cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many credit cards should you have?

tag
singleindependentmom
New Contributor

Re: How many credit cards should you have?

What would be a good rate of building up number of credit cards?  Is it 2 cards a year?  If you get too many new items too fast, doesn't that bring your score down?

Starting Score: Experian 514 Equifax 510 TransUnion 510
Current Score: Experian 630 and everything still In Progress
Goal Score: First Goal 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 41 of 50
iwazl71
Frequent Contributor

22 cards ( 2 charge, 3 store, 17 major) is a good number for me.  4 Amex, 2 Discover, 10 Visas, and 3 MCs to have different payment processors.  Sometimes it can be a hassle but I have auto pay on most and the ones I don't use a lot, I have some small repeating charges so I don't have to take it out of the sock drawer.

Scores: EQ 796, EX 790, TU 807
Personal and Business Cards: 31 with 763k
High Limit Cards: CSP 50k | BoA Cash 81k | NFCU flagship 60k | Penfed Rewards 50k | Aviator Silver 52k
Message 42 of 50
budugu
Regular Contributor

I would echo the same. I came down from having 10+ or so just 3  ... Makes your life so simple! Most of the spend is on the Ink bold or fid amex. 

Ink Bold

Zync (just to get the back dating 2003)

fidelity Amex 

amex - plat + bcp, Apple Card, Citi Prestige (AU)
Message 43 of 50
bndresa1321
Valued Member

I have five right now and I am not complaining about being able to handle them, if only a few have balances that is.  Last year while I was still in school I didn't have any income, plus I had balances on all my cards and I struggled to pay the right amounts on each card.  Due dates were all over the place for me and it became very stressful.  Today I only carry a balance on one or two cards and I have no problem managing the cards and maximizing my rewards, I love being able to leave the other three in a drawer and not having to worry about the balances (not to mention do mental math when pulling out my wallet) but again if there are no balances on the cards I can feel confident in my ability to manage more in the future.    

Credit Cards:
Capital One Platinum MC (11/2009) - $2K | Discover IT(07/2011) - $1.25K | GECRB Visa (07/2012) - $2.17K | Citi Dividend Visa (12/2012) - $4K | Chase Freedom Visa (12/2012) - $5K | AMEX BCP (11/2014) - $5K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa (12/2014) - $9K

Message 44 of 50
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

If the goal is to have credit available to you when you need it without being denied when you apply, then it's working for me to have many credit lines open because it doesn't hurt my ability to get more credit. (I do have a very low debt to credit ratio though, meaning, I use a very small percent of my available credit as I usually pay in full every month. Every 6 months I'll use each line, a few dollars, to maintain activity on them so the banks do not close them on me for non-use).

I applied for two lines of credit and one credit card within the past week (specifically a line of credit a week ago, a Chase Freedom card two days ago and another line of credit yesterday) and all were approved as recently as today, but before getting to that, these were the accounts I had opened and the creditors saw before approving my three new recent accounts:

16 credit cards opened before applying for Chase Freedom:

AMEX Platinum ($85,000); AMEX Business Platinum ($3,000); Bank of America Visa Signature ($5,000); Barclay's Black Card Stainless Steel Visa card ($10,000); Capital One ($2,000); Citibank MasterCard ($13,000); Diners Club Carte Blanche ($15,000); Discover ($3,000); Capital One Quicksilver (formerly HSBC) $20,000; JCB Card ($3,000); Juniper MasterCard ($5,000); Merrill Lynch Visa Signature ($5,000); US Bank Visa ($3,500); Wells Fargo Visa ($9,000); Credit Union Visa ($7,500); Citi Diamond Preferred ($13,200) 

3 lines of credit before applying for Citibank Line of Credit

Wells Fargo Line of Credit: $11,200 (13.75% APR)

Credit Union: $20,000 (15% APR)

US Bank Premier Plus Line of Credit: $5,000 (13% APR)

A week ago, I applied for a US Bank Premier Plus Line of Credit, I was approved (but the first time I applied a month ago I was denied since I needed to have a US Bank Checking Account, but to waive the minimum fee you just need a US Bank Credit card which I have, so I opened the checking account with $25 minimum opening deposit and re-applied and was approved for the US Bank credit line)

A couple of days ago I applied for a Chase Freedom - I was approved

Yesterday I applied for the Citibank Custom Line of Credit over the phone, and today I was approved via telephone; they said they will mail me the signature card I need to sign.

For all of the above three new accounts, I have checking and savings accounts with them to build the relationship, for at least 6 months, though I keep zero or just the minimum since I mainly bank with other banks)

Again, I have close to $250,000 in credit in the form of credit cards and lines of credit. My debt in credit cards is no more than $2,000 but I pay it off every month in full, sometimes I even have a credit on my accounts because I overpay. Since I was 18 years old (that is 22 years ago) when I got my first credit card, I have NEVER BEEN LATE, NEVER MISSED A PAYMENT on any bill for the past 22 years.

