Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much history for BCE?

tag
BRlaw
Established Member

How much history for BCE?

I just opened all my accounts listed below in January when should I apply for BCE?

I had no previous credit history...

Discover IT $1000 - TJX MC $3750 - Walmart $950 - Citi AAdvantage $2000/NPSL - Macy's $1000 - Wells Fargo College $1000
Jcrew $1300 - Overstock $7000 - Chase Freedom $3500

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

Re: How much history for BCE?

@BRlaw wrote:

I just opened all my accounts listed below in January when should I apply for BCE?

I found out for my self after I had one year with an installment loan I was easy to get with AMEX.

Message 2 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@corymcd88 wrote:

@BRlaw wrote:

I found out for my self after I had one year with an installment loan I was easy to get with AMEX.

1 year works; six months *maybe* on a revolver.  Six months or thereabouts appears to be the minimum time to obtain a charge card from Amex. 

In your place, I'd absolutely throw an application in before the end of the year in order to set membership date, though you could two step it like I did, apply for a Green or whatever and then hit the BCE in January.  I did that when establishing my own account (Zync 9/18/12, BCP 1/13/13) successfully   Would note I had decently above median income (14th percentile at the time) which likely factored into it: based on your lineup (WF College) may make sense to just take the shot at the BCE directly.

        
Message 3 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

6 months

Message 4 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

6 months

+1 assuming everything else is acceptable. You can go the charge card app then if approved go for revolver route if you think you may be borderline. A full year history is def enough and I agree with the prior post saying you should apply at some point in 2014, even if its december, to get your 2014 membership start date. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 5 of 9
Twas_Sovereign
New Contributor

Seeing as you have applied for a lot of credit in such a short period of time, I would wait a year before attempting to apply for the BCE. Gives you a chance to improve your credit scores and establish a nice history with your current accounts.

I have heard of people getting the BCE with 6 month history. I am going to attempt it once I hit my 6 month mark. I have very little inquiries and 3 credit cards totaling $6300 with my highest CL of $3,100 on one card. Are my chances good at getting the BCE? 

Message 6 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Twas_Sovereign wrote:

Seeing as you have applied for a lot of credit in such a short period of time, I would wait a year before attempting to apply for the BCE. Gives you a chance to improve your credit scores and establish a nice history with your current accounts.

I have heard of people getting the BCE with 6 month history. I am going to attempt it once I hit my 6 month mark. I have very little inquiries and 3 credit cards totaling $6300 with my highest CL of $3,100 on one card. Are my chances good at getting the BCE? 

Yes

Message 7 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

Think it really depends. 6 months to a year would be a safe bet.

I just had my brother apply for the PRG today and he was approved. Currently he has Discover IT (approved Dec'13) and Chase Freedom (approved Jan'14). Discover just started reporting to his CRs after I had him call to request a manual update. Chase Freedom has yet to report to the CRAs. I also added him as AU on several accounts that are >5 years old, including my BCP (currently it states 2014 MSD for him). Wasn't really expecting much when he applied, but he somehow got approved. 

After that, I told him to apply for the BCE, since it's just going to be a SP if denied anyways. Denied. 

He's been an ACM on my dad's Singapore Amex since he was 15, so I told him to call in whenever he's free to have it updated. But yea it's a nice haul for someone who's starting out.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 9
BRlaw
Established Member

Thank you guys so much for the input! I guess I will definitely wait 6 months to apply. I guess I should have mentioned I have had student loans deferred on my CR for years and they are at some of those notoriously high amounts you hear about from certain professional schools! So they report and I guess give a history but they also look like a small "installment loan mortgages"... The only people who have really seen to care about them is chase, and I hope this is not the case for amex but I guess I will see in 6 months.

Discover IT $1000 - TJX MC $3750 - Walmart $950 - Citi AAdvantage $2000/NPSL - Macy's $1000 - Wells Fargo College $1000
Jcrew $1300 - Overstock $7000 - Chase Freedom $3500

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.