cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often do you have to make purchases with store credit card to avoid the account being closed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How often do you have to make purchases with store credit card to avoid the account being closed?

I am wondering how often you need to make purchases with a store card to avoid the account being closed. I recently got an Amazon.com credit card (it is my first store card)

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: How often do you have to make purchases with store credit card to avoid the account being closed

Congrats on your amazon card! I really like mine!. I dont spend alot so far but i think its just recommended to use a card every couple months to be on the safe side. Doesnt have to be alot . For a store card, i think Amazons is pretty good especially if you make it prime , you get some good deals. Hope this is helpfulSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How often do you have to make purchases with store credit card to avoid the account being closed

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Congrats on your amazon card! I really like mine!. I dont spend alot so far but i think its just recommended to use a card every couple months to be on the safe side. Doesnt have to be alot . For a store card, i think Amazons is pretty good especially if you make it prime , you get some good deals. Hope this is helpfulSmiley Happy

Thank you for the info, I regularly shop on Amazon.com so it was the only store card that made sense to get, I am also a Prime member. I get a lot of Amazon.com Gift cards from family members that live outside of the country so I do always need to charge things to a card but I can definetly make a purchase every couple of months on it without a problem. Do you know if they regularly do credit limit increases on their own or do you have to request it?

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am wondering how often you need to make purchases with a store card to avoid the account being closed. I recently got an Amazon.com credit card (it is my first store card)

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

Congrats on your approval, OP!

Just to confirm, is this the Amazon credit card issued by Chase, or the Amazon store card issued by Synchrony (which you can only use at Amazon and nowhere else)?

My impression from reading these boards is that one can get away with using store cards much less often (something like once every 6 months) than regular credit cards like the Chase Amazon (in this case you probably want to stick to something like once every 3 months).

The Synchrony Amazon store card often does automatic credit line increases (with soft pulls). I'm not sure about the Chase Amazon, but seeing that it's Chase, it might be a 'your mileage may vary' sort of thing.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazon and Lowes are the only 2 store cards that I own. Otherwise I pretty much just use my CPS, Chase Freedom and AMX here and there. Discover has sorta been stuck on the back burner. I may buy something with it here and there to keep my credit line in good standing. 

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval, OP!

Just to confirm, is this the Amazon credit card issued by Chase, or the Amazon store card issued by Synchrony (which you can only use at Amazon and nowhere else)?

My impression from reading these boards is that one can get away with using store cards much less often (something like once every 6 months) than regular credit cards like the Chase Amazon (in this case you probably want to stick to something like once every 3 months).

The Synchrony Amazon store card often does automatic credit line increases (with soft pulls). I'm not sure about the Chase Amazon, but seeing that it's Chase, it might be a 'your mileage may vary' sort of thing.

It is the Store card, I wanted to get a store card to improve my credit mix Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Good info from Tridente!. If your card is from Sync you may also try to umprove your cl with a call to CS credit Solutions. I havent had my card long enough to get any auto luv but maybe in the futureSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Good info from Tridente!. If your card is from Sync you may also try to umprove your cl with a call to CS credit Solutions. I havent had my card long enough to get any auto luv but maybe in the futureSmiley Happy

I actually got an $800 auto CLI after my 3rd statement posted (I usually spend about $120-180 a month on that card). So hang in there, I'm sure an auto luv is coming up!

It's been a great card so far - I calculated that given my spending patterns on Amazon, I will recoup a great deal of my Prime membership fee (maybe even all) just from the cash back, which made getting the card a no-brainer for me!

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have any store cards at all. I do have the Chase Amazon Visa Signature credit card though. I like it Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you know if they regularly do credit limit increases on their own or do you have to request it?

My husband got the Amazon store card on 2/15/16 with SL of $1500.  On 4/19, they raised it to $3500.  In June they raised it to $4800.  These were done with the request button or shortly after.  I do put a lot of spend through it, ordering several times a week and PIF several times a month.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.