Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many inquiries are too many?

tag
OroroMunroe
Contributor

How many inquiries are too many?

After reading a few threads about cards that are inquiry sensitive, I'm left wondering how credit grantors decide how many inquiries are considered too many. For example, do they have a certain number that they are guided by? I recently applied for and was approved for a card that most folks on the forum have labeled "inquiry sensitive" (Nordstrom). I have an obscene number of inquiries because I can't seem to stay in the garden (maybe because it's too cold outside- haha), and my scores are not great (I haven't broken into the 750 club). What are your experiences? How many are too many? 5? 10? 30? I look forward to your responses! 

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Re: How many inquiries are too many?

Inquiries are just one part of your profile; obviously some lenders may be more sensitive to them (especially recent inquiries) but your whole credit profile matters. Those with older/thicker files don't feel the sting as much with inquiries. Keep in mind here that most people are (re) builders and often apply for a lot of credit quickly than the general population. I only have a handful of inquiries between all three bureaus since I relatively haven't applied for much credit. I personally think more than 5-7 is a lot but I know there are people who have like 30+. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Impossible to answer with any degree of certainty since "too many" varies by credit profile. For somebody with a thin file, high utilization, and an AAoA of 12 months, 3 or 4 might be too many. For somebody with a thick file, very long history and low utilization, 20 might not be too many.

Message 3 of 28
My_Fako
Established Contributor

Is 6 total and 3inq  6 months old bad?

Amex PRG NPSL I Chase Marriott $10k I Venture $15.3k I Amex BCE $10K I PNC 13K I Chase IHG $8.6k l Amazon $6k l Chase Hyatt 20k l US Bank Cash+ $13K I Barclays $12.6k I Venture $13k l Discover it $4.6k l Express Next $3.1k l Amex EverDay $15K l Cabelas 1k I Wayfair $17.1k I Walmart $8k l SG $9.8k l Target $3.6K I PP 2K l AU Shell Gas $900 opened in 1974 l Ex 704 Tu 698 Eq 667

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

^ you keep thread jacking.

there are people here with 60-100 inquiries on each bureau that keep getting approved whereas some with 10 get denied for inquiries. depends on profile 100%. if your profile supports it then it isn't a huge deal. also depends on the types of inquiries.
Message 5 of 28
My_Fako
Established Contributor

(^ you keep thread jacking.)

Can't help myself tonight... sorry lol

My Mom was a Thread Jacker, think it runs in my family...

Amex PRG NPSL I Chase Marriott $10k I Venture $15.3k I Amex BCE $10K I PNC 13K I Chase IHG $8.6k l Amazon $6k l Chase Hyatt 20k l US Bank Cash+ $13K I Barclays $12.6k I Venture $13k l Discover it $4.6k l Express Next $3.1k l Amex EverDay $15K l Cabelas 1k I Wayfair $17.1k I Walmart $8k l SG $9.8k l Target $3.6K I PP 2K l AU Shell Gas $900 opened in 1974 l Ex 704 Tu 698 Eq 667

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

This my opinion on inquiries.  Yes it's better to have as few as possible but I think people here in general tend to be scared of applying after hearing about cc companies that are inquiry 'sensitive'.  I heard that about Citi.  Heard it about Barclays and other creditors and not once have I been denied due to inquiries and I had more than 10+ before I applied for my first Citi and Barclays cards.  Yes, credit card companies list 'too many inquiries' as denial reasons but I believe that they just throw that out there to cover the requirements of the FCRA.  Most often there is something else in that person's credit file that caused the denial and had those other unstated reasons not existed, they would have been approved regardless of the number of inquiries.

Message 7 of 28
olehammer
Frequent Contributor

7 to be exact. 7 is being my answer.

Message 8 of 28
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

apparently 80, eh
Message 9 of 28
jeffery581
Established Contributor

I had 58 when amex approved me for 2 cards. Fico 742. BUT. I paid off 16k in cc debt 4 months prior. YMMV I suppose. Also, Credit Solutions have given me CLI like from 1k to 15k on 5 differnt Visas and Mastercards in the last 2 months. I have been rebuilding so thats why so many. I am so far in the garden i am in the middle of a field. Store cards are being closed. Think I have 3 more to close.Smiley Very Happy

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.