cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much do you spend on CC annual fees? (total)

tag
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: How much do you spend on CC annual fees? (total)

@Anonymous wrote:

Unrelated to this we have an employee who will not spend $100 on a professional designation plus the $25/monthly association membership fee even though this will raise her pay over $5,000 per year. She simply wont spend the money.  

Just to reiterate what's been said already in this thread but I simply cannot understand people like this.

Message 71 of 80
arkane
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@AndySoCal wrote:

Nothing at all. Any card that decides to charge me an annual fee will be closed in a heart beat.

Regardless of the value proposition?

Sorry, I still don't get why people think that way!

I I have seen this also and fail to understand.  We got back from Amex BCP $360  from the grocery part alone. Plus atleast $60 on gas.  And finally $100 plus on Amex offers. The Amex offers alone paid the $95 fee.  If we had just used the Amex  blue cash regular we would have left over $200 on the table. The offers for Amex plain on our account are not always the same on BCP so some of that would have been  left also 

Unrelated to this we have an employee who will not spend $100 on a professional designation plus the $25/monthly association membership fee even though this will raise her pay over $5,000 per year. She simply wont spend the money.  

astonished-face_1f632

Ok that's taking it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too far. Although does the designation require some sort of proficiency exam? Part of me wonders if it's to do with that.

As far as AF goes, I think this is truly a YMMV situation. If you get net positive value out of an AF card, by all means keep the card and keep using it. For my spending habits, AF cards would net me a positive ROI only in the first year or two purely because of the signup bonus. So unless my lifestyle changes significantly, I don't foresee signing up for an AF card, or keeping one past the second year.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 72 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

astonished-face_1f632

Ok that's taking it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too far. Although does the designation require some sort of proficiency exam? Part of me wonders if it's to do with that.

The test is easy. She can already do the work. DW puts on a  program each year at trade show on it and employee actually helps DW with it. 

Message 73 of 80
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

astonished-face_1f632

The test is easy. She can already do the work. DW puts on a  program each year at trade show on it and employee actually helps DW with it. 

scratches head.  Sure you want to keep said employee? Smiley Happy.. As they might not be as smart as you think lol with simple math lol Smiley Happy.. jk, kinda.

Message 74 of 80
arkane
Established Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

astonished-face_1f632

scratches head.  Sure you want to keep said employee? Smiley Happy.. As they might not be as smart as you think lol with simple math lol Smiley Happy.. jk, kinda.

Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

Plot twist: said employee is secretly thinking of jumping ship, and said designation would disqualify her for positions she's considering at other companies lol

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 75 of 80
elim
Senior Contributor

About $1100. Will probably keep all these AF cards for a couple more years unless there are some "new and improved" versions out.

Message 76 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@arkane wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

astonished-face_1f632

Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

Plot twist: said employee is secretly thinking of jumping ship, and said designation would disqualify her for positions she's considering at other companies lol

She has a terrible one sided contract complete with a non compete clause and liquidated damages.  It would break her and any one who tried to hire her. Our office has a large foot print that is very enforeceable.  I sued and collected $100K plus an injunction  several years ago when who tried this.  Their new employer got stuck with a huge legal bill running 6 figures .  

Message 77 of 80
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I only have three cards that have an AF, and by next fall it will be down to two.  Smiley Happy

• Amex BCP - this one is a no-brainer for me; the 6% cash back on groceries alone makes it worth the AF.  Add in the Amex Offers (which may or may not be offered if I had the BCE) and I'm a happy camper.

• Amex PRG - this one I consider a 'break even'.  I use the $100 airline credit annually to offset part of the AF, and the no-fee AU card has value for me as well.  By the time I figure in the savings from Amex Offers not given to my other two cards I basically break even, and that's before I consider the value of any MR points earned during the year (which I admit aren't too valuable to me at this time).  My AU likes the card, though, so it's a keeper.

• Chase IHG - I applied for this in September 2016 basically to 'test the waters' to see if I was on Chase's blacklist due to an old Providian/Wamu account... it was approved for $9k.  I earned my first free night voucher on my account anniversary a few months ago, but with no plans to use it I'll probably change this card to the no-AF version before the next AF hits and let it hang around to keep my 80K IHG points warm.  In the coming months I'll also likely move $7k of the credit line to my $500 Chase Amazon Prime Visa, which I actually do use.

Edited to add:  I totally forgot about my Venture WEMC, but that one doesn't count anyway since in the next week or two it will be PC'ed to a no-AF Quicksilver WEMC.  (Of course I'll try to get them to change it to a Savor, but I don't expect them to be able/willing to do it.)

Message 78 of 80
negg
Frequent Contributor

$650 CSR, Marriott and AMEX delta, buts it's more like $350 once you factor in CSR $300 travel voucher. 

CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 79 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

$158

jetBlue Plus at $99

Venture at $59

Message 80 of 80
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.