Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much weight does Amex put on Income

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much weight does Amex put on Income

I was recently approved for an Amex Delta Gold with an $8,000 limit. Prior to applying I had one line of credit (I am 31), a $300 capital one card opened this past October. I applied because I read that it was an easier card to get and because I fly delta. I was shocked when I got the 7-10 day message. They asked that I send in either tax returns or Pay Stubs. I sent in pay stubs and was shocked when they approved the card. I was certain with my limited history I would get a $1K or $2K limit. My jaw hit the floor when they came back with an $8K limit and the rep told me to be sure to apply for an increase in 61 days.

Feeling lucky, I applied for a Discover card and was approved for $1,250, I then applied for a Citi Forward card and was approved for $2,000.

I make pretty good money, $165,000 last year.

Do Amex and these other providers put THAT much weight on income that they are willing to "take a chance" on someone with verified high income? My wife believes it was the combination of that and the fact that I am 31 and have accumulated $0 debt in my life...But even still, from everything I have read, this just doesn't make sense.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: How much weight does Amex put on Income

Amex stand out to be  pretty smart to start u with a flat $8k credit line.

No debt no baddie 31 years old. (FR) Income Submit.

$165.000 Income

Amex  sure know damn well what they doing......

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 16
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was recently approved for an Amex Delta Gold with an $8,000 limit. Prior to applying I had one line of credit (I am 31), a $300 capital one card opened this past October. I applied because I read that it was an easier card to get and because I fly delta. I was shocked when I got the 7-10 day message. They asked that I send in either tax returns or Pay Stubs. I sent in pay stubs and was shocked when they approved the card. I was certain with my limited history I would get a $1K or $2K limit. My jaw hit the floor when they came back with an $8K limit and the rep told me to be sure to apply for an increase in 61 days.

Feeling lucky, I applied for a Discover card and was approved for $1,250, I then applied for a Citi Forward card and was approved for $2,000.

I make pretty good money, $165,000 last year.

Do Amex and these other providers put THAT much weight on income that they are willing to "take a chance" on someone with verified high income? My wife believes it was the combination of that and the fact that I am 31 and have accumulated $0 debt in my life...But even still, from everything I have read, this just doesn't make sense.

Thoughts?

They didn't really take a chance.  Sounds like you had a fairly (or very thin file) but that's sort of information in itself, you hadn't gone wild with debt in the past.  Presumably your application stated your income approximately correctly.  In those circumstances (good income, but short credit history) they wanted to verify your income.  Once that was done, the 8K limit (rising in 61 days) is certainly reasonable.

If you had a longer credit history, they would have skipped income verification.

So the answer I guess is: a lot of weight if the credit history isn't there!

Message 3 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I suspect Amex is a little more generous (or perhaps a lot more generous) with whatever they feel is above average income.  Also income factors heavily into any lender's CL offering as well.

I'm almost absolutely certain by my own personal experience that there is a sliding scale as far as Amex underwriting goes, and income factors somewhat to heavily in that equation.  Waiting to see what my own offered limit is on what I listed as my annual income (125K, I always understate) on one of their blue cash revolvers which realistically I thought I had absolutely zero shot at given my own credit history.

On the other hand since I figured there's no sense making one application without making a second on a different report, I also picked up a USAA mastercard, 2K limit.  USAA is traditionally a little more generous with full members anecdotally (and I've had a secured loan with them for a year now) but in this case they matched the middle tradeline I have currently in terms of limit, so if Amex comes back and beats that, I think it's a non-trivial suggestion as to Amex's factoring income albeit I do have nearly four months history on my Zync that they could look at as well.

        
Message 4 of 16
stormb28
New Contributor

Man, you people are loaded, $100k+.
Message 5 of 16
nyancat
Established Contributor

I don't think Amex cares that much about income. About $25k here, self-employed (business is growing though). $15,600 limit on Amex... vs $1500 on Discover.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 6 of 16
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

I don't think Amex cares that much about income. About $25k here, self-employed (business is growing though). $15,600 limit on Amex... vs $1500 on Discover.

I put down 35000 and received a 10000 limit.

Message 7 of 16
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

As stated above, it appears to be sliding scale.  Based on threads I've seen, people with solid credit profiles, modest/reasonable income, still get good initial limits, often matching or near their other high limits.  Those reporting higher incomes can get high initial limits even if they have a few more issues in their credit past.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

I put down 35000 and received a 10000 limit.

I am guessing you have a great history.

Message 9 of 16
nyancat
Established Contributor

For me I suspect AmEx just decided to match the $15,600 limit of my parents Wells Fargo card that I'm still an AU on. 

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.