cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much do you get approved at American Eagle?

tag
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

Re: How much do you get approved at American Eagle?

Oh well I remember getting those baby-step limits, but it opened doors to special store discounts and greater rewards.  Later, graduated to their dual-card Visa carrying even more perks.  Good info Ty101 -- that will give some encouragement to the OP.

Message 11 of 27
Smug
Established Contributor

You can buy half the store for 150.00 there.lol
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 12 of 27
Ron1
Super Contributor

I've had AE Card since 1998 and I got CLI for first couple of years. Now I have been stuck at $1850 for over 10 years. I called to ask for Visa upgrade and they told me I had to re-apply.

Ron.

Message 13 of 27
wills77
Established Member

@Red1Blue wrote:

@wills77 wrote:

I was approved in Dec. 10 for the same amount!

Did you apply online or in store?

Applied online....

Starting Score: 576
Current Score: 622
Goal Score: 650

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 27
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

If you're talking about the store card, I was approved for $620 and pretty bummed, then the girl behind the register made me feel better because she seemed very impressed and said they rarely see limits that high for the non-Visa. 

I asked specifically not to apply for the Visa, because I don't need another visa, and I had no store cards at the time.  Every time I've tried to app for a store card, I wind up getting the Visa or MC equivalent of the card, and it gets a little frustrating because I always heard on here that store cards improve your "credit mix."  Anyway, hope that helps answer your question.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Message 15 of 27
cutemarty1
Regular Contributor

Was approved 124 CL 2009.  It offered me a CLI --- 1dollar. Would you believe? LOL.  I accepted it anyway. New CL --- 125 Smiley Happy

My TL : Discover 45k / Venture 39k / BCE AMEX 33k / BoA123 Sig 24k / WF propel 17k/ Home Depot 16.5 K / Barclays Arrival WEMC 15k / Citi World WEMC 16.5k / CU Visa 11k/ Nordstrom Visa 20K / penfed rewards visa 20k / Citi AA 16.5k / spark business 15k/ Chase ink business 15k/ delta Amex platinum 14k/ boa rewards 7k /Macy Store 5.3K / Best buy 2.4K / BBRZ Gold 1.4K / PNC 20k / AppleCard 40k/ citi premier 12.7k / chase Amazon 7k
Message 16 of 27
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

@cutemarty1 wrote:

Was approved 124 CL 2009.  It offered me a CLI --- 1dollar. Would you believe? LOL.  I accepted it anyway. New CL --- 125 Smiley Happy

Haha!  No clue why you got approved for 124 in the first place, but my guess would be they have CL thresholds, and that threshold was 125, so that's what CLI you were offered.  Weird.  Hopefully the next one will be more substantial.

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thrasher865 wrote:

If you're talking about the store card, I was approved for $620 and pretty bummed, then the girl behind the register made me feel better because she seemed very impressed and said they rarely see limits that high for the non-Visa. 

I asked specifically not to apply for the Visa, because I don't need another visa, and I had no store cards at the time.  Every time I've tried to app for a store card, I wind up getting the Visa or MC equivalent of the card, and it gets a little frustrating because I always heard on here that store cards improve your "credit mix."  Nah.  Credit Mix refers to your mix of revolving and installment loans.  Anyway, hope that helps answer your question.

Not to hijack the OP - but JIC you're still wondering about "Store" or "Merchant" cards or how important it is to have one  -

Although much of FICO scoring is under wraps, the FICO codes are published. 

They want you to have an open revolving account with a bank or national credit card co.  (That’s code #3 – you will get dinged if you don’t).

They want you to have activity on that bank or national account (Code #15 – you will get dinged if you don’t)

They want you to have a revolving account (That’s code 16 – you will get dinged if you don’t). 

By having a bank card, you hit two birds with one stone (#3 and #16).  By using it, you meet the requirements of #15.  After one bank card is in place, you don’t have to worry about whether a card is a store or bank card.  FICO does not ding you for not having a store (merchant) card.

That being said, there are some advantages to store cards.  For rebuilders, they tend to be easier to be approved for, may have higher CL’s than rebuilder bank cards, and tend to be long-lived so they add to your AAofA over time.  Some store cards offer customer perks.  So bank cards and store cards both have a niche.  Bank cards definitely help your FICO score in and of themselves.  Store cards can help with higher rebuilding CL’s, long-term AAofA and cardholder perks.  You can (and some may argue should) get to the 800’s without a single store card in sight.  DH was at 802 with one ($500CL) bank card only.

I’m a rebuilder – so I’m quite fond of my store cards.  But I did not receive a FICO score increase--in fact I lost five points with my first store card.  It’s a Macy’s and it serves my needs well – but not because of FICO scoring practices. 

Now back to the OP's question on American Eagle opening CL's:  Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 27
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

One more, not to get too far off the OP, but I kinda get it, BeamMeUp.  It's almost like doing your taxes (subtract line 43 from line 23 and add 15 and 32)  hahaha.  But, my question is... where does Dual cards fall in these requirements, under Banks since they're backed by banks?  If so, isn't all store cards?  It's no prob if no one have the answer to this -- no worries. Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 27
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

beammeup, are you fairly confident in that?  I had always heard store cards were important to "improve your mix" on here.  Does this mean I couldve gotten the VISA?  Smiley Sad  I told the CSR that I wanted the store card, but I'm sure the VISA would've come with a much higher limit.  Too late now, I don't think they upgrade, and its not worth an inquiry.

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.