Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much do you value a HP?

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: How much do you value a HP?

thread back to life from 2014 but here my answer. I honestly do not care about HPs... the only thing I look at is new accounts. That is what matters to me so if a lender wants to double pull or triple pull ..whatever... What I will limit for me is the new accounts Smiley Happy

Message 31 of 52
kdm31091
Super Contributor

While on one hand, I don't think a HP is that big of a deal in terms of I would not overly stress about it,  I do think one has to be careful with them. Each remains for 2 years, and on manual review, sometimes having a ton is obviously detrimental.

As far as HP for CLI, I find that if you really want the increase, sometimes it's your only option. Some lenders are really only HP for CLI period, like Chase or often Barclay's. Personally, I feel sticking with the lenders that offer SP is usually better. You can obviously still have a Chase card or Barclay card, but having a card from someone like Discover, Amex or even Capital One, which will grow without HP, is often beneficial.

Message 32 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard pulls don't bother me. If I need a card and it really benefits me in the long run then I'll app. I'm in the garden because I don't need anything and I don't need to app for the next fad. However if I really want something I'm not going to make a sympathy thread about it "leaving the garden for a hard pull." It's just a credit card.
Message 33 of 52
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hard pulls don't bother me. If I need a card and it really benefits me in the long run then I'll app. I'm in the garden because I don't need anything and I don't need to app for the next fad. However if I really want something I'm not going to make a sympathy thread about it "leaving the garden for a hard pull." It's just a credit card.

Exactly...some can take it a tad bit too serious with the "gardening" thing. Then the "I fell out of the garden" threads....it can be a bit much sometimes, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Message 34 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would definitely "leave" the garden for a deal like the Barclays US airways but never app for something like the BB compass or whatever people were apping for.
Message 35 of 52
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

I don't worry about them unless applying for a mortgage or auto loan.  They have a relatively small impact for my profile.  That doesn't mean that I just go out and apply for everything or request CLI's all the time though.  I just don't obsess over each and every HP.  I don't have recent scores but there's maybe a 10 point difference between one CRA with 3 HP's and one with 13 for me.

Those with thin and poor profiles can see a bigger impact from HP's and have a smaller number of them cited as a reason for denial so it's understandable that concern over HP's varies from person to person.

Message 36 of 52
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

$300+ sign up bonus I would definitely sacrifice a HP. $200 I'll think about it.
Actually got a $200 bonus after $300 spend offer from TD Bank but got too lazy and forgot to app. I don't need anymore credit.
AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 37 of 52
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

I don't worry about them unless applying for a mortgage or auto loan.  They have a relatively small impact for my profile.  That doesn't mean that I just go out and apply for everything or request CLI's all the time though.  I just don't obsess over each and every HP.  I don't have recent scores but there's maybe a 10 point difference between one CRA with 3 HP's and one with 13 for me.

Those with thin and poor profiles can see a bigger impact from HP's and have a smaller number of them cited as a reason for denial so it's understandable that concern over HP's varies from person to person.

Agreed.

However, since my AAoA is still less than 2 years and oldest card less than 3 years, I'm possibly in the "thin" group. 

Therefore, right now, my HP is worth either (a) big loan like auto or (b) $200 hard cash sign-up (for less than $1000 spend) or (c) $400 worth of cash / points etc. sign-up (for more than $1000 spend) or (d) a fantastic cashback card like 5% on gas+groceries+dining (I'll agree to a combined $10k annual cap). 

You get the idea. That said, I'm not a churner. I'd like to keep the card for at least one AF cycle; don't want to make banks angry with thinnish profile + churning at the same time.

I feel like I have a decent set of cards that suit my needs and I can't justify applying for some of the other cards that people here might value highly for whatever reason. So, unless something wonderful comes out, I'm not using my HP. 

I only used an HP for a CLI twice. With Discover, it was worth it; took my card across the initial sub-$1k hurdle and has been on SP CLI mode ever since, and doing well so far. With UFCU, it was shot down; never used an HP for CLI again. Not worth it, I've got enough limits for my needs as of now.

Message 38 of 52
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

I don't have many HPs, and will always ask/hope for a SP, but a HP is not going to wreck my credit and only affects scoring for 1 year.   If I wanted a new tradeline or CLI, I would definitely be willing to take a HP, and I certainly wouldn't let the fact that a HP is going to hit one of my reports stop me.  I might weigh the benefits of the new tradeline though... if its not something that is going to get good use, there is little point in adding it.

My order of preference:

Take a HP for a great sign up bonus. 

Take a SP for CLI when possible

Take a HP for CLI if necessary but avoid if possible.

It's not so much that a HP will impact scoring.  The effect on scoring can diminish after one year, HOWEVER, the existence of a HP on a credit report, can lead to denial under "too many recent inquiries." 

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 39 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me, it depends on the situation and my future plans. This year, I have applied for and been approved for 4 new credit cards (Amex ED, BCE, Chase Marriott Rewards & BoA CR). So whiie the 4 new inquiries hurt slightly, in the long run it will be better. Adding these 4 new cards dropped my utilization to around 5%. I am not planning on making any huge perchases that these inquiries will effect (mortgage or car) as I already have a mortgage and purchased my car 2 years ago.  If I was planning on purchaing a new house, I would not have done the app spree.

Message 40 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.