Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often can you get pre-approvals?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How often can you get pre-approvals?

I'm building up my score prior to applying for the CSR. A few days ago I had a 698 and now I'm at 743 after getting the last negative (late payment) off my report. I'm just waiting for my last big card payoff to hit and I should be over 750 with that.

Does anyone know if the preapproval page on Chase pulls your report every time you do it or only once a day/week/month? Right now I see I'm only qualified for the CSP on that page and I've checked everyday for like 4 days (after realizing I opted out years ago and had to opt back in to get them). Also, do they see all the same info in the SP as they do with a HP? Why are preapprovals not guarantees if they have the same info?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How often can you get pre-approvals?

Oh also, should I wait a few days after my report is updated (I have creditreport.com service that updates EX daily) to apply for a card or will they get that latest report as soon as its ready?

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem is they don't pull a new SP every time. Maybe in-branch they can do a fresh SP.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm building up my score prior to applying for the CSR. A few days ago I had a 698 and now I'm at 743 after getting the last negative (late payment) off my report. I'm just waiting for my last big card payoff to hit and I should be over 750 with that.

Does anyone know if the preapproval page on Chase pulls your report every time you do it or only once a day/week/month? Right now I see I'm only qualified for the CSP on that page and I've checked everyday for like 4 days (after realizing I opted out years ago and had to opt back in to get them). Also, do they see all the same info in the SP as they do with a HP? Why are preapprovals not guarantees if they have the same info?

The CSR does not show up on the preapproval page AFAIK.  How far is your closes chase branch?  If you are prequalified for the CSP and at less than 5 cards in 2 years, I would just apply for the CSR.  If you can afford the spend  of 8k in 90 days then app for CSP too.  Otherwise I would say wait and do CSP later because it should have a bonus of 40-50k most of the time.  If you are at 3/24, then you could apply for the freedom at the same time as the CSR.  Inquiries should combine, if not, you would at least get approved for the freedom and CSP.

But, it sounds like your scores should go up a bit more too, and if you just paid of a big chucnk of your available credit, you might want chase to see that too.  If chase branch is close, go see if you are prequalified for the CSR.  If you are, then just wait until the new balances report and go apply. I would like to think we would hear rumors of the bonus going down before it actually does! 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The CSR does not show up on the preapproval page AFAIK.  How far is your closes chase branch?  If you are prequalified for the CSP and at less than 5 cards in 2 years, I would just apply for the CSR.  If you can afford the spend  of 8k in 90 days then app for CSP too.  Otherwise I would say wait and do CSP later because it should have a bonus of 40-50k most of the time.  If you are at 3/24, then you could apply for the freedom at the same time as the CSR.  Inquiries should combine, if not, you would at least get approved for the freedom and CSP.

But, it sounds like your scores should go up a bit more too, and if you just paid of a big chucnk of your available credit, you might want chase to see that too.  If chase branch is close, go see if you are prequalified for the CSR.  If you are, then just wait until the new balances report and go apply. I would like to think we would hear rumors of the bonus going down before it actually does! 

Interesting, why wouldn't they show the CSR on that page? I have a chase right here, I checked in branch before and had none but that was before I re-opted in to receiving preapprovals. I'll go back and check once that next payment hits, though maybe I'll go today just to see and apply later. I think I will pick up the CSP after i finish the CSR min spend, then PC it to an FU after I get the points.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Went in today, still only pre-approved for CSP. Hoping this last payoff will help. Currently on my report I have $5858/$20980 listed but I just paid my Amazon card in full ($2000), then I just have 1 of 6 cards with a balance that needs to go, and about 25% utilization on my care credit (no interest for 5 mo) card. I could pay off the other also but I'd prefer to have the cash on hand atm. Hoping the Amazon payment alone is enough because paying the other card wont hit before I plan to travel and I want to apply for the card before then.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone ever had a C$R on a pre quel page?
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Has anyone ever had a C$R on a pre quel page?

no.

OP, are you at <5/24?  If it doesnt show up after your reports are fine tuned, just apply if you are under 5 new cards in 2 years.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I should only be 1/24 (2/24 if my HP for a a CLI counts). Been awhile since I had good credit but finally paid everything off after a few years with high balances and ready to start using credit properly and taking advantage of reward points and benefits. I've been going a bit crazy reading this forum, the churning subreddit and watching my credit score everyday, I want the CSR so bad before I travel to visit a friend in Thailand next month Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 10
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

Only new accounts count towards 5/24
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.