Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much to spend on amex to get the 3x cli

tag
sureno90
Established Member

How much to spend on amex to get the 3x cli

Hey everyone! So how much should I spend every month so when I request the 3x cli I'll get approved? My limit is 3k. Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: How much to spend on amex to get the 3x cli

@sureno90 wrote:

Hey everyone! So how much should I spend every month so when I request the 3x cli I'll get approved? My limit is 3k. Thanks!

Some usage required but not a specific amount.

I was using about $100 per month on my BCE with a $4000 CL and still got a full 3X CLI. But as usual YMMV

Message 2 of 10
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

The factors lenders usuallly consider is your credit history and income and your total level of indebtedness.  If those factors support that kind of increase you will get it. Amex amy consier how much usage as well.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 3 of 10
sureno90
Established Member

Thanks!

Message 4 of 10
vngouiowa
Valued Member

@CS800 wrote:

@sureno90 wrote:

Some usage required but not a specific amount.

I was using about $100 per month on my BCE with a $4000 CL and still got a full 3X CLI. But as usual YMMV

how much is your income/salary ?  your Util overall ? 

thanks

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AndySoCal wrote:

The factors lenders usuallly consider is your credit history and income and your total level of indebtedness.  If those factors support that kind of increase you will get it. Amex amy consier how much usage as well.

+1 My experience is that it is based on debt obligations being too high relative to income. This includes non-revolving debt - in my case student loans. I was denied a CLI even though they mentioned I had excellent credit history with them.

Message 6 of 10
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@sureno90 wrote:

Hey sureno90!

My experience has been that they SP you during the 1st 60 days of acquiring a new account and if your profile stays the same and you have handled you account in a responsible manner, then you will get some kind of increase based on your income.  I have no evidence of this but I did track my SPs from Amex during my 61 days and noted that there was no new SP when I requested the CLI so my thought process is they use a previous SP to determine eligiblity.  I've done it with both my revolvers with them.  One I carried a balance and the other I PIF each month before requesting the CLI.  Both times I recieved a CLI with no new SP but with prior SPs after opening the accounts.  Also, I think it should be noted... if you utilize a Charge product with them before apping the revolver, I suspect that with heavy usage, it does factor into your over all CL when you do app the revolver.  Just my thoughts but I had a pretty high internal limit with my charge card before apping the revolver and got a pretty decent limit to start.  So for those that say don't get the Zync to develop a relationship with Amex, I recommend differently based on this premise.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 7 of 10
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

I am also interested in this topic as my 61 days cli request is going to be on Oct 3rd (9 days away).

Account closes on the 26th, first statement I charged $800 and $12 got reported.

Current statement is at $13XX charged and $0 is going to get reported.

Score dropped from 730 to 715 TU Walmart after the hit of new accs and inqs.

My income has not changed but I wonder if $25k would be way to little for them to give me a full 3xcli. If it is, do they counter offer the limit?

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 8 of 10
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Hey Cruzimperial!
I say always ask the full 3 X CL up to 25 K because if you are eligible for CLI, they will counter offer if not approved for the full 3 X. If you aren't approved for any CLIs, they denial outright with no counter offer. Good Luck! I really hope you get it! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 9 of 10
bribro
Valued Contributor

I only spent the minimum on my Blue Sky to get the signup bonus ($500 spend in my case). I then got my $400 statement credit and paid the remaining $100 off. I CLI'ed after 65 days from $10k to $22.5k.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.