So despite all my open credit lines, it doesn't seem to hurt me in getting more credit. But I got all the credit cards and lines of credit I need right now. I am still trying to figure out how to upgrade my AMEX platinum to an AMEX Centurion (Black) Card. I don't spend $250K a year so therein is the problem, unless I start my own business and charge everything to the AMEX. But starting a business is a different issue.

-----

youdontkillmoney financial stats:

22 years of credit experience without EVER being late or missing a payment.

Experian FICO score: 798

Total 17 credit cards: $210,110:

AMEX Platinum ($85,000 with $450 annual fee plus an extra $175 for up to three additional member cards for $625 total each year);  Barclay's Black Card Stainless Steel Visa card ($10,000 with $495 annual fee and the last time I use this card the reaction is "wow, your card is heavy" and I just smile); Diners Club Carte Blanche ($15,000 with $300 annual fee); AMEX Business Platinum ($3,000); Bank of America Visa Signature ($5,000); Capital One ($2,000); Citibank MasterCard ($13,000); Discover ($3,000); Capital One Quicksilver (formerly HSBC) $20,000; JCB Card ($3,000); Juniper MasterCard ($5,000); Merrill Lynch Visa Signature ($5,000); US Bank Visa ($3,500); Wells Fargo Visa ($9,000); Credit Union Visa ($7,500); Chase Freedom Visa ($8,000); Citi Diamond Preferred ($13,200) 

Total 4 Lines of Credit: $45,200

Wells Fargo Line of Credit: $11,200 ($25 annual fee with 13.75% APR)

Credit Union: $20,000 ($0 annual fee with 15% APR)

US Bank Premier Plus Line of Credit: $5,000 ($0 annual fee with 13% APR)

Citibank Custom Line of Credit: $9,000 ($50 annual fee waived first year, and if used once a year, annual fee waived with 12.99% APR)

Message 45 of 50
ljohn27
Contributor

I only have 2 revolving accounts and 2 NPSL: total $4500 CL. I do want 2 more revolvers with higher CL's. I keep my balances below 4% and only use them to keep them active, gain rewards and convenience. I learned my lesson about using credit cards unwisely....not worth it. Love having the Amex NPSL because if I don't have the money to pay the bill BEFORE the statement is released then I CAN'TAFFORD IT! That's my motto. My credit score is in the high 690's range across all CRA's - Goal is to get above the 760 thresold. If it takes having double digit credit card volumes to hit 800 then I'll never get there because I'm more concerned about staying within my affordability limits than reaching an 800 credit score. I'd rather NOT be in debt. Helps me sleep better at night.

EX 678 | TU 689 | EQ 698 LENDER PULL 07/22/2014
EX 655 | TU 690 | EQ 678 MyFICO SCORES 07/09/2014
Message 46 of 50
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@ljohn27 wrote:

I only have 2 revolving accounts and 2 NPSL: total $4500 CL. I do want 2 more revolvers with higher CL's. I keep my balances below 4% and only use them to keep them active, gain rewards and convenience. I learned my lesson about using credit cards unwisely....not worth it. Love having the Amex NPSL because if I don't have the money to pay the bill BEFORE the statement is released then I CAN'TAFFORD IT! That's my motto. My credit score is in the high 690's range across all CRA's - Goal is to get above the 760 thresold. If it takes having double digit credit card volumes to hit 800 then I'll never get there because I'm more concerned about staying within my affordability limits than reaching an 800 credit score. I'd rather NOT be in debt. Helps me sleep better at night.

I got to 800+ with 5 credit cards, 1 Mortgage and 2 paid installment loans. I would say 5-7 cards is a good # of cards

PS: i have no store Cards

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 47 of 50
mattmix36
Contributor

Ha yeah thats the main reason I have my AMEX platinum...hopefully someday, somehow, Centurion applications will open up Smiley Wink But I'd only do that if they waive the annual fee for military like they did for my platinum #longshot

My Wallet: AMEX Platinum | Citi AAdvantage Exec $20k | Chase Marriott Rewards Premier $12k | United MileagePlus Club 8k | FNBO $25k | Chase Military Officers Club $9k | Discover IT $5.5k | BankAmericard $30k | PENFED Platinum Cash Rewards $10.5k | Barclay Rewards $6.15k | USAA AMEX $15k | USAA MC $16k | NFCU Flagship Rewards $25k | Logix $15k | Chase Ink Cash $12k | Paypal MC $5k | Walmart Discover $5.4k | Chase Freedom $2k | Sallie Mae $2k | Target RedCard $300 | JP Morgan Ritz-Carlton Rewards $5k | BoA Alaska $1k

Message 48 of 50
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

I have two. Will be three by the end of this year. Can't really imagine more than that.

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 49 of 50
wmweeza
Established Contributor

@ljohn27 wrote:

My score is 804, I have 2...yes 2 credit cards. I think technically I may be on our mortgage (I'd have to check, hubby had the house when I met him though I did sign refinance papers). With just those 2 cards I am at 804. It's not just number of cards, clearly

Last App 10/14. FICO's: AMEX Ex 846, BarclayTU08 815.FAKOs:CreditKarma 775,CS score 771.BofA 5400,Target $5000,Barnes $8500,Amex $22k
Message 50 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.