Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much weight does Amex put on Income

tag
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Re: How much weight does Amex put on Income

Reading these posts, sometimes I wish I had $100,000+ to burn xD

Nice approval, Amex is generous and that 8k will rise to the sky in 1 year. Grats!!
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 11 of 16
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

I feel like Amex looks at a person's entire profile instead of just at a credit score/history. If you don't have much history, big banks look at it as a risk. Amex looks at it as being responsible and not needing much debt, particularly if it's paired with a high income. To them, you aren't a risk when you have a high income and little to no debt. Plus this is an ideal combination for putting a high $ amount through the card. They sure know what they're doing.
Amex BCP $20k | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $16.5k | Amex HHonors $10k
Message 12 of 16
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

I think income and prior history with AMEX matters a lot. I was approved to Platinum last week with 91% utilization on reports... I have been running 80-90% utilization from last 8-9 months.

Message 13 of 16
Open123
Super Contributor

Without a history with them, not so much.  With a history, the "income" portion becomes increasingly important when levels of spending increase. 

I speculate that once spending hits north of $15K per month, income and type of spending takes on more and more importance.  For CLs and montly spends more than $25K, I'd imagine financial documents will be requested in the form of a 4056T, which then would make "income and assets" the MOST important.

Message 14 of 16
CreditSnob

@Open123 wrote:

Without a history with them, not so much.  With a history, the "income" portion becomes increasingly important when levels of spending increase. 

I speculate that once spending hits north of $15K per month, income and type of spending takes on more and more importance.  For CLs and montly spends more than $25K, I'd imagine financial documents will be requested in the form of a 4056T, which then would make "income and assets" the MOST important.

Does being an AU on an AMEX card count as personal history with them?

Message 15 of 16
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditSnob wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Does being an AU on an AMEX card count as personal history with them?

Yes, but I'm sure to what extent.  I'd imagine it'd be on a case by case basis, but Amex certainly tracks AUs.  

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.