Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many??

tag
CreditExpressNJ
Established Contributor

How many??

Well i was just sitting and thinking of my credit journey thus far and realized how it changed my banking relationships.. I once had Chase and only Chase... Then i opened a credit union account with Affinity Federal CU then later i closed Chase and opened a DCU was using Affinity and DCU a while now i have transitioned to Affinity and US Bank in which i think i like these two and will settle here as i have credit cards by them both DCU would not approve me for a CC ..... But overall whats your story....
CH7 Filed (3/29/17) - 483 EX 516 EQ 517 TU Discharged (5/31/17) - 559 EX 538 EQ 501 TU Current (1/18/22) - 690 EX 683 EQ 671 TU
Current Cards

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
RemyWinchester
Contributor

I've had so many credit and banking relationships in the...

I've had so many credit and banking relationships in the past that I almost cannot keep track. 

I've had over 25 credit card accounts in the past 10 years. About 20 of those were in the last 3 years. 

If I don't use the card, I close it. That simple. Less is more for me, my scores are solid and I'd rather not have to worry about checking accounts or fradulent activity or them closing accounts for non-use. 

I just closed one of my better cards two days ago (Penfed Plat Cash Rewards)

I have 5 active credit card accounts from 5 different banks:

American Express, Bank of America, USAA, Navy Federal, and Penfed. 

I have three checking accounts: USAA, NFCU, and BoA. 

I keep most of my deposit savings in 1-year CDs and savings account at NFCU. 

I've had relationships with Chase, Citi, Capitol One (I had a capitol one quicksilver card for all of 5 minutes before closing it - they could not have cared less!), Fifth Third Bank, and I'm sure about 15 other cards spread amongst my current lineup. 

I'm very happy with my current set-up, and have no plans at any new credit unless a new offer/churn comes along that is too good to pass up. 

Message 2 of 17
CreditExpressNJ
Established Contributor

Re: How many??

@remy thats were im trying to get i want to get me preferred list then everythinng else i think i will close because its to hard for em to plan to use all of them my preferred list is BCP, Us bank cash+, salliemae mc, discover it, and my credit union cc 5 will be my max of revolvers besides walmart jusz for the fico and ges financing situations
CH7 Filed (3/29/17) - 483 EX 516 EQ 517 TU Discharged (5/31/17) - 559 EX 538 EQ 501 TU Current (1/18/22) - 690 EX 683 EQ 671 TU
Current Cards

Message 3 of 17
CreditExpressNJ
Established Contributor

But how do u manage 3 bank accounts i use direct deposit for checks and have. 1 job so unless u have two jobs isnt 3 bank accts hard to manage becuz my job only allows me to spliy my DD between 2 banks
Current Cards

Message 4 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Lets see if I can recap my banking/mortgage/credit card relationships.

BoA was my first checking account and I had several cc's with them in the 80's to early 90's.
First Interstate Bank which was sold to Wells Fargo during the mid 90's
First mortgage was with Great Western Bank which was bought out by WAMU- checking, savings and credit cards 86-2002
Citibank banking and credit card 2001-2005
DCU banking, auto, cc 2005-present
NFCU banking, cc 2008- present
Alliant CU banking only 2012- thinking about their cc
Chase auto loan 2012-13, banking cc 2013 present

Think that's most of the banking/ cc relationships

Edit: realized I didn't include just cc's. really too long to list. Parents including me on several of their cards when I was still in high school and college. History with Amex goes back to '85. List of cc's include Discover, Freedom, Explorer, Mutual of Omaha, several GE Cards, Nordstrom, Macy's to name a few.
Message 5 of 17
CreditExpressNJ
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Lets see if I can recap my banking/mortgage/credit card relationships.

BoA was my first checking account and I had several cc's with them in the 80's to early 90's.
First Interstate Bank which was sold to Wells Fargo during the mid 90's
First mortgage was with Great Western Bank which was bought out by WAMU- checking, savings and credit cards 86-2002
Citibank banking and credit card 2001-2005
DCU banking, auto, cc 2005-present
NFCU banking, cc 2008- present
Alliant CU banking only 2012- thinking about their cc
Chase auto loan 2012-13, banking cc 2013 present

Think that's most of the banking/ cc relationships

how do you manage all the banking accounts like maybe its just me doing it wrong but my Salaried job only gives me 2 options to have my pay DD into 2 different accts how do you manage to keep up with the rest..

Current Cards

Message 6 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

It's not difficult plus some of those accounts are joint with my DH. I can transfer funds to my 'fun' accounts and since I don't pay for the accounts I don't have to worry about fees, dd requirements etc.
Message 7 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
It's not difficult plus some of those accounts are joint with my DH. I can transfer funds to my 'fun' accounts and since I don't pay for the accounts I don't have to worry about fees, dd requirements etc.

+1.  You just dd into one (or split if you like) and transfer money from there into other accounts using ACH usually.  It's not an issue at all.

Message 8 of 17
RemyWinchester
Contributor

Shaun,

I use one checking account for most of my everday things (I pay rent and have my direct deposit go to this account.  I use this account to pay my credit cards. It's with Navy)

I use the second (with USAA) for it's free ATMs so if I ever need some spending money I use this debit card account

I use my third checking account (BoA) only for the bonus with my BoA Credit card (10% when redeeming cash back).  It's a free echecking account, I've never used the card.

I figure if I ever need to go into a bank somewhere and there is not a NFCU around than I could go into a BoA or BoA ATM but the need has never came up.  

Basically it's two checking accounts, with the BoA just kind of sitting there idly. And since my checking accounts are at the same place as my credit cards it's no extra hoops to keep an eye on them. 

Message 9 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I forgot about USAA! Had them when you had to mail in the checks for deposit! Ugh - closed them and went to NFCU. Of course technology happened and deposits could be made at UPS Stores, apps etc.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.