cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many store cards do you have? Are they worth it? More Store Card Questions.**

tag
creditscoreEE
Frequent Contributor

How many store cards do you have? Are they worth it? More Store Card Questions.**

Hi guys,
I am new to this credit card stuff. Currently have one secured. I wanted to know how many store cards do you guys have and are they worth it? Which ones are your favorite and your best recommendations? Do you pay these each in full every month? And how many times do you use them? I seen a show one day were they said store cards are not worth it because of there high interest so in very confused. I would really appreciate all of your suggestions and advice. Thanks.
Samsung mobile
Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: How many store cards do you have? Are they worth it? More Store Card Questions.**

I have one store card, and seven cc's, but keep the store card going with a purchase once every few months/PIF, just to keep "mix of credit."

Anything by GEMB, or Comeinty seems easy/common.

Message 2 of 40
creditscoreEE
Frequent Contributor

Re: How many store cards do you have? Are they worth it? More Store Card Questions.**

Lol cool that's awesome
Samsung mobile
Message 3 of 40
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

The most popular here is the walmart card. Some have store, some have cobranded (runs on discover network, not a real discover), but the main perks are occasional 0% APR coupons, and a free montly TU08 fico score.

Message 4 of 40
halos24
Frequent Contributor

I have several store cards, many don't even use now simply got them at the time because they were easy to get and good cli. The ones I have found useful to me at least because of frequent shopping are: Target I always shop there and great to get the 5%. Gap is wonderful because I shop there for my baby on the way and my toddler rewards and coupons make it worth it. I guess the same I would say for the following with coupons: Macy's, Express, Amazon for the 0% on purchases. Of course APR is high, but if the discounts are worth it and PIF when you can these cards can also grow with you.
MyFico 3B Scores: EQ: 3/22/16 (727), EX (710) TU (714)

Message 5 of 40
creditscoreEE
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the response I also love shopping at walmart and target this is really great to know.
Samsung mobile
Message 6 of 40
missjae
Established Contributor

I have several store cards because they were easy to get.  IMO, they aren't worth it if you want to carry a balance, but the ones I use, I try to PIF after using them.  My favorite is Kohl's because of the sales and 30% off coupons.  Target is another one I like because of the 5% discount.  The JCP card can be used at Rite Aid or CVS, but again, doesn't make sense if you have lower interest options.  Others don't really have any added benefits, and if they do, such as coupons, it is only worth it if you PIF.  Otherwise, interest charges will eat up your savings.

I've only had a problem or two with so many store cards because at one point, I didn't really have any major bankcards.  Then I would get denied for credit because I didn't have enough bankcard tl's.  However, that's changed and it's really no problem.  It helps my utilization and gives me some positive history.  I still have more store cards than bank cards, but I don't see myself ever having as many bank cards as I do store cards.

Message 7 of 40
HiLine
Blogger

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

The most popular here is the walmart card. Some have store, some have cobranded (runs on discover network, not a real discover), but the main perks are occasional 0% APR coupons, and a free montly TU08 fico score.

I have a question for you. Are these features specific to the Discover version of the card or are they offered by the Visa/Mastercard version as well?

Message 8 of 40
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

I have several store cards...mainly through Comenity. I also have a couple I just got through GEMB.

I only regret the ones that won't grow! I won't complain about the fact that Comenity has given me over $4,000 in credit over the past year, though...considering in early 2012 I had none.

My favorite is the J.Crew card since they frequently do extra 30% off sales for the cardholders on top of the usual extra 30% sales. I get good deals there when I can use both of those promos.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 9 of 40
creditscoreEE
Frequent Contributor

That's great that it helps your utilization I will be looking to applying in a couple of months.
Samsung mobile
Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.