cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much spending makes green worth it?

tag
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Re: How much spending makes green worth it?

@jsucool76 wrote:

Charge cards don't report a limit, and aren't factored into utilization (except for older scoring models) so they don't hurt your score. a visa siggy/WMC that doesn't report a limit, will damage your utilization though.

Also, you used a personal amex for a business purchase from a vendor, which I'm fairly certain could've triggered an FR and had your account closed for breaking their rules anyways. Smiley Tongue

Nonsense. Comments like this do nothing to help and everything to hurt and fan the flames of FR. I have personal experience with this type spending. I pile a ton of business spend on my personal Gold for my business and for other companies when freelancing. Define a ton? $80,000 a year. I also pile a ton of business spend on my Delta Platinum and have 3 employees added as AU (and when I called I clearly stated that I wanted to add employees to my card). Define ton on this card? $60,000 a year. I also have three business AMEX cards (Platinum, Delta Reserve and SPG) that see heavy spend and often times same vendor, similar totals as on personal cards. My personal cards are even linked to my business checking account for payment online. Never heard a peep from AMEX. Ever. 

Is it against TOS? Might be, I never looked nor do I care. It's simply a fact that many people in business (small to large) use personal AMEX charge cards as a method of paying business bills that will be reimbursed to them quickly. Not every company offers AU to everyone and not every person will get a corporate card.

I would guess that this segment of customer (employee using personal card for business use) might be one of the largest pools of income for AMEX based just on the swipe fees for the spending. Think about it. 

Message 31 of 34
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Charge cards don't report a limit, and aren't factored into utilization (except for older scoring models) so they don't hurt your score. a visa siggy/WMC that doesn't report a limit, will damage your utilization though.

Also, you used a personal amex for a business purchase from a vendor, which I'm fairly certain could've triggered an FR and had your account closed for breaking their rules anyways. Smiley Tongue

Nonsense. Comments like this do nothing to help and everything to hurt and fan the flames of FR. I have personal experience with this type spending. I pile a ton of business spend on my personal Gold for my business and for other companies when freelancing. Define a ton? $80,000 a year. I also pile a ton of business spend on my Delta Platinum and have 3 employees added as AU (and when I called I clearly stated that I wanted to add employees to my card). Define ton on this card? $60,000 a year. I also have three business AMEX cards (Platinum, Delta Reserve and SPG) that see heavy spend and often times same vendor, similar totals as on personal cards. My personal cards are even linked to my business checking account for payment online. Never heard a peep from AMEX. Ever. 

Is it against TOS? Might be, I never looked nor do I care. It's simply a fact that many people in business (small to large) use personal AMEX charge cards as a method of paying business bills that will be reimbursed to them quickly. Not every company offers AU to everyone and not every person will get a corporate card.

I would guess that this segment of customer (employee using personal card for business use) might be one of the largest pools of income for AMEX based just on the swipe fees for the spending. Think about it. 

You're allowed to pay business bills with a personal card, you cannot however pay for inventory. when someone is buying something from a vendor that supplies their business, i assume it is an inventory purchase. I may be wrong though. 

Message 32 of 34
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@jsucool76 wrote:

@scenery_guy wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

You're allowed to pay business bills with a personal card, you cannot however pay for inventory. when someone is buying something from a vendor that supplies their business, i assume it is an inventory purchase. I may be wrong though. 

I've made purchases for an incredibly large organization on my personal Amex; so has my general manager, and expensed it back. 

It is occasionally easier than going through the hassle of our new vendor policy if we need something immediately and we're talking comparitively small expenses (<10K).

I think most of the triggers for FR's came from when Amex didn't know what was going on, and the spending pattern triggered one of their flags of irregularity if one's income didn't support the spending pattern.  Amex TOS like you suggest may well state that a business Amex should be used, but in reality, if they're getting paid, and the customer doesn't trip any flags, I suspect they don't really care.

I'd assume there's some limit to this, vis a vis the requirement that the consumer be able to pay it back, but there's lots of people with NPSL spending limits north of 10K that don't make the requisite 120K / year minimum if that were a monthly spend.

In this instance 80K or thereabouts per year, isn't a fantastic sum of money; even the aggregate number of 140K / year isn't.  I suspect it's when people are putting through that amount per month, on a reported income of 75K a year, that may trigger an FR; not the fact that they're running business expenses through a personal Amex.  FWIW, Amex Travel Office requires a personal credit card for expenses that are clearly going to be reimbursed, this really isn't any different.

        
Message 33 of 34
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Define inventory I guess. I purchase units of plywood and lumber. Bundles of aluminum pipe and flat stock. Stacks of laminate. Hardware. Paints and finishes. Electronics. Lighting fixtures. Of course when I applied for all my cards I list my employment as self and I believe every recon interview I have had they get in depth as to what I do for a living. Perhaps they note the type business and then it becomes the norm as they have a good idea as to what others in my industry purchase. 

Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.