cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much does being an authorized user affect credit?

tag
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: How much does being an authorized user affect credit?

@improvingmycredit wrote:

I started actively rebuilding in and around 04/2011.  My score was 580 when I started reading these forums and in 07/2011, I started posting and joined the FICO Fitness Challenge with a score of EQ 642. It wasn't easy and I was diligent just as you have been.  You should be very proud of yourself!  Keep onward and upward!  Thanks for your participation and knowledge.  Everyone's opinion counts and is just as important as the next!  Please don't forget to share your experiences and help the next . Smiley Happy

Edit:  corrected figures. Sry

Thanks... learned a lot with the entire experience and I am better for it.

Still not where I want to be with my credit.. but I'm getting there fast.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 11 of 22
TwistedAngel
New Contributor

I admit that I am a bit biased on the issue, but I don't agree that au accounts shouldn't count, at least for people who have no credit history at all.

Credit isn't just about loans anymore. It affects the prices people pay for insurance, whether or not they can rent an apartment, and in some cases, even their odds of getting a job.

Today, even the good secured cards (Citi, BOA) require a decent score, so it can be daunting for someone who is just starting out. The credit game is already stacked against the consumer, and I don't see why it is a bad thing to give someone a leg up when they are just starting out.

............11/10.......................03/13..........................11/14..........................03/15..........................03/15............
Message 12 of 22
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Sure, it sounds good to give those starting out a helping hand but the other side of the coin is that relying on another's credit means that the person's own credit isn't being accurately represented.  The matter can't be considered solely from the perspective of the consumer.

Message 13 of 22
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

Sure, it sounds good to give those starting out a helping hand but the other side of the coin is that relying on another's credit means that the person's own credit isn't being accurately represented.  The matter can't be considered solely from the perspective of the consumer.

Every situation is different. However, I usually let my daughter carry one of the cards she is an AU on (depending on which card I am wanting to spend on).  She uses the cards for what she is supposed to and nothing more. For some of her purchases she pays me what the charge was to make a CC payment. As her parent, for other charges she makes, I cover the cost.  How is this not accurately representing her as a CC user? Being responsible and not making unnessary charges and paying for her portion of the payments? To me, this is what being an AU is intended for. To watch and guide CC usage until one is ready to fly solo. 

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 14 of 22
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@TwistedAngel wrote:
I admit that I am a bit biased on the issue, but I don't agree that au accounts shouldn't count, at least for people who have no credit history at all.

Credit isn't just about loans anymore. It affects the prices people pay for insurance, whether or not they can rent an apartment, and in some cases, even their odds of getting a job.

Today, even the good secured cards (Citi, BOA) require a decent score, so it can be daunting for someone who is just starting out. The credit game is already stacked against the consumer, and I don't see why it is a bad thing to give someone a leg up when they are just starting out.

So Mom and Dad pay their bills for 40 years with no lates.... Then add Johnny as an AU on his 18th birthday.

How exactly is their 40 years of credit history any indication of the creditworthiness of Johnny?

No indicator at all... Which is why I am baffled as to why lenders even look at AU accounts.  This topic reminded me of a thread I read the other day... A guy with a maxxed out low limit card and was an AU on some $3500 card with a $0 balance.  He's like "my util is 10% but I'm getting declined!?!?!?"....  Yeah but your personal util is maxxed out?

@BluePoodle wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

Every situation is different. However, I usually let my daughter carry one of the cards she is an AU on (depending on which card I am wanting to spend on).  She uses the cards for what she is supposed to and nothing more. For some of her purchases she pays me what the charge was to make a CC payment. As her parent, for other charges she makes, I cover the cost.  How is this not accurately representing her as a CC user? Being responsible and not making unnessary charges and paying for her portion of the payments? To me, this is what being an AU is intended for. To watch and guide CC usage until one is ready to fly solo. 

The banks see your account on her CR.  They don't know what's she's doing or if she's paying you.  It's a misrepresentation to say the least... If she didn't pay you you'd pay it anyway.

I hear FICO 08 doesn't put as much weight on AU accounts though... 

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 15 of 22
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

That may be so, but if the argument is that the banks are not some how getting treated fairly because of a mid representation of credit reports... I don't think that's a good argument at all.  Let's face it, the banks know perfectly well what they were doing when they started reporting AUs to begin with.  If anything, it increases their pool of qualified persons coming into the market place by giving them a one up on history with a perspective candidate.  Don't be deceived in thinking that they don't know what they are doing.  The system absolutely is in favor of the lenders not the consumer.  Adding someone as a AU to jump start was exactly the idea when the banks started reporting them from the beginning.  The easiest fix for the banks if they didn't want this information affecting credit reports is to stop reporting AUs.  At least that's my take on it.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 16 of 22
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

That may be so, but if the argument is that the banks are not some how getting treated fairly because of a mid representation of credit reports... I don't think that's a good argument at all.  Let's face it, the banks know perfectly well what they were doing when they started reporting AUs to begin with.  If anything, it increases their pool of qualified persons coming into the market place by giving them a one up on history with a perspective candidate.  Don't be deceived in thinking that they don't know what they are doing.  The system absolutely is in favor of the lenders not the consumer.  Adding someone as a AU to jump start was exactly the idea when the banks started reporting them from the beginning.  The easiest fix for the banks if they didn't want this information affecting credit reports is to stop reporting AUs.  At least that's my take on it.

Sounds reasonable to me, you are most likely correct that it is in the self interest of the banks to report AUs to begin with.

Message 17 of 22
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

AU accounts may or may not do much overall for an individual credit profile.  However, increasing AAoA is good enough for me.  

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 18 of 22
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@Fico2Go wrote:

AU accounts may or may not do much overall for an individual credit profile.  However, increasing AAoA is good enough for me.  

Hey Fico2go!

I think this is the biggest help of being a AU really besides possibly utility.  

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 19 of 22
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@Fico2Go wrote:

Hey Fico2go!

I think this is the biggest help of being a AU really besides possibly utility.  

Sure, a bigger question might be will the AAoA change when the AU account is cancelled or when you are removed as AU at a later date?

I know that at least for DISCOVER, once reported as AU the account stays on your CR even after removal. 

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.