Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many of your cards are SMART?

tag
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

Re: How many of your cards are SMART?

@Roarmeister wrote:

I have Pay Wave on one of my cards.  I haven't used it yet.  But I am curious as to how close you have to be to the reader in order for it to sense your card?  Could you accidentally pay for something you didn't want to if you had your card in your front pockets?

OK, I just googled the PayWave.  It it meant for purchases under $50 in the first place, which I didn't know.  Probably useful for my next Subway sandwich purchase.

PS. I also have another type of card -- its a low amount debit card used by Tim Horton's.  I have it set to autoload to a preset amount.  So after a few coffee breaks, it reloads from my CC.  Smiley LOL

I'm batting 0 for 7 on the EMV chips. I do have 2 cards with NFC chips though - AmEx BCP with ExpressPay and Discover More with Zip. You have to hold them an inch or so from the reader so accidental purchase is not a problem.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 23
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

none of my cards have the EMV. I dont plan on going abroad any time soon so im not too worried about it. 

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 22 of 23
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

EMV isn't about going abroad -- it's about additional security.  Wouldn't that be a plus for you?

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.