cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many "premium" travel cards do you really use?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How many "premium" travel cards do you really use?

@nitrov wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I use all of the premium travel cards I have.

care to elaborate?

I don't have any. Smiley LOL

Message 11 of 24
nitrov
Established Contributor

Also, which of these cards do you guys find best for redeeming points for airline tickets? Specifically any international travel

My Top 3: Amex Delta Platinum ($30k) | Amex PRG | Citi Prestige ($30k) |

Starting scores 600-640 (2013), current 765-775 (2019); It is possible!

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nitrov wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I keep mine pretty balanced on how/ what I'm spending... 

AMEX Platinum - I keep and use for the benefits. Some monthly bills go on it that don't get me a rewards category on another card... I also use it when I get a good AMEX offer like now with 2X MR points at Target.  I was able to snag a 100K MR offer last year and could justify the $450 fee. I also used $200 airline fee reimbursement last year on seat upgrades and another $200 this year for the same thing. It paid for my wife's TSA Precheck fee, saving another $85. I use the platinum concierge maybe once every other month and they have come though every time when I was unable to (reservations). 

AMEX PRG - The daily spender. If it's not a 5% category from Discover, it goes on the PRG. Love it. You can accumulate quite a bit of MR points from this card. I received the 50K MR offer and used my $100 airline fee reimbursement already for seat upgrades. 

Citi Premier - Great benefit card for travel and car rental. I use this for car rentals and paying for them with points. Couple bills go on this one a month... Not much though. Anytime I need to purchase something expensive and want extra warranty coverage with a no hassle warranty claim department if I need them (from my experience), I use the premier. I purchased a nice Casio watch and thanks to work, I broke it... I filed the easiest claim ever through Citi and had received a check later that week for the full purchase price of the watch. Easy decision to keep using. 

CapOne Venture - Hasn't been used in a few months which tells me it's time to let go of it. I do like the trip eraser ability though... But, meh. 

Discover It - Does this count as a premier card?? Anything 5% category and Discover deals. 

Citi Hilton - Only Hilton purchases.  Gold status makes this card a keeper. 

AMEX Delta - Only Delta purchases. Great benefits as far as complimentary checked bag for you and your travel party. So just with that its a keeper too. 

Doesn't Amex Platinum give you Gold Hilton status already? I don't think I've ever gotten a 2x MR for Target offer...that could be a mega-earner for me LOL. I also forget that the airline/travel credits are per CALENDAR year and not per AF cycle...hm, I wonder if I've been leaving money on the table from that. The only thing I don't like about Amex when it comes to the airline credit is that you have to pre-select the airline you get the credit for whereas Citi it can be any airline (at least I think). 

I don't think I've ever really used Platinum Concierge before. Can you give me an example of what kind of reservation they've been able to get you?

Cap One Venture is such a let-down for me, but it's Cap One so my expectations weren't that high to begin with Smiley LOL can't complain for no AF though

Yea, the AMEX Platinum gives you Gold status but I like how I can get 10 Hilton points per dollar with the Hilton card. I need to test out the gold status with SPG through the platinum now that I think about it. Smiley Happy

Don't forget to grab the money on the table! Haha yes, it resets every Jan 1 for AMEX.  Choosing the specific airline is kind of a downer but it seems to work. 

Ok, so with the platinum concierge I used them to book a dinner reservation at a restaurant downtown...on Valentine's Day... 2 days before. Lol when I tried I was told by the restaurant they were full. Platinum concierge called and was able to talk to the manager and got me a table.  I've also used them for other restaurants on normal weekends that fill up and the concierge is able to get a table. Need tickets to a baseball or football game but don't want to call a ticket broker to find the "sold out" seats? Platinum concierge will do it for you and track some down. Smiley Happy. There was an AMA on another website from a former platinum concierge representative and he said as long as the request from the card member is legal, then they can try to make it happen. There are some pretty crazy requests on there... Lol

Message 13 of 24
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

I have multiple travel cards, and most of them are useful.  But I'm pretty far outside the norm in that I travel for work 60%+ of the time, all reimbursable.  If I just traveled for pleasure, or used company cc's, then my portfolio would be quite different.

