cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many of you guys carry balances?

tag
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

Re: How many of you guys carry balances?

Previously I carried balances during promotions, but not lately.  Ever since I learned how the balances affect my FICO scores, I find it difficult to not PIF.  Starting March 2015, I'll probably start taking advantage of promotional interest rates again. Because aside from myFICO score, I love using opm (other people's money).

According to the myFICO EQ simulator, I should be able to get my score back up to 792 by 7/28/15.  Thus, June or July I'll stop taking advantage of the promotional rate so that I can see how good the simulator's prediction worked. 

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 53
CaSHMeRe
New Contributor

I don't really pay attention to when statements cut on each of my CC's.  I PIF via autopay every month and never carry a balance, but AMEX tends to report a balance.

I should probably work it out so its reports a zero balance ~ I've just gotten lazy Smiley Happy  LOL

Message 22 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

it's OK to carry balances sometimes. i had to do some home improvements a while back. I called my cards and asked for a promo APR. Discover granted me 2% APR for 16 months and I took that. 2% is not bad at all espcially since i got 5% cashback on those purchases anyway. 

BUT! if you are carrying a balance on a CC with an APR over 8% (cashback or not) at any point, than you have to start cutting back on your spending. or maybe rethink your career plans. it is just not a good idea.

Message 23 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have never carried a balance on any of my cards (including the intro 0% ones) and I hope I never have to. 

Message 24 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am carrying a balance on Chase Freedom, only because the promotional 0% interest period doesn't end until January 2016. Also Care Credit which has 0% for 12 months on medical expenses. Wally and Amazon I'm paying in full when I can.
Message 25 of 53
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

I avoid carrying balances like Superman avoids kryptonite.  Ha ha.  The last time I carried a balance was back in 2013 for a month or so while in the 0% APR intro period with Discover.  I only did that for kicks.  I never carried a balance during my 0% intro period with the BCE or Quicksilver.  I got into some serious issues many years ago as a result of carrying balances and I'm never doing that again if I can help it.

Message 26 of 53
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I'm carrying balances unfortunately right now on a couple of 0% cards. Those 0% offers are the devil. Smiley Very Happy

Message 27 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

I carry balances on 3 of my cards . Which equals to about 25% uti of all available credit. 

But that does lower the scores. but they will be paid within a month. 

Message 28 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I carry balances for duration of grace period. Does that count?

no lol 

Message 29 of 53
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

I carry balance on 0% cards

Message 30 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.