cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many credit cards should I start with?

tag
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

Re: How many credit cards should I start with?

One of the reasons that 3 cards is considered the sweet spot for scoring is because

of how it seems FICO8 plays with card utilization. It is suggested that there is a utilization

tier at < 50% of cards held reporting a balance for the month. If true, then with two cards it

is impossible to get the points bump for meeting this tier. One card reporting a balance is

50% (not less than 50%) and no cards reporting a balance for the month is a well known

ding for no recent credit usage. Likewise, for the purposes of getting the benefit of this there

is no advantage in going from 3 cards to 4, but there is for going from 4 cards to 5. The

exact formula for FICO8 is of course proprietary and secret, but there seems to be good

evidence for the monthly utilization calculations working something like this.

To me, there is nothing as nonsensical in credit scoring as how FICO8 deals with monthly

credit card utilization. The little tricks you can find on line definitely will work for month to

month scoring tweaks. Why/How that has anything to do with quantifying creditor risk is pretty

hard to see. 

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 11 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks everyone. Given what has been said, I think I will sit on these cards for at least a few months and see if something else comes up.

The combination of the two cards have rewards that cover the bulk of my expenses. I can use both without any real disruption to my daily routine,or incurring any new expenses. I'm just shifting money I would normally spend anyway to run through the card before being paid by me.

@Gmood1 wrote:
It also won't hurt to allow some usage to report IMO. Optimizing scores is one thing, though scores are just one facet of future approvals. True history of showing what you payed is big IME so far. You can't do that in most cases if you pay the bill before the statement even cuts.

That makes sense.

@Anonymous wrote:

Reading your initial post only gives me a very small snapshot of your needs and position...[snip].... be a sponge.. read this site and many others.  Be calculating and have short and long term plans.

I guess for now my short term goals wouldbe to get my fico scores up, and start showing a current history of responsible payments. I do have two other accounts on my report that were in good standing with no marks, but both were closed around six years ago....one by me, and one just because I forgot about it.

I should probably think more about what the long term goals are with this.

Getting short term FICO points: a 3rd card is helpful in that, because you get a little bit more with 2 out of 3 cards reporting at zero, than with 1 out of 2 reporting at zero.

Showing history of responsible payments: 2 cards are as good as 3 for that purpose.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great Thread, conversation from great thinking heads.  Love it! 

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks everyone. Given what has been said, I think I will sit on these cards for at least a few months and see if something else comes up.

The combination of the two cards have rewards that cover the bulk of my expenses. I can use both without any real disruption to my daily routine,or incurring any new expenses. I'm just shifting money I would normally spend anyway to run through the card before being paid by me.

@Gmood1 wrote:
It also won't hurt to allow some usage to report IMO. Optimizing scores is one thing, though scores are just one facet of future approvals. True history of showing what you payed is big IME so far. You can't do that in most cases if you pay the bill before the statement even cuts.

That makes sense.

@Anonymous wrote:

Reading your initial post only gives me a very small snapshot of your needs and position...[snip].... be a sponge.. read this site and many others.  Be calculating and have short and long term plans.

I guess for now my short term goals wouldbe to get my fico scores up, and start showing a current history of responsible payments. I do have two other accounts on my report that were in good standing with no marks, but both were closed around six years ago....one by me, and one just because I forgot about it.

I should probably think more about what the long term goals are with this.

Those old closed cards with good hx are still helping you for another 4 years. Most importantly with your AAoA (average age of accounts). Like bada_bing very well explained, the third card will help maximize your score impact, but there is no rush since you have no immediate plans to app for something big. Give it a few months while you research which card would be best for you. You said you have cards that maximize bonus for your biggest expenses, so you may consider one that maximizes bonus for everything else. Citi DC is a 2% bonus on all (one as you buy, one as you pay), or Chase and Cap1 both offer a 1.5% on all purchases. If you dine out a lot maybe a marvel card for the 3%. (plus they just look awesome. And I'm not even a big comic fan.) Take your time and look around. You will find the right 3rd card for you.

Oh, and +1 on some kind of installment loan for the multiple types of credit. You could ask your bank for a personal loan.

Message 14 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I think it's completely unnecessary to take out an installment loan that you don't need just to maybe improve your score a bit. No point in getting into debt just to please a scoring model. If you have a need for a loan, get one. If not, i wouldn't do it just to do it. Types and mix of credit are only a minor component of your score.
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I suggest that consumers only apply for credit when needed. There may come a time when a person needs to open a new line of credit in an emergency situation but are refused because their credit report is full of credit inquiries. If the consumer wish to open several accounts, make sure that they aren't redundant.

Message 16 of 19
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@ KDM She's probably talking about a share secured loan. Which cost next to nothing to do. It can bump your score 30/40 points if you don't have any installment loans. I did this a month ago. Even with other installments reporting it still seems to be keeping my scores stable buying two cars and trading in another.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Great Thread, conversation from great thinking heads.  Love it! 

Agreed! I am really enjoying the responses, and learning a lot. Thank you all.

Message 18 of 19
RonM21
Valued Contributor

The shared loan is an option many can take. I think the thing is you want to make sure you know what you are doing, and that it is definitely something you can handle.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.