Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many credit cards should I own?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many credit cards should I own?

Hey guys, I'm currently rebuilding my credit after 2 debts which have been paid off (1 settled and 1 paid in full).  I recently got a Chase Freedom with a CL of $1,200 and a amazon store card with a limit of $600.  Based on MyFico score simulator if I were to open another credit line my scores would jump up a very good amount (around 40 across the board).  My question is how many credit cards would be a good number to own.  I currently only charge MyFico on my Freedom which I pay in full before the statement ends, other than that I usually charge to my debit.  With my current scores, which card or cards would be ideal for me in the long run?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: How many credit cards should I own?

What are you looking for in a card is  the first question -- low APR? Certain categories of rewards? General spend? This will guide the responses. There is no "one size fits all" card that will work well for every person.

For FICO purposes, it seems having 3 or 4 cards is what you really "need" for the ideal score. Having more beyond that is largely preference/utilization buffer/different rewards/etc.

Message 2 of 19
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

I would say to the OP that the # of cards needed is at least 3 and enough to keep UTIL under 20%.  Below 10% best.  

Anything over this is probably costly in terms of time to manage which to use for what and when.  

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys, I'm currently rebuilding my credit after 2 debts which have been paid off (1 settled and 1 paid in full).  I recently got a Chase Freedom with a CL of $1,200 and a amazon store card with a limit of $600.  Based on MyFico score simulator if I were to open another credit line my scores would jump up a very good amount (around 40 across the board).  My question is how many credit cards would be a good number to own.  I currently only charge MyFico on my Freedom which I pay in full before the statement ends, other than that I usually charge to my debit.  With my current scores, which card or cards would be ideal for me in the long run?

The sky is the limit.

Message 4 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I would advise that you take it slow. You are just starting to rebuild.

You can add one or two more cards (depending on what benefits you want -- waiting for your reponse) to help utilization and give you some more rewards but IMO I wouldn't go crazy yet.

Message 5 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Fico2Go wrote:

I would say to the OP that the # of cards needed is at least 3 and enough to keep UTIL under 20%.  Below 10% best.  

Anything over this is probably costly in terms of time to manage which to use for what and when.  

For OP purposes, given the scores still in the 500's I'd say there is no rush to get that third card. Just using the existing two cards will see a gradual increase in scores with payment on time.

After the scores rise to over 600, then look at a third card, and the CL that is given will likely be larger than it would be today. Adding a third card in the mid-500s probably gets another minimal limit (less than the two on hand) that isn't particularly useful.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

For OP purposes, given the scores still in the 500's I'd say there is no rush to get that third card. Just using the existing two cards will see a gradual increase in scores with payment on time.

After the scores rise to over 600, then look at a third card, and the CL that is given will likely be larger than it would be today. Adding a third card in the mid-500s probably gets another minimal limit (less than the two on hand) that isn't particularly useful.

+1, Credit is not a race.

I'd even advise waiting until scores crest ~660 to have a shot at anything truly prime.

Message 7 of 19
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

I would disagree on waiting to get the 3rd card.  Getting it asap will help with AAOA in the long run which will help in establish other credit.   I honestly don't think scores in 500-600 range will impact much in terms of the limits given on  the 3rd card.  So why not just work on the aaoa now?

In two years time the CL on the three accounts could be the same but the prospect for a higher limit product will be higher. 

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I generally have no preferences on APR as I pay in full or close to full before the statement closes.  I know that I shouldn't rush but I get impatient.  I think its been 3 months going on 4 that I have had the Chase Freedom card with no change to credit score so I can't tell if I'm using it correctly (due date = 15th of month, statement date = 21st of month)  I always pay off any balance I carry by the 14th.  Anyway thanks for all the input guys.

Message 9 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

3 or 4 months feels like forever sometimes but it's not long with regards to establishing a history. Take your time and go slow. I would echo you could add another card for utilization and to show a mix but I wouldn't go further than adding one more at this time.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.