cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often do you request a new replacement card?

tag
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

How often do you request a new replacement card?

I usually request new cards for all my accounts at the beginning of the year - usually citing the magnetic strip not taking.  Just to get my cards relatively fresh looking, I think I'll start doing it every 6 months.

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
bribro
Valued Contributor

Re: How often do you request a new replacement card?

Whenever mine start to really look worn out.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 2 of 8
MyCreditSucksTheMost
Contributor

@bribro wrote:

Whenever mine start to really look worn out.

Do you ever melt the paladium down and sell it?lol.

I probably get a new card every couple of years, I dont feel like dealing with hassle unless something warrants the need.

Staring Scores:Transunion-636 Equifax-618 Experian- 640 (8/12):
Current Scores:Transunion-717 Equifax-(?) Experian 726(as of 11/18/13):

Goal 760 Across the Board:

Message 3 of 8
Coldness
Contributor

Yeah, I just wait until they expire and a new one comes in... we'll see how Amex and Discover look towards the end of their life with such long expiration times. 

Unless a card actually has a strip fail, I see no reason to replace it. It's still just plastic sitting in my wallet 99% of the time. if it looks a ltitle worn it's just battle scars Smiley Wink 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Usually about every 6 months. From being in my wallet and sitting on them, they usually end up cracking right below the mag strip. Never looks good handing someone a cracked Amex! Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 8
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

Unless the card is not working I don't order any.

My BOA debit card after about 6 months it snapped it half and they wanted $5 to replace it !!

I was ready to close my account if they didn't send me free replacement card.

Unless you forgot your card in HOT car it should work till expiation date.

Message 6 of 8
ajh5408
Contributor

Only occasionally, and usually due to bending/cracking more than strip wear. Some cards definitely take abuse a lot better than others, though... I try not to be too OCD about scuffing, or I'd have to replace my AMEX Clear after just about every use. Smiley Frustrated

Message 7 of 8
Quips
Regular Contributor

Rarely - only when they are hard for the card swipers to read. Worn out a couple of Amex's over the years but that's about it

FICO: EQ 769, TU 762 , EX ???

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.