Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much does "highest balance" matter?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

How much does "highest balance" matter?

Our credit reports list Largest Past Balance or Highest Balance. How much does that matter when it comes to CLIs and/or being approved for new credit? Will an account with a $10K limit be more likely to get a better CLI if it's had a high balance of $7500. vs one that has only had a high balance of $1000?  The same goes for new a new credit card. Would a person be more likely to have a higher starting credit line if they show a lot of usage in the past?

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How much does "highest balance" matter?

@masscredit wrote:

Our credit reports list Largest Past Balance or Highest Balance. How much does that matter when it comes to CLIs and/or being approved for new credit? Will an account with a $10K limit be more likely to get a better CLI if it's had a high balance of $7500. vs one that has only had a high balance of $1000?  The same goes for new a new credit card. Would a person be more likely to have a higher starting credit line if they show a lot of usage in the past?

Lender dependent.  All other things being equal, yes higher usage results in better limits; however, with payments being reported now, high balance is likely less important from an UW perspective.

        
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that having a high balance can show ones ability to handle and pay down large balances. I would think an UW could view that in a positive way as well.
Message 3 of 8
damnedanddetermined
Established Contributor

well, according to Barclay's....I was denied a MC because "to many accounts with low credit limits"....but I have a US Bank Visa and  just got a 3800 Potterybarn?!!? Sometimes, I just scratch my head?!!?

Message 4 of 8
TheConductor
Established Contributor

@damnedanddetermined wrote:

well, according to Barclay's....I was denied a MC because "to many accounts with low credit limits"....but I have a US Bank Visa and  just got a 3800 Potterybarn?!!? Sometimes, I just scratch my head?!!?

There comes a point in your credit journey where from the lender's perspective "low limits" means "anything under $5000".  I bumped against that for a little while, too.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 5 of 8
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Barclay's offered a cli on my 10k card, have not had a balance over 1.5k. I declined, since I want other cards with them, and 10k is enough for moi (if not too much).
Signature needs updating
Message 6 of 8
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@damnedanddetermined wrote:

It could happen if you apply for a credit card that has minimum SL that you won't get quulified for.

Message 7 of 8
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Something that I noticed while viewing my reports is one of my accounts had a higher high balance than I remember. Then I realized I used that card for a large purchase and ended up returning the item. It still showed the balance including that. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.