CSP - I use this for all my airfare and rental cars.  The insurance coverage for both of these make the AF so worthwhile, a real value IMO.  UR's are valuable to me because there are so many ways to redeem.  I also check the UR mall when I ever I'm shopping online and remember.  I don't necessarily use my CSP, and it's an easy way to earn extra points.  I also use for dining at least part of the time as well.  My restaurant spend is relatively high, related to travel and entertaining.  This is also my back up card for non-category spend when Amex or JCB/Discover isn't accepted, because I value UR points more than any other point or miles

Marriott Rewards - I use this only at Marriott properties.  Any other spending doesn't make sense on this card, as Marriott points are worth so little. The annual cert isn't valuable for me personally, as there aren't many cat 5 or lower properties that work for me for personal travel.  But since I stay at Marriott's almost exclusively, the points really add up, and make the AF worthwhile.

Amex Plat - I have this almost exclusively for Delta Lounge access, as I fly Delta almost exclusively.  I use the airline credit on gift cards.  I also use on big purchases I want an extended warranty on.  The concierge has come in handy at times for restaurant reservations.

Ritz - I got this for the 140K bonus.  If I didn't drop the CL, and have my AF waived the first, and now second year, I would have canceled.  I don't need the Marriott status and I rarely stay at Ritz, so no use for the certs.  Since the gift card loophole was closed up, I haven't used much of the airline credit either.  I have used the Lounge Pass a few times, if Priority Pass wasn't accepted.

Delta Amex Gold - I got the Delta Plat for the signup bonus, and then downgraded to the Gold.  I really should cancel, because I never use it.  For booking flights I use my CSP, as the trip insurance is better and 2 UR > 2 Skymiles.  I keep it because I have a $28K CL, and no other Amex cards I'd rather transfer the limit to.

Barclay Aviator - Got this for the sign up bonus.  I would cancel except I have a BT on it, and continue to get 1% offers.  Rarely fly AA, so benefits aren't really worth the AF for me.

Amex Blue Sky - I got this because of the 2 for 1 HP when I was still building my profile.  Have literally never used it, but it's a $10K CL w no AF.  It help my utilization padding because of my high travel spend.  

Message 14 of 24
galahad15
Valued Contributor

I have 2 premium travel cards, AFAIK:

(1)  Cap1 NHM Ultra Platinum MC:  operates the same way as a Venture, 2% cashback on all purchases, redeemable at 2% for travel-related purchases (and gift cards as well I think?).  I use this rather heavily for my regular/daily subway commute.

(2)  BoA Travel Rewards VS:  don't really use it so much for travel purposes, but more as a general-purpose card for carrying balances, due to the low APR.  Also keep in store in the event that the Cap1 NHM card is ever nerfed for any reason.

Also:  My Cap1 BuyPower WEMC, while not a travel card itself, I plan on using for car rentals while on vacation, due to the WEMC-specific car rental benefits.

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only have one - Chase United, because I travel United all of the time. It works for me.

Message 16 of 24
elim
Senior Contributor

lately...

PRG, Venture and Ritz

I'm churning a couple HH cards this month so they get use. I keep Marriott for the free night. Killing UR and MR as It's getting to be a pain for me to find seats on any transfer partners and I'm cool with 2% and RC.

Apping for Surpass before the 100k expires but expect a denial (I'm borderline as AMEX gave me a 1k limit on HH last month). I'll keep this card if approved.

Message 17 of 24
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@nitrov wrote:

It makes me wonder, as I look at sigs and think for myself...how many can you REALLY use and actively benefit from while maximizing respective loyalty program and card benefits? 

People vary.  Income, budgets, spend, travel, preferences and many other things vary.  For me it works out to 1 card though my wife has another that we use.  YMMV.

The thing with looking at signatures is that a lot of people don't carefully consider such things and just look at the card without fully evaluating whether or not a given card really suits the individual.  They really should be considering their spend level, rewards earn rate, redemption impact on reward value, how long it takes to accrue enough rewards to redeem, etc.  Consider how many people get worked up over metal cards, the "prestige" or "image" of AmEx, etc.  Looking at signatures isn't going to help you out in determining how many and which cards are best suited to you.

In any case, premium is so subjective that it really doesn't mean much.  It's not the premium label that matters but whether or not the card suits the individual -- same as with any card.

@nitrov wrote:

I know for a lot of people it's preference, like SPG vs. Hilton vs. IHG vs. Ritz/Marriott, but then when you toss in various cards like CSP, Amex Platinum/Centurion/Gold, Citi Prestige, Barclays Arrival, etc. NOT TO MENTION airline cards...how many is really too many?

