into consideration my age: 26.

That might be a bit different.

In that case, your problem is not so much short history as having kinda sad CL's. I agree with the suggestion above to add to the secured BofA card. See if you can get it up to $1K. You need to have a card break through that 4-digit barrier.

Also, have you started investigating your financing sources for a car loan? (Don't give anyone your social or any excuse to pull your credit at this point!) Most people find that the best auto loan rates come from credit unions. If there's a CU in your area that you're eligible to join, see if they offer CC's. CU's are generally better to work with and give higher CL's (not all, but this is typical), and you could do worse than to establish a relationship with one for savings, CC and auto loan. Just a thought.

Whatever you do, stay away from dealer financing, at least until you've checked out CU's.

Did someone actually tell you that you would have trouble getting an auto loan? If so, who were they? Because unless there are a bunch of negatives in there somewhere, 8y/ 4-5y age is pretty respectable.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.