Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many to app for at a time?

tag
Linear23
Valued Member

How many to app for at a time?

Hi everyoneSmiley Happy)
Of course I'm going to the pros for some more advice!

I decided to app for cash back cards. Maybe a Home Depot card as well. How many is the limit to app for and in what time span?

I currently have:
Chase. $2400
Barclay $1900
Cap 1 $1500
Cap 1 $2000
Credit Union $2000.
Plus a few store cards. I have no balance on any cards except for the Best Buy card.1800/$4000

My score is from Barclay 737. I have a bankruptcy discharged in April 2005.

Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: How many to app for at a time?

Having a zero balance on all cards except one, is good. Having 45% utilization on that one card, is bad. You'll want to pay that down first, and let it report.

When exactly did you apply for each of the cards you have? And exactly what cards do you plan to apply for?

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 2 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

No firm rules, just "don't do too many too fast"!   Assume every issuer will see earlier inquiries, and if there are a lot of inqs, where "lot" depends on your credit profile, it may raise red flags.   The advantage of doing them in a short time frame is that all inqs will age of together, but balance that against creditors assuming you are in urgent need of credit for some bad reason.

If you have a target list of cards, people here can suggest the best order and time to wait.  But, being a cynic, I'm not sure how accurate/useful those suggestions are.

Message 3 of 24
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Don't app for multiple cards with the same provider.  For instance, Citi only permits 1 app every week and 2 apps every 60 days.  So if you app for Home Depot, keep that in mind.  Lowe's may be a better option because GE tends to be generous with CLI's.  Did you recently get a Barclay's card?  If so, they probably won't approve you for another card for a year and try to control your upcoming spree.  

Since your BK 8+ years ago, any other negs?  I'd try to get in with Amex if your BK is over 8 years and get that Best Buy util down under 20%  Discover IT is another decent cash back card.  It's really hard to say not knowing all of your scores, AAoA, oldest TL, etc...

Message 4 of 24
k-s
Regular Contributor

One exception here is AMEX. They will allow you to app for more than one card at the same time. I app'ed for my TE and BCE cards on the same evening and was approved for both. And I second the opinion on GE for CLI.
EQ MyFICO: 719 - Discover It TU FICO: 749 - EX 728
Amex PRG: NPSL | Amex Blue Sky: 2k | Amex BCE: 10k | Amex TrueEarnings: 5k | Amex Delta Gold: 2k | Discover It: 4k | SFCU: 13k | Quicksilver: 4k | Venture: 10k | Freedom: 2k | CSP: 7.5k | Amazon Visa: 5k | Citi TYPremier: 6.3k | Best Buy: 4.5k | Macy's Amex: 6k | Nordstrom: 4k | Old Navy Visa: 4k | Target: $1.2k | Angel: 1k
Message 5 of 24
H4LO
Established Contributor

@B335is wrote:

Don't app for multiple cards with the same provider.  For instance, Citi only permits 1 app every week and 2 apps every 60 days.  So if you app for Home Depot, keep that in mind.  Lowe's may be a better option because GE tends to be generous with CLI's.  Did you recently get a Barclay's card?  If so, they probably won't approve you for another card for a year and try to control your upcoming spree.  

Since your BK 8+ years ago, any other negs?  I'd try to get in with Amex if your BK is over 8 years and get that Best Buy util down under 20%  Discover IT is another decent cash back card.  It's really hard to say not knowing all of your scores, AAoA, oldest TL, etc...

I don't know about that. I apped for two Chase cards in the span of 5 days. Approved both cards without any hassles. No having to call in etc. 

Citi is a little more lienent. Which I like. Here is some info from a Citi thread at FT.

2. What are the most current time-restriction rules in applying for all Citi cards?

• Only 1 Citi application of any kind per week (8 days to be safe).
  • No more than 2 Citi applications of any kind in 60 days (65 days to be safe).
  • No more than 1 Citi business application in 90 days (95 to be safe). This does not override the rules above.

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible. Note: In applying the rules above, count all Citi applications, including denials and/or applications for non-AA cards. 

Total CL - 60K // Util. ~1.6%

772 TU - 6/5 ///// 705 EX - 5/5 ///// 664 EQ - 4/29
Message 6 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@H4LO wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Don't app for multiple cards with the same provider.  For instance, Citi only permits 1 app every week and 2 apps every 60 days.  So if you app for Home Depot, keep that in mind. 

Citi is a little more lienent. Which I like. Here is some info from a Citi thread at FT.

2. What are the most current time-restriction rules in applying for all Citi cards?

• No more than 1 Citi business application in 90 days (95 to be safe). This does not override the rules above.

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible. Note: In applying the rules above, count all Citi applications, including denials and/or applications for non-AA cards. 

Do those rules apply to cards like Home Depot?   I thought the "all" Citi cards here just meant Citi-branded cards, including clearly co-branded ones like Citi AA.

Message 7 of 24
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@H4LO wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I don't know about that. I apped for two Chase cards in the span of 5 days. Approved both cards without any hassles. No having to call in etc. 

Since OP mentioned Home Depot, that is why I gave that info (which you confirm) on Citi in my post.  I didn't comment on Chase since there are known rules on multiple apps - works for some, doesn't for others - YMMV.

@longtimelurker wrote:

Do those rules apply to cards like Home Depot?   I thought the "all" Citi cards here just meant Citi-branded cards, including clearly co-branded ones like Citi AA.

I know the rules also apply to HHonors cards.  I haven't personally tried it with Home Depot or Best Buy so can't really comment, but I'd guess the rules all apply since the applications route through Citi.

Message 8 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

HHonors are  listed on https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/compare-credit-cards/detail.do?ID=view-all-credit-cards, so I counted those as "real" Citicards, but maybe that isn't an important difference.

Message 9 of 24
Linear23
Valued Member

All of my cards are 3+ years old except for Best Buy. That one is brand new. I just closed on a home 3 weeks ago so I was very careful to keep inquiries off my report until after closing.

I forgot I also have a discover card with $1000 line. Also $0 balance.

I plan on eventually closing the cap 1 cards to get some cards with a higher limit that will benefit me. All the cap 1 cards are to me is plastic.

I hesitate to app for Amex because they were included in my bankruptcy and I'm sure I'm on some list of theirs.
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.