Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many 'inquires' is excessive?

tag
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

How many 'inquires' is excessive?

Like the title says ... how many inquiries is considered excessive? And does it matter if all the inquires are recent?

I believe that old inquiries ( a year old or so ) don't raise red flags for creditors.. is that correct? 

Current Cards:
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: How many 'inquires' is excessive?

IMO 4+ in a 6 month span is excessive.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 25
flowfaster
Established Contributor

It really depends on the lender. GECRB not so much but Citi thinks 2-3 is too much.
Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 3 of 25
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@flowfaster wrote:
It really depends on the lender. GECRB not so much but Citi thinks 2-3 is too much.

This is true as well, especially with Citi.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 25
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Sometimes it's really hard to understand. Last week I was approved for the Chase Amazon Visa card with 11 inquires on my CR (recon).

Today I applied for a limit increase on my freedom and initially I was denied for the same reason. But later I was approved for half what I asked for ( a $500 increase). 

It's worth mentioning that all the inquires are within the last 4 months!

Current Cards:
Message 5 of 25
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@altayar wrote:

Sometimes it's really hard to understand. Last week I was approved for the Chase Amazon Visa card with 11 inquires on my CR (recon).

Today I applied for a limit increase on my freedom and initially I was denied for the same reason. But later I was approved for half what I asked for ( a $500 increase). 

I would recommend gardening for 6 months to a year to get the best results apping and going for CLI's. The older the INQ's are the better.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 25
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

5-7  range is where i hit a wall

Message 7 of 25
LilNYC
New Contributor

@altayar wrote:

Wait, 11 diff. cards pulled the same report? Maybe you should've out a security freeze on that one so that they would've been forced to pull a diff report?

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 8 of 25
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Well some creditors pull only one and some pull two. It's never happened to me before that a creditor pulled all three reports (except for Cap 1). But yeah 11 inquires on my EQ and EX reports. 

@LilNYC wrote:

@altayar wrote:

Wait, 11 diff. cards pulled the same report? Maybe you should've out a security freeze on that one so that they would've been forced to pull a diff report?

Current Cards:
Message 9 of 25
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@LilNYC wrote:

That's not what security freezes are for.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.