cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many "premium" travel cards do you really use?

tag
nitrov
Established Contributor

How many "premium" travel cards do you really use?

I've had Amex Platinum, now I went back to PRG instead, but also have Citi Prestige, Chase IHG, and now Chase Marriott that I'm considering swapping out for the Ritz-Carlton card. It makes me wonder, as I look at sigs and think for myself...how many can you REALLY use and actively benefit from while maximizing respective loyalty program and card benefits?

I know for a lot of people it's preference, like SPG vs. Hilton vs. IHG vs. Ritz/Marriott, but then when you toss in various cards like CSP, Amex Platinum/Centurion/Gold, Citi Prestige, Barclays Arrival, etc. NOT TO MENTION airline cards...how many is really too many? I'm curious what combinations of these cards people have been able to actually take the most advantage of. When I think of the possibility of adding Ritz card, I think I'd be over $1000 in AFs in CCs, and I'm just trying to gauge how much I would actually be able to benefit from all of them. I know it really depends how much you travel, how much you spend, etc. but I'd like some real-life examples of people who have made mutliple cards like these really work for them.

Anyone who'd like to share? I'd like to also see some info like how much you travel for work vs. personal, benefits you've gotten, return on investment you perceive yourself getting when you consider AF vs. actual savings, etc. I know there are creative ways to combine the benefit of having more than one of these cards, but I'm sure there are even some I'm not realizing. 

I can tell you for me, I travel about 40% for work, 60% personal. I try and stay in IHG properties since I'm a Platinum Ambassador with them, but I have no airline status with anyone. I have access to Delta & AA Admiral's lounges as well as the "Passport" airport lounges, but only if I'm flying on that airline. I'm still Gold with SPG and Hilton from when I had the Platinum card, and now I'm also Silver with Marriott due to that card (and I'd be gold with them if I got the Ritz card). I also get high status with several car rental companies. So far, the best way I've made this work with other cards, is getting upgrades with the respective hotel group, and using Prestige to get my 4th night free unless I'm staying with points from the respective program. I'm new to this combo for myself so if there's any added benefit or synergy I may be missing, please let me know!

Smiley Happy

My Top 3: Amex Delta Platinum ($30k) | Amex PRG | Citi Prestige ($30k) |

Starting scores 600-640 (2013), current 765-775 (2019); It is possible!

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
ddemari
Super Contributor

Re: How many "premium" travel cards do you really use?

I need to trim down on my "premium" travel cards. Although I was really doing well making the amount of money the annual fees cost me in relation to their benefit to me, the fee's are getting way to high and i need to chose a few to keep and slowly close out the others. 

I have....

Amex Platinum (which I am 99% sure I am downgrading to PRG in July once I can)

Ritz Visa Signature - Expensive but staying at the Ritz for a few nights every 3 months racks up reward points and I use the $300 travel credit fee. So the Ritz which may seem expensive is actually very worth while if you stay at their properties

Chase United Club Card Visa Signature- Expensive but I LOVE me a United Lounge and fly enough to use it

Barclay Aviator WEMC Silver- Probably going to the chopping block or downgrading it, i really like flying United or AA

PenFed travel rewards Amex- No fee's so its a keeper 

The real premium travel cards can be lucrative for people, just dont over do it on them. 

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use all of the premium travel cards I have.

Message 3 of 24
nitrov
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I use all of the premium travel cards I have.

care to elaborate?

Message 4 of 24
resilient
Established Contributor

I use all of mine....AmEx Platinum because I have no annual fee (AD), as well as my PRG and SPG (don't really use it often, but it's free and my oldest AmEx account). I use the Ritz for the $300 reimbursement as well. This is my only annual fee card.

Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 5 of 24
nitrov
Established Contributor

@ddemari wrote:

I need to trim down on my "premium" travel cards. Although I was really doing well making the amount of money the annual fees cost me in relation to their benefit to me, the fee's are getting way to high and i need to chose a few to keep and slowly close out the others. 

I have....

Amex Platinum (which I am 99% sure I am downgrading to PRG in July once I can)

Ritz Visa Signature - Expensive but staying at the Ritz for a few nights every 3 months racks up reward points and I use the $300 travel credit fee. So the Ritz which may seem expensive is actually very worth while if you stay at their properties

Chase United Club Card Visa Signature- Expensive but I LOVE me a United Lounge and fly enough to use it

Barclay Aviator WEMC Silver- Probably going to the chopping block or downgrading it, i really like flying United or AA

PenFed travel rewards Amex- No fee's so its a keeper 

The real premium travel cards can be lucrative for people, just dont over do it on them. 

So you have both the Marriott and Ritz cards? What's the benefit of having both? There were things I liked about Amex Platinum, but I think for the AF, Citi Prestige is better bang for your buck. I don't even really use my PRG much anymore, but I don't think I'd want to downgrade it to a green card just to save a couple bucks. 

