Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many times to try Chase recon?

tag
isuspectnargles
Valued Member

How many times to try Chase recon?

I got declined for the Freedom initially due the Amazon card being opened within 30 days, so I waited until the 30 days then called back. I got a super witchy agent this time, I was taken aback at how rude she was! Anyhow, on second review she said she couldn't approve me due to high utilization.

My instinct is to cut my losses and give up and try again in a year or so when the credit card debt is all paid. However, one thread I saw said to call Chase recon "at least" 5 times!!!

So, is that a good idea to call again? And if so, what do you say about the fact that you've called before since they obviously know that  you have?

FICO 646EX 649EQ 630TU | Walmart 677TU | CreditKarma 641TU | Quizzle VantageScore 680 | Current Goal 700

NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $9k | Capital One Plat $2.85k | Citi $2.8k | CareCredit $2.7k | Capital One QS1 $2.6k | Walmart $2k | Chase Amazon Rewards $1k
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

Re: How many times to try Chase recon?

Why would want another card if you know you have credit card debt? I would pay off the debt then apply again when your credit profile looks better. High utilization +recon scream desperation to credit card companies. 

Message 2 of 14
isuspectnargles
Valued Member

@Pat94108 wrote:

Why would want another card if you know you have credit card debt? I would pay off the debt then apply again when your credit profile looks better. High utilization +recon scream desperation to credit card companies. 

My overall utilization is about 32%, not super prime level, but not awful either. She was looking at each card individually and I have two cards that are at 80% util. One has an $720 bal and is two months away from being paid off and the other with a $1900 bal will be paid off in November. 

I applied because I'd like to transition away from my "lesser" cards that have annual fees to better cards, and so far I really, really love Chase. I reconned it on the advice of a few myFICO members because I didn't want to waste the HP, and initially the only reason given was that my Amazon card was too new, so that's why I called back.

It's not a desperate situation in that I need the card so I can spend money on it, but more of an itch to have a better card with Chase. For my new Chase card as well as my Walmart card, I am paying in full each month so it's not adding new debt.

FICO 646EX 649EQ 630TU | Walmart 677TU | CreditKarma 641TU | Quizzle VantageScore 680 | Current Goal 700

NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $9k | Capital One Plat $2.85k | Citi $2.8k | CareCredit $2.7k | Capital One QS1 $2.6k | Walmart $2k | Chase Amazon Rewards $1k
Message 3 of 14
CarnegieS
Regular Contributor

@isuspectnargles wrote:

I got declined for the Freedom initially due the Amazon card being opened within 30 days, so I waited until the 30 days then called back. I got a super witchy agent this time, I was taken aback at how rude she was! Anyhow, on second review she said she couldn't approve me due to high utilization.

My instinct is to cut my losses and give up and try again in a year or so when the credit card debt is all paid. However, one thread I saw said to call Chase recon "at least" 5 times!!!

So, is that a good idea to call again? And if so, what do you say about the fact that you've called before since they obviously know that  you have?

I tired 4 times and had no luck. I would try until you get someone who sounds like they really want to help you out, and if they can’t approve well you are not likely to get the card. I finally got someone like this and even though they couldn’t approve me I was at least satisfied I got someone who tried their best to help!

Every time I did recon they did point out that I already called. With that being said though none of them had a problem taking another look at it for me. It’s their job to relook at it so I say go for it at least twice more. Worst thing they can do to you is tell you no again. Most annoying part is that they will send you a letter in the mail each time they relook at it and deny. 

Amex Delta Gold: $5400| BofA Better Balance: $1500 | Sallie Mae: $1300 | Discover It: $500
719 TU, 685 EQ, 728 Ex.
Entered the garden : 5/8/14
Message 4 of 14
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

I had to throw in the towel after 3 tries.  I used every angle I could (almost 10k in a savings account with Chase, previous car loan with Chase) they wouldnt budge, even when I asked If I could start with a low limit even $500...nope.  I wanted to prove myself to them but they weren't willing so I moved my savings over to Discover and keep the bare minimum with Chase, they wont trust me with their money so Ill return the favor Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 14
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

I find it funny that reps are rude when people don't get what they want and are amazing when they do.

Anyway, IMO you probably should've been reconning during that 30 days. Most of the time after 30 days the creditor will have to pull a new report which defeats the purpose of trying not to waste the HP you take in the first place.

My advice would be to take care of the issues Chase stated in the denial letter and to reapply in ~6mos.
Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 6 of 14
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:
I find it funny that reps are rude when people don't get what they want and are amazing when they do.

Anyway, IMO you probably should've been reconning during that 30 days. Most of the time after 30 days the creditor will have to pull a new report which defeats the purpose of trying not to waste the HP you take in the first place.

My advice would be to take care of the issues Chase stated in the denial letter and to reapply in ~6mos.

For what it's worth, I haven't gotten a rude rep in a long long time. Some of the CSRs I've talked to couldn't help me or didn't really get what I was asking, but lately they've all been helpful and friendly and courteous even without a positive result from the call. 

Part of that is that I know the person on the phone isn't J.P. Morgan himself (luckily) and I try to make it as easy for that person to do their job and hopefully help me get what I need. 

If I get pissed off about something, I write a letter. I put the letter in a folder or envelope, and come back to it a few days later. I usually decide by then that it wasn't worth the pissed-off-ness in the first place and move on or go around the issue. Smiley Happy 

Edited to add: Even the Chase rep I talked to today, who I couldn't really hear because my phone was cutting out, was out-of-her-way polite and patient about it. Her: "Why do you want the CLI?" Me: "$5000 or so." Smiley Happy 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 7 of 14
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:

+1 so true!

Message 8 of 14
user5387
Valued Contributor

Being desperate to get a particular CC tends to distort your overall strategy.

What if you eventually get your wish, and are given a $500 CL?

Sometimes it's better to cut your losses and move on.

Message 9 of 14
isuspectnargles
Valued Member

@j_casteel wrote:

I agree with you - I am a supervisor in a call center at a credit card company. I see our customer satisfaction and agent satisfaction scores and comments on a regular basis. I hear people say, "You can't give me a lower APR so you aren't providing any customer service," all the time.

I am not one of those people. Smiley Wink

She really was very abrupt. She interrupted me several times; for example, after she asked what I needed I said, "I was denied for the Freedom card due to the Amazon card being open less than 30 days, so I was told to call back--" "Excuse me, WHO told you to call back?" "I believe her name was Colleen." "Well I'm sorry but I don't know of any Colleen here." "........................oh, okay... well, it was someone I spoke to at this number." "Well I don't know a Colleen." "............................" "All right, well, anyhow, she told me to call back and I was hoping to have my application looked at again." As if her not knowing who Colleen was had any bearing on the reason for my call. Of course as soon as she pulled my file up she said, "Yes, I see you spoke with someone on May 2." No, really?

Anyway, I sound defensive, lol, no way around that, so I'll stop, but suffice it to say I am satisfied with the logic of the decline reason, and am not upset about their decision. But being relatively new to the myFICO boards I had seen people say that they had luck after trying the line 4-5 times, so just wanted some input.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.