cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many metal cards does chase have?

tag
djrez4
Established Contributor

Re: How many metal cards does chase have?

So, the comprehensive list of metal cards available in the USA:

Chase Sapphire Preferred

Chase Ritz Carlton

Chase Marriott

Chase United Club

J P Morgan Palladium

American Express Centurion

It also looks like the Chase Airtran Visa may be metal, but I don't think anyone actually has one of those.

Message 21 of 35
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

I wish chase would release a freedom preferred and make it metal. I also wish the Amex platinum was metal.

CSR | Ink Business Preferred | Amex Platinum | NFCU Cash Rewards
Message 22 of 35
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@darkfrosty wrote:

I wish chase would release a freedom preferred and make it metal. I also wish the Amex platinum was metal.

Chase used to offer a Freedom Plus that was a silvery gray color.  They did away with this offering though.

My dad used to carry one, and he gave it to me for me to use to purchase christmas stuff on since I was in the process of buying a house. I couldn't put it on my personal cards and risk going high on my utilization ratio, and I didn't want to use the cash that I had in savings for a down payment.

After we closed, I paid him back for the purchases made on his card with the funds leftover in my savings.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 23 of 35
android01
Valued Contributor

I think that the metal cards will probably end up saving money for those that issue them as replacements and the associated costs for plastic ones will be reduced.  I'm surprised more issuers haven't moved in this direction. 

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 24 of 35
CS800
Super Contributor

@android01 wrote:

I think that the metal cards will probably end up saving money for those that issue them as replacements and the associated costs for plastic ones will be reduced.  I'm surprised more issuers haven't moved in this direction. 

I think even if a carrd is metal, the magnetic strip wears out pretty much the same?

Unless you have a metal card with the EMV

Message 25 of 35
android01
Valued Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@android01 wrote:

I think even if a carrd is metal, the magnetic strip wears out pretty much the same?

Good point.  My experience has been that depending where the card sits in my wallet, they get bent and tear right under the magnetic strip before the strip wears out.  I've replaced one of my AMEX cards twice in the past three years.  Smiley Surprised

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 26 of 35
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@SuperKirby wrote:

ryanbush wrote: Also the AMEX Centurian and Barclays Black Card

The Barclays Black Card is made of some type of Carbon in which according to my chemistry class in college says is a non-metal =)

That card is a joke.

I think it looks ugly. 

https://www.blackcard.com/

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 27 of 35
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@jritch wrote:

I believe someone mentioned the United card has a metal core with plastic shell.

United Club is all metal.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 28 of 35
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

I think Chase will eventually have all their >$85 AF cards metal.

Update: I take that back, I doubt they will make the Explorer ($95) metal when the United Club ($395) is metal.

As for the Amex Plat, it's such a nice card and a really pretigious card however I don't think it will be metal for a long, long time. But I agree, for $450 and all the luxurious benefits, metal would be nice.

Message 29 of 35
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@android01 wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

@android01 wrote:

Good point.  My experience has been that depending where the card sits in my wallet, they get bent and tear right under the magnetic strip before the strip wears out.  I've replaced one of my AMEX cards twice in the past three years.  Smiley Surprised

I also think the percentage of cards that get lost or stolen likely erodes any savings as well.

Don't know if I completely understand the fuss regarding metal cards, but may wind up eventually with the CSP instead of my current BOFA Travel Rewards (since I still have my old secured card AF attached to it) and my restaurant spend even half a year covers it points wise... but maybe that changes next year with mortgage.  

Admittedly there are worse problems to have hehe.

        
Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.