Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many inquiries are too many?

tag
EdMan63
Established Contributor

Re: How many inquiries are too many?

I have 10 on EX 7on TU and 4 on EQ.  I don't want to add anymore at this point. Last year I was tying to get pre qualified for a mortgage and that added 2-4 on EX and TU  and they will be a year old this month. 2 fall EX and TU in Aug and 1 off EQ in August. So I don't think I'm bad but definitely higher than I've ever been. I blame finding myFico last February. Lol. I needed to add some credit depth so it was money well spent. Now just garden and wait for them to fall off. 

Message 21 of 28
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Zero.  None.  Nada.  Zilch.  

Anything more than zero is too muchSmiley WinkSmiley Wink

All of the inquiries I've had have dropped off; my EQ score increased, and along with dropping my util, I'm just shy of 850 on EQ as of this month. 

Full Disclosure:  I have a very thick file.  

Message 22 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

completley dependent on your profile. Theres really no such thing as too much

Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 21, 17 and 32. Some will fall off this year but the majority next year. I am done rebuilding, have my mortgage, car loan and all the cards I need. After about 10 I stopped caring how many I was racking up.
Message 24 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

darrick there is such thing as too many... though 10 may be too many to one whereas not to another but still... there is such thing as too many.
Message 25 of 28
red259
Super Contributor

@OroroMunroe wrote:

After reading a few threads about cards that are inquiry sensitive, I'm left wondering how credit grantors decide how many inquiries are considered too many. For example, do they have a certain number that they are guided by? I recently applied for and was approved for a card that most folks on the forum have labeled "inquiry sensitive" (Nordstrom). I have an obscene number of inquiries because I can't seem to stay in the garden (maybe because it's too cold outside- haha), and my scores are not great (I haven't broken into the 750 club). What are your experiences? How many are too many? 5? 10? 30? I look forward to your responses! 

13.4 inquiries is too many. The answer is there is no answer. It is based on your credit profile. For a person with a thin file 3 may be too many. For a person with a really thick file and long documented history they can have many many inquiries and still get approved. Inquiries matter more when you are starting out than when you are fully established. Different lenders view them in different ways as well.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 26 of 28
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@OroroMunroe wrote:

After reading a few threads about cards that are inquiry sensitive, I'm left wondering how credit grantors decide how many inquiries are considered too many. For example, do they have a certain number that they are guided by? I recently applied for and was approved for a card that most folks on the forum have labeled "inquiry sensitive" (Nordstrom). I have an obscene number of inquiries because I can't seem to stay in the garden (maybe because it's too cold outside- haha), and my scores are not great (I haven't broken into the 750 club). What are your experiences? How many are too many? 5? 10? 30? I look forward to your responses! 

13.4 inquiries is too many. The answer is there is no answer. It is based on your credit profile. For a person with a thin file 3 may be too many. For a person with a really thick file and long documented history they can have many many inquiries and still get approved. Inquiries matter more when you are starting out than when you are fully established. Different lenders view them in different ways as well.  

I agree, for the most part. I do think that at some point, even a thick, established file can run into trouble if you have a TON of inquiries, but a thinner file takes less to be impacted.

That said, it definitely doesn't hurt to keep inquiries to a minimum no matter what your file looks like. No lender wants to see more inquiries!

Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since no one should want any...I say no more than zero.
After reading this thread it occurs to me that some of you have more inqs on a single report than I have had in my entire history...crazy lol.
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.