cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much do you spend on CC annual fees? (total)

tag
garagebandking
Regular Contributor

Re: How much do you spend on CC annual fees? (total)

Let's see, this year, I spent:

$450 amex platinum (got in before the rate hike)

$450 for Ritz

$49 for NFCU Flagship

~$950 total

Not including sign-up bonuses, I've cleared about $1300 in value. So not a ton. The sign-up bonus on Amex helped motivate me to snag it.

I likely won't keep the Amex Platinum past the first year. The Flagship is worth it considering I've gotten around $300 back using it (I recently started using the card instead of paying $49 for some util padding). The Ritz won't leave because I love the card itself and I appreciate the rewards/status (my new job primarily uses Marriotts when traveling). 

Message 51 of 80
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Moving one's investment accounts to Merrill just to get better credit card rewards at BoA would be an example of the tail wagging the dog.  Please invest your money where you can get the best total return on your portfolio.  If you've decided upon Merrill, then enjoy the credit card rewards at BoA.  Otherwise ignore this temptation.  The credit card rewards will likely turn out to be small potatoes next to investment returns.

It is just hard to figure out what points you trying to make.  Tell me a single broker who can offer better service than at Merrill Lynch (Edge)??  Not only you get better servies and rates, you can see all your credit cards, investments and bank accounts all together.  And you enjoy the premium services you deserve....  Even a dog would be delighted....

Message 52 of 80
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Moving one's investment accounts to Merrill just to get better credit card rewards at BoA would be an example of the tail wagging the dog.  Please invest your money where you can get the best total return on your portfolio.  If you've decided upon Merrill, then enjoy the credit card rewards at BoA.  Otherwise ignore this temptation.  The credit card rewards will likely turn out to be small potatoes next to investment returns.

It is just hard to figure out what points you trying to make.  Tell me a single broker who can offer better service than at Merrill Lynch (Edge)??  Not only you get better servies and rates, you can see all your credit cards, investments and bank accounts all together.  And you enjoy the premium services you deserve....  Even a dog would be delighted....

Edge used to get horrid reviews for execution, website bugs, and incorrectly filled orders. That said, I've not personally had an account, I've read it's improved...a bit...and they do have some good promos.

I move assets around occasionally to chase promotions (as I think we've discussed before?). Fidelity and Schwab are my favorites.

Edge offers free trades for some customers, but I don't think the Edge execution would be of much interest to people who trade often enough that they could use most of them.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 53 of 80
iced
Valued Contributor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Subjective. Some people have brokers who they very much enjoy working with, so to categorically say ML is going to be as good or better is merely opinion. I know people who have moved their money from one bank to another solely because the broker they worked with moved from one bank to another. The other points you make are also subjective. They may well matter to some people, but others may only care about maximizing returns in which case they would rather have the returns than the consolidation. Premium services are also subjective. I like free tickets to Sox games. Does ML offer that?

To answer your question directly, I think Fidelity is a great investment brokerage to work with. I'm not going to move all my assets over to a bank I barely know on the promise of a slightly better reward rate for cards I don't even use. It's also my opinion, and is just as subjective.

Message 54 of 80
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

I try not to side-track this thread.  But some comments are just plainly wrong.

I'm a pro commodity futures trader.  Executions are clearly important.   I've had my personal investment accounts at E*Trade, Fidelity, Vanguard and a couple more.  For most of the casual investors (fewer than 100 trades a month), trade executions do not make any difference among the brokers.  When I had most of my $$$ at Fidelity, I had to pay comissions on each trade.  And Fidelity were giving away like 50k miles to woo new $$$.  It made me sick of them.  So I moved all of my $$$ from Fidelity to Merill Lynch.  I've never looked back.  I just wish Merrill give some perks, like the perks we receive from AmEx Platinum card.....  

Message 55 of 80
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

I try not to side-track this thread.  But some comments are just plainly wrong.

I'm a pro commodity futures trader.  Executions are clearly important.   I've had my personal investment accounts at E*Trade, Fidelity, Vanguard and a couple more.  For most of the casual investors (fewer than 100 trades a month), trade executions do not make any difference among the brokers.  When I had most of my $$$ at Fidelity, I had to pay comissions on each trade.  And Fidelity were giving away like 50k miles to woo new $$$.  It made me sick of them.  So I moved all of my $$$ from Fidelity to Merill Lynch.  I've never looked back.  I just wish Merrill give some perks, like the perks we receive from AmEx Platinum card.....  

With my Schwab account I effectively get a reduced AF on my Platinum. That's sort of like a few free trades each year.

I'm actually a little scared of leaving Fidelity, on the freak chance some inattentive clerk liquidates some highly appreciated shares instead of transferring them.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 56 of 80
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

I felt so happy to leave Fidelity, Schwab & E*Trade.  Now I do not pay anything to trade.  And I get 1.75x with BA Cash Reward, Travel Rewards and Premium Reward cards.  

I can use the $$ saving to pay for the credit card AFs...

Message 57 of 80
Chickenpotpie
Frequent Contributor

0.00  I have no need for an annual fee card at this time.  if I were to find a need I'll likely look at amex for it.

Message 58 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

$25 Amex Zync. And I think that's too much . But I'll keeping it since they don't offer it anymore and it's a pretty nice looking card. It has some nice offers sometimes that I redeem from time to time.

Message 59 of 80
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

$75.00 on Amex BCP, but next May will be $95.00 that's enough for me. Still feel like my 6% is worth it....
Seeing lots of varying amounts would be nice to know which cards the fees are on also...
Nice data gathering pt. on something some folks don't think about......
If this helps someone great......

Message 60 of 80
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.