cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often should I use Amazon Store Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How often should I use Amazon Store Card?

The Amazon Store Card is one that I regret opening. I have a 4k limit, and I have only used it one time since I have had it, for exactly $2.00. This charge was in April 2015. How often do I need to use the card in order to prevent it from being closed due to inactivity?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: How often should I use Amazon Store Card?

You could probably get away with once a year or every six months to be safe. Of course if you regret it, you could always just close it. 

Message 2 of 15
bstone
Frequent Contributor

Who would regret an Amazon card? You can buy nearly everything you need/want, get 5% cash back if you have Prime and 12 months 0% on purchases over only a few hundred dollars.
NFCU Rewards - $18,000, NFCU Signature - $18,000, NFCU LOC - $15,000, Care Credit - $7,700, Lowe's - $6,400, Capital One QS - $5,000, Walmart - $5,000, Amazon - $4,000
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bstone wrote:
Who would regret an Amazon card? You can buy nearly everything you need/want, get 5% cash back if you have Prime and 12 months 0% on purchases over only a few hundred dollars.

A lot of people ask me this. I regret it because I don't shop on Amazon enough to pay for Prime, so I don't get the 5% back. Also, I have never bought anything on Amazon that was expensive enough to use the financing, so it is of no use to me right now. I apped for this card right after I got the WalMart card, in that haze of "holy-crap, I can actually get approved for stuff" phase.

I don't want it to be closed, because eventually it may be handy for a larger purchase that I want to pay for over time. But I would always choose to use Discover when purchasing on Amazon right now (especially with the double promo).

Message 4 of 15
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@bstone wrote:

A lot of people ask me this. I regret it because I don't shop on Amazon enough to pay for Prime, so I don't get the 5% back. Also, I have never bought anything on Amazon that was expensive enough to use the financing, so it is of no use to me right now. I apped for this card right after I got the WalMart card, in that haze of "holy-crap, I can actually get approved for stuff" phase.

I don't want it to be closed, because eventually it may be handy for a larger purchase that I want to pay for over time. But I would always choose to use Discover when purchasing on Amazon right now (especially with the double promo).

I think a lot of us can relate to this feeling. In that case just make a few small purchases to hold onto the card, because you never know when it will come in handy. The only possible downside I can see is that Synchrony does a CLD on you at some point, but that's an unkwown factor at this time. 

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bstone wrote:

I think a lot of us can relate to this feeling. In that case just make a few small purchases to hold onto the card, because you never know when it will come in handy. The only possible downside I can see is that Synchrony does a CLD on you at some point, but that's an unkwown factor at this time. 

I agree. I wouldn't be terribly upset if they did CLD me. The fact is that my limit is way larger than I can forsee needing. My WalMart card is also 4k, but I actually use it occasionally to save five cents on gas. I would probably use the WalMart financing before I would use Amazon. At least at WalMart I can walk in the store, see what I want, and leave with it right then, without waiting on shipping. Either way, I wouldn't be heartbroken if they CLD me. It's business, and I totally understand that.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazon and Walmart are the two most useful for me at this point. I'll probably put purchases on both every couple of months, especially when Chase and Discover are out of the 5% period (although Discover is 2% for the next twelve months) and the financing will be helpful for my next big purchase.
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd go with every couple months. If you put your Jan-June Amazon spend on it, it will probably be fine. 

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you live by yourself? A lot of Amazon marketing pushes for the home's needs. Nothing wrong with that. share the cost of Prime membership with your family and save money at the same time. your credit will get stronger for it using the card
Message 9 of 15
Grafton88
Established Contributor

I think this just shows that you should only get store cards that are right for you.  An Amazon store card would be great for me and I plan on getting one next month.  I buy a lot from Amazon and could use the 5% back and the no interest part for large purchases.

You have great scores so I don't think you need this card.  You could just put it in a sock drawer and see if they let you keep it.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.