cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many points on average does a score go up?

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

How many points on average does a score go up?

I was wondering on average how many points my score will go up with only CC's? And does it go up faster with more CC's? Because i noticed when my cards report it goes up so does it go up per card. Also this would be PIF on each card, and keeping utilization low.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
red259
Super Contributor

Re: How many points on average does a score go up?

Your score does not necessarily go up with each new card (unless you didn't have any in which case it will go up for the first few cards as the accounts age). Additional credit allows you to spend more and keep your util down at same time which does help your credit score. The general consensus seems to be that you can get the best score with three cards with only one showing a balance to the CRAs. Some people have many more cards and it does not heavily impact their score, but I don't think its really helping their score that much either. Its more about all the other factors in a person's credit report and not specifically the number of cards.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 5
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Your scores might go up for the first few cards but it will get to the point that your scores will drop when adding additional cards.

There have been people here with scores in the 800s with only two credit cards. The problem with that is it is a really thin file so if you add another card, BAM, your score really drops a lot.

IMHO it would be good to slowly add credit cards until you have 6 to 8 cards. This will build a wide and deep base so when you have credit needs in the future your scores won't drop as much.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 3 of 5
red259
Super Contributor

@jamie123 wrote:

Your scores might go up for the first few cards but it will get to the point that your scores will drop when adding additional cards.

There have been people here with scores in the 800s with only two credit cards. The problem with that is it is a really thin file so if you add another card, BAM, your score really drops a lot.

IMHO it would be good to slowly add credit cards until you have 6 to 8 cards. This will build a wide and deep base so when you have credit needs in the future your scores won't drop as much.

This is true but I would only add cards if you need them not just to make your file thicker. Also, when starting out look at no AF cards as those are cards you will be able to keep open in the long run without having to pay an annual fee. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 4 of 5
missjae
Established Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:
I was wondering on average how many points my score will go up with only CC's? And does it go up faster with more CC's? Because i noticed when my cards report it goes up so does it go up per card. Also this would be PIF on each card, and keeping utilization low.

My score (according to CK) went up when I added cards because the limits helped to lower my utilization.  The increase was negligible though, maybe 10 points, if that.  Adding cards lowered my AAoA and added inquiries, so I suppose it would only go up so much.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.