Run the numbers for your spend from spend all the way through redemptions.  Determine the value you're getting on rewards.  Look at how long it takes you to accrue enough to redeem.  Is that time to accrue long because your spend is spread over multiple programs?  If you are spread out is the time significantly reduced by being in less programs?  The way to sort all this out isn't by polling others but doing an analysis on your own situation and spend.  If you're happy with the results of the analysis then it may be "just right".  If you're not happy then you may have too many or possibly unrealistic expectations.

@nitrov wrote:

I'm curious what combinations of these cards people have been able to actually take the most advantage of.

That really won't mean much unless your situation and ability to leverage redemption options is similar enough to another person benefitting from a given combo.  It's not just about the cards or combos.  Your spend, situation and all that is what should drive the card selection process for you.  I can tell you that the premium cards I mentioned above were the CSP and the AmEx Platinum but that doesn't mean that they're necessarily a good combo for you or another person.  It's the why behind how these cards suit us that matters.

We live in a United fortress hub city -- United fully occupies 3 of the 5 terminals and even has some gates in a 4th terminal.  All our travel is on United.  That makes Ultimate Rewards a natural fit since United is a UR transfer partner.  The Platinum suits us because we see its premium travel benefits as beneficial.  If you're not going to redeem with United and/or other UR transfer partners and if you don't see any use for the Platinum's travel benefits then none of that will matter to you and the CSP and Platinum would probably not be a good combo for you.  Even if you can make use of UR transfer partners you need to calculuate out what sort of value you can get per UR point to see if it is a good fit for you.

@nitrov wrote:

When I think of the possibility of adding Ritz card, I think I'd be over $1000 in AFs in CCs

With any card you need to consider not just AF's but total cost/benefit.  If you're not doing that it's no wonder that you're having difficulty assessing things.  Some benefits are difficult to put a $ value to but it's up to you to determine some way of evaluating and comparing the worth of such benefits to you.  You can certainly calculate out rewards values and value of benefits with a $ impact.  It is trickier to do with travel cards versus cash back cards but it can be done and it will help you with assessing such things.

@nitrov wrote:

I'd like to also see some info like how much you travel for work vs. personal

That can play a part but amount of travel isn't necessarily important.  A person who redeems for just one trip a year in a premium international cabin can see significant value just from that one redemption.  Granted, amount of travel might affect rewards accrual depending on the card(s).  I rarely travel for work.  Personal travel varies.

Message 18 of 24
nitrov
Established Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@nitrov wrote:

It makes me wonder, as I look at sigs and think for myself...how many can you REALLY use and actively benefit from while maximizing respective loyalty program and card benefits? 

People vary.  Income, budgets, spend, travel, preferences and many other things vary.  For me it works out to 1 card though my wife has another that we use.  YMMV.

The thing with looking at signatures is that a lot of people don't carefully consider such things and just look at the card without fully evaluating whether or not a given card really suits the individual.  They really should be considering their spend level, rewards earn rate, redemption impact on reward value, how long it takes to accrue enough rewards to redeem, etc.  Consider how many people get worked up over metal cards, the "prestige" or "image" of AmEx, etc.  Looking at signatures isn't going to help you out in determining how many and which cards are best suited to you.

In any case, premium is so subjective that it really doesn't mean much.  It's not the premium label that matters but whether or not the card suits the individual -- same as with any card.

@nitrov wrote:

I know for a lot of people it's preference, like SPG vs. Hilton vs. IHG vs. Ritz/Marriott, but then when you toss in various cards like CSP, Amex Platinum/Centurion/Gold, Citi Prestige, Barclays Arrival, etc. NOT TO MENTION airline cards...how many is really too many?

Run the numbers for your spend from spend all the way through redemptions.  Determine the value you're getting on rewards.  Look at how long it takes you to accrue enough to redeem.  Is that time to accrue long because your spend is spread over multiple programs?  If you are spread out is the time significantly reduced by being in less programs?  The way to sort all this out isn't by polling others but doing an analysis on your own situation and spend.  If you're happy with the results of the analysis then it may be "just right".  If you're not happy then you may have too many or possibly unrealistic expectations.

@nitrov wrote:

I'm curious what combinations of these cards people have been able to actually take the most advantage of.

