Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many store cards are too many?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How many store cards are too many?

More than the amount you REGULARLY use. (At least once monthly)

Message 11 of 25
clumsymoon
Valued Member

Yes, been married almost 6 years and hoping for kids in the next year or two.

My bank cards are both with Citi and the usbank one is the one I'm planning to close. I am interested in chase slate but have to wait until I pay this debt off to apply

Sounds like the consensus is that it doesn't matter? Haha thanks guys I just didnt want my CR to look bad having all these.

Starting Score: 641
Current Score: 680
Goal Score: 730

Message 12 of 25
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@margotandzoey wrote:
Yes, been married almost 6 years and hoping for kids in the next year or two.

My bank cards are both with Citi and the usbank one is the one I'm planning to close. I am interested in chase slate but have to wait until I pay this debt off to apply

Sounds like the consensus is that it doesn't matter? Haha thanks guys I just didnt want my CR to look bad having all these.

Have you called US Bank about PCing into the Cash+ card and asking about an APR reduction? I'd do that before I closed the account.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 13 of 25
kjel
Established Contributor

I have one store card but I get a lot of rewards for using it so it's worth my while.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

like a poster said: if you are getting cards and not using them.. then you have way too many cards. im fine with one store card (macy's since i buy a lot clothes for work and i get coupons and stuff.)

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

like a poster said: if you are getting cards and not using them.. then you have way too many cards. im fine with one store card (macy's since i buy a lot clothes for work and i get coupons and stuff.)

you buy a lot of clothes for work?... what do you do?

Message 16 of 25
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@margotandzoey wrote:

Just got a steady, good paying job a few months ago and plan to completely pay down my debt (except for some students loans that I'll be paying on until I'm 90) in the next two years. I have way too many cards open for my personal taste, and I want to cut some of them out. I wondered what was the ideal number of store cards to have and if they were worth the perks. Here's what I have:

Want to keep:

*Care Credit - Got in an emergency dental need. Would like to keep because it's a nice to have a backup if something medically costly comes up.

*CarCareOne - Just got this card; I had awful experiences with Firestone (service, not the card) and I wanted a back up car care card with options other than Firestone. Wondered if it hurt me to have both this and carecredit?

Not Sure about:

*JCPenney - this is my oldest account on my credit report other than my student loans. The interest rate is terrible but I have a decent credit limit and could be helpful once I have a family.

*Old Navy Visa - I get lots of rewards on this card and shop at Old Navy pretty regularly.

*Victoria's Secret - couldn't get approved for this when i worked there (!) but got it later with a 1k CL. made one late payment in 2007 and they dropped it to $100. Now it's at $770 which it has been since 2009. I mostly use it for the free coupons and birthday coupon, and at B&BW around Christmas time. I really only shop at VIC Sec when they have a sale. I do notice the associates are nicer to me when they see I have one. Smiley Very Happy

Definitely Closing:

*Firestone - Plan to close this one (bad experiences at the store and limited options with card)

*Rooms To Go - closing after I pay off a mattress

Is five too many? I have 3 other bank CC, of which I plan to close 1 that has no rewards and crappy interest. One of the ones I'm keeping is a joint card with DH. So that would leave me with 7 cards if I kept the ones I'm not sure about. Too much? Smiley Indifferent

IMHO....

*Definitely close the ones you want to close.  

*Since ON Visa is useful for you and reports as a bankcard, why would you want to close it?  Keep it open!

*JCP has a good rewards structure with enough spend.  It might come in handy later.   SD it and buy yourself an ice cream cone at Rite Aid every so often if you need activity

*VS Angel Card...do you spend enough to benefit from the rewards?  If the coupons are reason enough, I really see no harm in leaving it open.  I'm honestly on the fence about that one, especially since I'm closing my own VS card soon.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 17 of 25
sunni_one
Regular Contributor

Is five too many? As long as one is not collecting toy limit store cards just for the sake of having a credit card, then I'd say, no.  If you receive useful rewards or great zero interest promos, they're quite useful.  I have seven store cards (CL's $3200 - $10k) and they each serve a purpose and the side benefit of UTL is nice, as well!  If you're going to shop at a particular store enough to benefit from their rewards, then I'd say they're very useful.  Some have no use for store cards, but it depends on your shopping habits. 

I have the Old Navy Visa as well, which has great rewards.  For example, last weekend, as a cardholder I was able to save 40% off of my purchase. Old Navy regularly has great promotions for cardholders, which will definitely come in handy when you have a family.  Not to mention, it can be used at Banana Republic and The Gap.  That, to me is worth having the card.  

JC Penney may have a terrible rate, but as long as you don't carry a balance, it's a terrific card. Great rewards as mentioned earlier, especially if you shop there regularly or if you have a family (I earned $200 in rewards in 2014).  JCP is also one of my oldest accounts.  I used it constantly during my daughter's childhood, she's grown now, but I still use it and enjoy the rewards.  VS I would probably get rid of, unless their items are really a thing for you.  I agree with the two you plan to close.  

IMHO, store cards can definitely be useful, I like maximizing my rewards if I'm spending the money anyway.  Besides, shoppers have a totally different perspective than non-shoppers.  My DH has 4 cards, Amex PRG, Chase Marriott, FNBO Visa Siggy, Sears and AU on my Home Depot and he has no desire for any other cards.  But then, he also has no desire to shop anymore than he has to, he leaves that to me!   So, I say make your cards work for you and your situation.

Best of luck to you!

BoA Cash Rewards $45k | Chase Freedom $37k | NFCU Platinum $34k | Discover It $30k | Total Rewards $27k | Amex SPG $20k
Hawaiian Air WEMC $20k | Overstock $20k | Citi Simp $18k | Citi DP $18k | Amex Hilton $15k | Chase Hyatt $15k | Best Buy MC $15k
Home Depot $15k | NFCU LOC $15k | Pottery Barn $15k | Wayfair $15k | Target MC $12k | Amazon $10k | Amex BCP $10k | JCP $10k
Macy's $10k | US Bank Cash+ $10k / LOC $8k | Old Navy Visa $5k | Amex Platinum

Fico 08 scores (7/18/17) EX: 771 TU: 770 EQ: 770
Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

probably anything more than 0 is too many. there are very few stora cards that can offer you something a regular rewards CC can't. i would say that the macys, khols and target cards are a good value. all the others suck

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

For me now, at my age, one would be too many. I so rarely do any shopping outside of necessities, a store card would never get used. Unless Goodwill or St Vincent Depaul decided to offer them.

On the other hand, when I was a young buck back in the late 1970's, I had every store card available and spent like a drunken sailor.

You might need one for your funeral (young buck?) Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.