cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much do existing CLs influence new CL?

tag
xsvspd
Regular Contributor

Re: How much do existing CLs influence new CL?

I can tell you the belief that you need an existing 5k plus CL to get a CSP is wrong. Just this Tuesday, I app'd and got the Freedom for 6k, then less than 5 minutes later app'd and got the CSP for 11.6k. My highest CL the day I app'd was 2k. My score was around 720, util was ~1%, income is 58k. ~4 inq per CR. Also in the same app spree, I got Amex Blue Everyday - 2k, Discover - 10k, and Sallie Mae - 4.6k. 

Hover over card to see limits

Starting score 3/2013 - 585. Score as of 5/2014 - 725.
Message 11 of 12
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Re: How much do existing CLs influence new CL?

Hey -NewGuy-

I'm of a mind that current CLs do in fact affect or influence the out come of an app.  At least for some lenders.  Having spoken to a Barclays analyst, I was specifically told that they look at current limits to determine a starting limit when an account is being manually reviewed for approval.   It was an interesting conversation.  I have been reading these forums for some time now and I've noted that Discover likes to see not "so much" available credit to get a big starting limit with them as a rule.  Having recently just dealt with CapOne with the Orchard conversion... the EO employee told me that the analyst was working to match my current limits to keep me as a valued customer.  At the time my limit with my Orchard card was $1250.00.   They bumped me to $15K then again up to 20K.  I do believe that higher limits begits higher limits. At least that is my experience.  Please note again, that it is in my opinion lender specific.  The CC companies that seem in my opinion to do this are:  CapOne, Chase, Barclays and to an extent Amex.  The CC companies that seem to not care:  GE, Discover and again Amex.   Amex like others has a internal scoring system and they seem to limit CLs to 40% or 50% of income combined along with credit profile requirements and FICO.  There are always exceptions to this rule of course.  One more note... it seems to me that with Chase, if instant approved... the limits seem to match up with your higher limits as a general rule (with the CSP usually starting with a higher limit if it's the 2nd card apped with them) from what I have read on here and my experience.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.