cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many payments do you make a month?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How many payments do you make a month?

@xgac12x wrote:
Currently in my wallet I have the CSP, Freedom and Freedom Unlimited.

I keep a running balance of each one and I like to pay it once a week or even more depending on my spending habits for that particular week.

How do you all do yours? Do you just pay it down to like $1 a day before the statement, or do you like to make multiple payments throughout the month?

Unless there is a special case, generally two - one before the statement cuts and one when the minimum payment (if there is one) is due.

I had to spend $3k in the first 90 days on my NFCU card w/ a $1000 CL for a bonus, so I was running everything through it and paying it once or twice a week. I'm up to $2400 so I can stop that and a few recurring bills on auto payment in the next few weeks will throw me over $3k.

Message 41 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pay ALL of my cards every 2 weeks on payday. Some I PIF and some I carry a balance if they are 0%. I NEVER pay interest. Doesnt make sense. I use credit like a debit card sounless its a large purcahse or special occasion I always PIF. On my Discover which is 0% I carry a balance cause I make out the categories for 10% back

Message 42 of 46
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I put spend on my 3 Chase cards every month. Pay after statement cuts, usually hover between 1-3% overall util. Individual cards will be higher. I've built up a buffer in an extra account (not my checking) that would allow me to pay off all cards right away if trouble came. I don't spend what I don't have though...been there and done that. Took a long time to recover and learn from that.

I just posted a balance on my Chase statement and paid right after the statement cut. The payment posted the business day after the statement date. It looks like Chase bypassed reporting the statement balance and went straight to reporting zero.

Ever since people here were subjected to AA from CapOne for statement balances too low on CapOne and non-CapOne cards, I've been allowing larger balances to report, especially on a non-CapOne card. I don't like feeling that I should have to do that. I'd much rather pay as I go along. It's a better feeling knowing that people have their money, and I feel like I have better control of my spending.

Message 43 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

As soon as I put a charge on it, I pay it once I get home or whatever. I can't stand having a balance looking at me on my budget. SO many many times a month.

Message 44 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I make one payment per month. I read users who make multiple payments per month.  That they're concerned about their utilization and they try to convince credit card companies to increase their credit limits, etc.. I use my credit cards, they send me a bill, I send them a check. I know it's old school. But it works. I don't have time to worry about how much I'm letting a statement show. I just make sure I pay on time. I've never asked for a credit limit increase.  I've just always gotten them automatically. Just pay on time. That's what I've found the secret to be. 

Pretty much this ... If i'm trying to keep my UTI down I'll try to pay before the statement cuts, but by and large, I let it report whatever and then pay it off the next pay period after the statement. 

Message 45 of 46
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

When I had low limits, I would sometimes have to pay multiple times per month. Now, once per month.

I get paid 2x per month and pay certain cards each payday...but still 1 payment per month on any single card.

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 46 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.