Thanks for providing the info Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 24
redpat
Senior Contributor

Amex plat and Presige give me all the perks I need and CSP/Ink+ & EDP gives me great rewards and transfers to partners.  There is really no need for a hotel card or airline card having these five cards, IMO.  They all complement themselves without having to dilute spend.

The only lounge access I don't have is United, which I don't fly on much other than reward by transferring UR.

The only other travel card that has value IMO is Ritz, 10k spend for gold status is a good value, especially with the SPG merger.  

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I keep mine pretty balanced on how/ what I'm spending... 

AMEX Platinum - I keep and use for the benefits. Some monthly bills go on it that don't get me a rewards category on another card... I also use it when I get a good AMEX offer like now with 2X MR points at Target.  I was able to snag a 100K MR offer last year and could justify the $450 fee. I also used $200 airline fee reimbursement last year on seat upgrades and another $200 this year for the same thing. It paid for my wife's TSA Precheck fee, saving another $85. I use the platinum concierge maybe once every other month and they have come though every time when I was unable to (reservations). 

AMEX PRG - The daily spender. If it's not a 5% category from Discover, it goes on the PRG. Love it. You can accumulate quite a bit of MR points from this card. I received the 50K MR offer and used my $100 airline fee reimbursement already for seat upgrades. 

Citi Premier - Great benefit card for travel and car rental. I use this for car rentals and paying for them with points. Couple bills go on this one a month... Not much though. Anytime I need to purchase something expensive and want extra warranty coverage with a no hassle warranty claim department if I need them (from my experience), I use the premier. I purchased a nice Casio watch and thanks to work, I broke it... I filed the easiest claim ever through Citi and had received a check later that week for the full purchase price of the watch. Easy decision to keep using. 

CapOne Venture - Hasn't been used in a few months which tells me it's time to let go of it. I do like the trip eraser ability though... But, meh. 

Discover It - Does this count as a premier card?? Anything 5% category and Discover deals. 

Citi Hilton - Only Hilton purchases.  Gold status makes this card a keeper. 

AMEX Delta - Only Delta purchases. Great benefits as far as complimentary checked bag for you and your travel party. So just with that its a keeper too. 

Message 8 of 24
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Most of my spending right now goes between EDP, Ink plus , and citi premeir. The only exceptions is if there is an good 5% category from discover or freedom. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 9 of 24
nitrov
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I keep mine pretty balanced on how/ what I'm spending... 

AMEX Platinum - I keep and use for the benefits. Some monthly bills go on it that don't get me a rewards category on another card... I also use it when I get a good AMEX offer like now with 2X MR points at Target.  I was able to snag a 100K MR offer last year and could justify the $450 fee. I also used $200 airline fee reimbursement last year on seat upgrades and another $200 this year for the same thing. It paid for my wife's TSA Precheck fee, saving another $85. I use the platinum concierge maybe once every other month and they have come though every time when I was unable to (reservations). 

AMEX PRG - The daily spender. If it's not a 5% category from Discover, it goes on the PRG. Love it. You can accumulate quite a bit of MR points from this card. I received the 50K MR offer and used my $100 airline fee reimbursement already for seat upgrades. 

Citi Premier - Great benefit card for travel and car rental. I use this for car rentals and paying for them with points. Couple bills go on this one a month... Not much though. Anytime I need to purchase something expensive and want extra warranty coverage with a no hassle warranty claim department if I need them (from my experience), I use the premier. I purchased a nice Casio watch and thanks to work, I broke it... I filed the easiest claim ever through Citi and had received a check later that week for the full purchase price of the watch. Easy decision to keep using. 

CapOne Venture - Hasn't been used in a few months which tells me it's time to let go of it. I do like the trip eraser ability though... But, meh. 

Discover It - Does this count as a premier card?? Anything 5% category and Discover deals. 

Citi Hilton - Only Hilton purchases.  Gold status makes this card a keeper. 

AMEX Delta - Only Delta purchases. Great benefits as far as complimentary checked bag for you and your travel party. So just with that its a keeper too. 

Doesn't Amex Platinum give you Gold Hilton status already? I don't think I've ever gotten a 2x MR for Target offer...that could be a mega-earner for me LOL. I also forget that the airline/travel credits are per CALENDAR year and not per AF cycle...hm, I wonder if I've been leaving money on the table from that. The only thing I don't like about Amex when it comes to the airline credit is that you have to pre-select the airline you get the credit for whereas Citi it can be any airline (at least I think). 

I don't think I've ever really used Platinum Concierge before. Can you give me an example of what kind of reservation they've been able to get you?

Cap One Venture is such a let-down for me, but it's Cap One so my expectations weren't that high to begin with Smiley LOL can't complain for no AF though

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.