cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much does your credit line depend on your Income vs History?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much does your credit line depend on your Income vs History?

When I see some of you guys and gals with 6 figures worth of credit on here it makes me wonder if you're all neurosurgeons, lawyers and CEO's or if it's more dependent on your history and score more than your actual income -- Can anyone (who has great credit history) obtain this  much credit or are all of you extremely high paid individuals?

Just curious if you're all highly successful or just managed your credit like a boss, I'd assume a combo of the two.

I've never been asked to verify income, seems like you can type in any number you want.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How much does your credit line depend on your Income vs History?

It has a lot to do with it. I know for a fact my high income has been looked at favorably by creditors that wouldn't have extended me credit otherwise. Over the past 6 months, I've taken my FICO score from 620 to 715 or so and it's allowed me to grow my TL's from $15K total to over $100K total, getting closer to 1:1 with my income.

I suspect my new TL's will naturally grow (auto CLI and CLI requests) to approximately 1.5-2x my income in the next 12-18 months.

For those who report $20K-50K income on apps and still receive 5 digit trade lines, I don't know how they do it. I app'd for my first Amex card a few months ago, and they granted me $500 (yes, not missing a zero) CL with over $130K reported income. Some creditors just don't care about your income and are turned off by certain things in your credit history.

Message 2 of 28
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

I've never been asked income either though I'm only at about $30k total credit after I started my Building/Rebuilding phase.

I wonder if they compare what you type in to the average in your area, with a hardline of some sort at which point they ask for verification?

Edit: My income is at $40k-$44k or so(it varies alot) with around $30k in credit. NFCU accounts for over $22k of that with Cap1 in 2nd place at $3300(just started with them several months ago though). I'm wondering how high my credit will get with my current income. I actually wouldn't even be using credit if it weren't for my medical bills that were close to being reported as collections.

Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

To further elaborate, in my own situation, I never would have thought about getting over 100K in TL's, but the information and inspiration from this forum has guided me to do so. It's more of a game to me now and credit is much less stressful. My own TL's grew very quickly through aggressive CLI requests and a big app spree, so I know I'm subject to AA, but I'm still less stressed out than I was before knowing that I know how to manage my credit and play the game.

It feels nice to finally have a credit portfolio worthy of my income. I guess the missing piece for me always was getting to 675-700+ FICO. When you need credit the most (even if it's just for improving your creditworthiness), they won't give it to you, and all I had to do is divert some income to clear out some debt, and 3 months later I have all of the cards I've ever wanted and enough credit available for anything I'd ever like to do.

I do know that some of the $5000 limit cards I've acquired recently would have resulted in non-approvals if I hadn't been able to submit as high of a stated income on the apps. Each one of those was probably borderline approval and many were the minimum issued CL for those particular products (I believe). If I had only been able to submit $50K income on those apps, I guarantee they wouldn't have been willing to extend the minimum $5K limit on several cards given my credit profile. Something won all of them over and it certainly wasn't my 670-690 credit score at the time. HAHA

Message 4 of 28
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When I see some of you guys and gals with 6 figures worth of credit on here it makes me wonder if you're all neurosurgeons, lawyers and CEO's or if it's more dependent on your history and score more than your actual income -- Can anyone (who has great credit history) obtain this  much credit or are all of you extremely high paid individuals?

Just curious if you're all highly successful or just managed your credit like a boss, I'd assume a combo of the two.

I've never been asked to verify income, seems like you can type in any number you want.

This is one of those YMMV topics.  There's not necessarily a correlation between high income and high credit limits.  There are many folks on here that have high incomes but low/mediocre  scores, just as there are folks here with middle class incomes (< $100K income and frequently in the <$50K range) that have stellar scores.  You cite 3 occupations (whether tongue-in-cheek or serious) that are far above what the average wage earner makes. 

Those of us with high scores (800+) frequently have very thick files.  Some of us have credit histories that go back 30 or more years.  In my case, my history is 40 years; no, not all of that shows on a credit report.  But folks who have long histories may have made some mistakes along the way (I certainly did) and learned from those mistakes.   Those learning experiences contribute to current good financial habits and decisions.  Having a thick file was probably contributory to my getting high limits.

As to income...I've never reported more than $80K ever, and in the last years of my employment (now retired), my reported income was ~$65K.  This was individual income, not household income, which some folks utilise. 

As to applying for and getting credit, I've been very fortunate.  Having close to $200K in credit limits is certainly beneficial, but somewhat artificial, as $50K of that is from Diners Club on a near instant approval.  That was my most recent aquisition and was mind blowing that they would grant me that much credit -- all on a hidden tradeline.  That said, I'm certainly not going to turn it down.  I simply manage it and other accounts judiciously.  And because of that, my scores have increased over the years to where they are now, with and without hidden TL.   The scores were what drove the higher credit limits, rather than the income.  Almost all of my credit cards were instant approvals, or approvals after less than a week and a goodly number of the current cards were with limits at $5K or more to start.  CLI have also been forthcoming, with and without requests.  Just recently, I was bumped up a couple grand on my Discover IT account, and didn't ask for it; was just automatically granted.

So...is it income based, or is it history based?  In my case, it's probably history based, as I have a substantial history of managing credit.  But I also have glitches along the way.  Fortunately, those no longer show up on my reports, hence the 800+ scores.  In  my case, the positive credit management resulted in getting high limits to start, and better results with CLI approvals.

Message 5 of 28
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

It has a lot to do with score and history more than income in my book. All of my credit lines are on a little over 50k of income. Still not sure what Chase is thinking Smiley Happy

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the responses, running to grab dinner now so i'll have to read them over in more detail when I'm done... I don't have bad income (when I have work) I'm a freelance visual artist / graphic designer and overall creative guy so WHEN I do have work I'm making at least $50/hour but it's kind of sporadic since sometimes I have it and sometimes I dont... It's hard for me to verify too sometimes so I'm glad I've never been asked yet lol.

Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

It have to do with score history and income... Score is how high ur score is.. If score is strong or weak. Based on what type of loan u have/had... Income is so they can give u high limit.. A cc company isn't going to give u a 75k limit on a card if ur making 75k a year.. Also depend how much u owe
Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

And some companies will give you ridiculous limits if you pump some money through their card... Synch just raised my lowes card to 12k... On reported income of 27k. On a card that was opened after I closed on my house 6/29/15. I started at 1500... put some flooring on it for 1k. Got an increase to do my gutters to 3500. Gutters were 1700. Paid off almost immediately, they raised it to 6k. Just put some carpet for around a grand and today logged in tomake a payment and its showing avail credit of 11k/12k limit.

Hell I wouldn't loan myself 12 grand lol.

Message 9 of 28
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Some lenders focus on risk, so they look at the past for a pattern, in other words your history. These companies tend to offer perks rather than rewards. A quieter living.

Some companies focus on income, of times to come, less concerned. They generally offer rewarding savings more so than preventive care perks. A livelier way.

It probably comes as no surprise that people on top may have less of a desire to rock the boat.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.