That really won't mean much unless your situation and ability to leverage redemption options is similar enough to another person benefitting from a given combo.  It's not just about the cards or combos.  Your spend, situation and all that is what should drive the card selection process for you.  I can tell you that the premium cards I mentioned above were the CSP and the AmEx Platinum but that doesn't mean that they're necessarily a good combo for you or another person.  It's the why behind how these cards suit us that matters.

We live in a United fortress hub city -- United fully occupies 3 of the 5 terminals and even has some gates in a 4th terminal.  All our travel is on United.  That makes Ultimate Rewards a natural fit since United is a UR transfer partner.  The Platinum suits us because we see its premium travel benefits as beneficial.  If you're not going to redeem with United and/or other UR transfer partners and if you don't see any use for the Platinum's travel benefits then none of that will matter to you and the CSP and Platinum would probably not be a good combo for you.  Even if you can make use of UR transfer partners you need to calculuate out what sort of value you can get per UR point to see if it is a good fit for you.

@nitrov wrote:

When I think of the possibility of adding Ritz card, I think I'd be over $1000 in AFs in CCs

With any card you need to consider not just AF's but total cost/benefit.  If you're not doing that it's no wonder that you're having difficulty assessing things.  Some benefits are difficult to put a $ value to but it's up to you to determine some way of evaluating and comparing the worth of such benefits to you.  You can certainly calculate out rewards values and value of benefits with a $ impact.  It is trickier to do with travel cards versus cash back cards but it can be done and it will help you with assessing such things.

@nitrov wrote:

I'd like to also see some info like how much you travel for work vs. personal

That can play a part but amount of travel isn't necessarily important.  A person who redeems for just one trip a year in a premium international cabin can see significant value just from that one redemption.  Granted, amount of travel might affect rewards accrual depending on the card(s).  I rarely travel for work.  Personal travel varies.

I'm trying to get best practices from other folks who have been successfully able to maximize benefits from multiple travel cards, because that's what I want to try and accomplish. I travel enough for work AND personal, and often have a lot of flexibility in where I stay and who I fly so I want to make sure I'm getting the most of what my potential resources are. I know my spend, it's usually $2-4k per month, but my problem right now is I really HAVEN'T been redeemding a lot of my points AT ALL because I've been trying to save them up for a bigger international trip, like you mentioned something like business class. As far as actual card benefits go, I want to try and have good status with a couple different hotel groups and IDEALLY an airline, which I do not have now, but I've had no luck in getting airline status beyond skyclub/lounge access with CCs thus far, hence why I'm trying to see if anyone has been successful in doing that.

Right now, I have MR points (about 80k), UR points (about 30k), I'll have 80k TY points from Prestige, I have about 160k points on IHG, I'll have about 100k on Marriott after that signup bonus, and then a few other odds and ends on lesser used programs. I know there's reciprocity on a lot of these programs via transfer capabilities, and that some are better than others when it comes to these, but I know a lot of folks here know more about this subject than I do which is why I'm trying to seek advice on how I can possibly best aggregate what I have to get some different travel options. Like, maybe I could get a round trip ticket to Thailand if I transferred x number of abc points to xyz company...and since I have def CC I could also get a free upgrade to whatever. Book whatever on this card and also get travel insurance, etc. etc. That's what I really want to get out of all this. If there's a card I could better leverage or sign up for that can help me maximize some of these possibilities, I am just trying to learn about it.

My Top 3: Amex Delta Platinum ($30k) | Amex PRG | Citi Prestige ($30k) |

Starting scores 600-640 (2013), current 765-775 (2019); It is possible!

Message 19 of 24
Open123
Super Contributor

The cards I actively use and find the value far exceeds the annual costs.

1.  Amex Bus Plat - Lounge acces 30X per year, MR First (comes in handy once in a blue moon), gogo (use all my passes), Airline credit, and no-ftf/complimentary Regus when abroad.

2.  JPM Ritz - Stay at Ritz properites a couple of weeks per year (use all my club upgrades), my preferred rental insurance and like the flexible Airline credit on $300 where I use for upgrades to F.  Marriott Gold comes in handy when I have some stays at Marriotts.

3.  Citi Prestige - Just got his for the promo, but will use fully the $250 Airline credit, AA Lounge access, TY AA redemptions, and may try the 4th night free.

After this year, I'll likely cut one of them.  These days, most of my travel are personal and paid for on my own and not too crazy about $1,200 in fees.  I'll purge either the JPM Ritz or Prestige, since I use the Amex Lounges so often.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.